• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: M's in Oakland, 4/10-12

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's just no reason. Now you wasted your closer in a non save situation which probably makes him unavailable tomorrow.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
w/l for pitchers is a moronic stat is the problem

teams win and lose games

this proves that
w/l for pitchers is a moronic stat is the problem

teams win and lose games

this proves that

True to a point, but their isn't much else to base a pitcher off of. If that were the case would have the greatest WAR or whatever nerdy stat there is if all time. With an average team he'd be getting his Cooperstown speech written instead of having to pray they change their bench marks for pitchers. As great as Felix is, he never dominated as Koufax did and he is the only other starter I can think that's win total didn't sniff HOF worthy.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For all the bad you can find in today's game, there is a lot of positives too.

Felix gives up more than a couple of runs, and the M's don't actually lose. That's kind of different.

Rodney entirely craps the bed and blows a 4 run lead, and the M's don't actually lose.

Batting wasn't there early and yet they got enough done to come out with a W.

And not all of the run production is coming from Seager/Cruz/Cano.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rodney better kick that habit really quick... That was ugly... When your closer can't hang onto a 4 run lead it's pretty bad......Glad they scraped out the win regardless...

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I absolutely love reading through the game threads the next day. So much over reaction. So much anger. then SO little enjoying of the good stuff.

First of all I agree, using Rodney, or your closer whoever it is in non save situations is dumb. It seems every closer always is crappy in those spots. The juice just isn't there.

Second. How about Cruz breaking out the boom stick for the big time win!

Also those that are criticizing Lomo, he did get on base and eventually score the winning run the day before. Give him time, with him, its never been "ability" its staying healthy. His numbers will round into form as long as he stays healthy. It's WAY too early too look at numbers, they haven't even gotten 20 ab's yet.

Also those that want to throw Ackley into the leadoff spot.... just like you shouldn't over react to Lomos bad stats. dont overreact to ackleys good.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rodney better kick that habit really quick... That was ugly... When your closer can't hang onto a 4 run lead it's pretty bad......Glad they scraped out the win regardless...

That's part of Rodney's game though and they knew that when they signed him. He gets himself in trouble but last year it worked out, hopefully it this is just one time where it caught up with him and not a trend.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I absolutely love reading through the game threads the next day. So much over reaction. So much anger. then SO little enjoying of the good stuff.
What you're doing is just as immature as the people you're attempting to be condescending towards.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What you're doing is just as immature as the people you're attempting to be condescending towards.

I didn't call the people that do that immature so not sure why the need to call me that. I was Just admitting that I get a guilty pleasure out of reading those threads. If the people I was talking about realize that its silly to get up in arms the way they do and then basically ignore all the good things that happen thats a bonus.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're a truly amazing fan. Congratulations.

kcden

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,680.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which is why is, "Arrow Shooting" celebrating is exhausting... He's our closer... A closer who finished the year with almost a 3.00 era last season... A closer who allowed over 50% of the runners he faced to reach base... 40 saves was nice but he overachieved... He won't touch 40 this year... As you can tell, I hate the "Arrow" celebration... :L... Always have...

???

He faced (286) batters last year.
He allowed (61) hits, (28) Walks, (3) Intentional Walks and (3) HBP's

His WHIP was pretty crappy last year, but that isn't close to 50% of hitters reaching base.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't call the people that do that immature so not sure why the need to call me that. I was Just admitting that I get a guilty pleasure out of reading those threads. If the people I was talking about realize that its silly to get up in arms the way they do and then basically ignore all the good things that happen thats a bonus.

I think the problem is that you seem like an overly optimistic person where as this board is full of realists and pessimists. You can look at the good things they do and still be concerned about the negatives just as you feel fans should look at the silver linings.

And just out of curiosity what have the Mariners ever really done to make you an optimist about them?

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
???

He faced (286) batters last year.
He allowed (61) hits, (28) Walks, (3) Intentional Walks and (3) HBP's

His WHIP was pretty crappy last year, but that isn't close to 50% of hitters reaching base.

50% is an exaggeration because its hard to remember the 15 saves he had that you weren't sitting there screaming as opposed to the other 25 that he teetered on the brink of disaster. His up and down performance is nearly a given but as long as the down part doesn't involve blown saves we should be happy. And besides the big club needs him to succeed cause its the bullpen arms that are going to get sent down when they make their inevitable call up to strengthen the OF.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the problem is that you seem like an overly optimistic person where as this board is full of realists and pessimists. You can look at the good things they do and still be concerned about the negatives just as you feel fans should look at the silver linings.

And just out of curiosity what have the Mariners ever really done to make you an optimist about them?

signed the best two FA bats the last two off seasons. finally developed an offensive guy and extended him to a team friendly contract. Constantly put together great bull pens. Look I get it. i can be as critical as the next guy. Look to last year. I started the infamous "the seasons over" thread after a long losing streak after the all star break....

I just find it funny when people lose their minds so early. I mean Felix got lit up yesterday, should we go chicken little mode on that?

I think its just that people are sooo dialed in on football. Baseball is way different. Were two series into the year which means theres about 13 minutes left in the first quarter of the first seahawks game....

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
signed the best two FA bats the last two off seasons. finally developed an offensive guy and extended him to a team friendly contract. Constantly put together great bull pens. Look I get it. i can be as critical as the next guy. Look to last year. I started the infamous "the seasons over" thread after a long losing streak after the all star break....

I just find it funny when people lose their minds so early. I mean Felix got lit up yesterday, should we go chicken little mode on that?

I think its just that people are sooo dialed in on football. Baseball is way different. Were two series into the year which means theres about 13 minutes left in the first quarter of the first seahawks game....

So you're a big splash guy? Yes, they signed the two bats but 2 big bats don't overhaul a shitty offense. They have been able to find amazing bullpen arms, but on that note why bid against yourself for a closer?

I can see your analogy to football except this isn't the Seahawks, its the Jaguars going three and out and having the insert team taking it across midfield. Plenty of time but when it looks same ole same ole, you can understand fans feelings pointing out the negatives before getting giddy over the positives.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Football games can be lost in the 1st quarter and baseball seasons can be lost in the first month. Yes it is a marathon, but even marathons can be lost with a bad start and not every strong kick will win it for you.

First of all I agree, using Rodney, or your closer whoever it is in non save situations is dumb. It seems every closer always is crappy in those spots. The juice just isn't there.

Second. How about Cruz breaking out the boom stick for the big time win!

Also those that are criticizing Lomo, he did get on base and eventually score the winning run the day before. Give him time, with him, its never been "ability" its staying healthy. His numbers will round into form as long as he stays healthy. It's WAY too early too look at numbers, they haven't even gotten 20 ab's yet.

Also those that want to throw Ackley into the leadoff spot.... just like you shouldn't over react to Lomos bad stats. dont overreact to ackleys good.

I found it a bit condescending and unfair. You can act overly giddy about a good start, but say to others it is comical to get overly down over a bad start. One is just as fair (or unfair depending on your viewpoint) as the other. It is baseball and scrutinization from one play to the next is most common. That is how we stay addicted to a game that roughly takes up 486 hours of our year.