• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

MRI for Knight

occupant

Resident Inhabitant and nerve striker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oklahoma Sooners QB Trevor Knight has MRI on knee, source says - ESPN

"Oklahoma quarterback Trevor Knight visited an Oklahoma City hospital to get his knee examined Sunday morning, but the injury is not believed to be serious, a team source told ESPN.com.

Knight injured the knee on a run at the end of the first half. He played on the injury through the third quarter before the Sooners replaced him with Blake Bell early in the fourth. The source said Knight had an MRI on the knee to confirm there were no tears, but the results of the scan were not immediately available."

Mac_Bridger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm glad they think there's nothing serious, but I hope his knee checks out clean. The kid has a bright future ahead.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're going to need a lot more than 3 QB's if they only last 6 QTRs each.

Wheat

High Plains Drifter...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
full read...

OU football: Knee injury might help explain Trevor Knight's poor performance in third quarter

ESPN.com reports Knight had an MRI on his knee but that the injury isn't thought to be serious, citing a team source.

By Jason Kersey Published: September 8, 2013

NORMAN — Oklahoma coaches benched Trevor Knight for Blake Bell at the beginning of the fourth quarter Saturday, when the Sooners beat West Virginia 16-7.

Oklahoma's Trevor Knight (9) is stopped after a run by Ishmael Banks (34) during a college football game between the University of Oklahoma Sooners (OU) and the West Virginia University Mountaineers at Gaylord Family-Oklahoma Memorial Stadium in Norman, Okla., on Saturday, Sept. 7, 2013. Photo by Steve Sisney, The Oklahoman

The reason behind the quarterback switch seemed pretty obvious. Knight was coming off a quarter in which he'd recorded more interceptions (two) than pass completions (one). Both picks came in Mountaineers' territory on drives that could've helped OU firmly take control of the game.

Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops did nothing to change that perception in his postgame news conference when asked why he made the quarterback change.

“I was talking to Josh (Heupel) and I'm not going to detail much of it, but at the end of the day, this was a tight competition and I just feel that it wasn't as good as we needed to be in the throwing game, so we gave (Bell) his chance,” Stoops said.

But Sunday, new information surfaced that might help explain Knight's poor performance — and the noticeable change in play calling — in the third quarter.

Tricia Knight, Trevor's mother, posted a Facebook status Sunday morning from Oklahoma City's McBride Orthopedic Hospital that said, “Praying no damage to Trevor's knee.”

Later Sunday, ESPN.com reported Knight had an MRI on his knee but that the injury isn't thought to be serious, citing a team source.

Just before halftime, Knight kept the ball on an option play from West Virginia's 9-yard line and ran down the middle toward the end zone. He picked up six yards before Mountaineers safety Karl Joseph dove at his legs and brought Knight down at the 3.

Knight was a little slow to get up, and seemed to limp around on the field as OU called a timeout.
During the timeout, OU staffers examined Knight's leg, but the redshirt freshman went back into the game for one more play — he overthrew Jalen Saunders in the end zone — before halftime.

In the first half, Knight completed 9 of 15 passes for 113 yards and a touchdown, and also rushed seven times for 55 yards.

In the second, though, he didn't record any rushes, and coaches appeared to move away from dialing up options, instead asking Knight to either hand off to running backs or drop back and pass. He completed only 1 of 5 pass attempts in the second half for six yards.

Knight, a San Antonio native, emerged from a tough, long quarterback derby with Bell and sophomore Kendal Thompson that began last January after four-year starter Landry Jones' eligibility ran out.

Bell was the odds-on favorite to win the spot because he'd been Jones' primary backup in 2012, and had gained valuable game experience working in the popular short-yardage “Belldozer” package.

By all accounts, Thompson had an impressive spring and, for a time, appeared to present the biggest challenge to Bell. But the Southmoore product broke his foot on the first day of fall camp.

Knight impressed coaches throughout fall practices with his big-play ability and athleticism, which seemed like a perfect fit for Oklahoma's new pistol, zone-read offense. A little more than a week before OU's season opener against Louisiana-Monroe, Stoops named Knight his starter.

Knight struggled some with his passes in the Sooners' opener, but wowed fans with a 100-yard rushing game. Stoops always insisted that the competition was ongoing, but also made clear that he wouldn't make any impulsive changes based on a few early mistakes.

Stoops said Thompson might be able to return to action after the Sooners' bye the weekend of Sept. 21, and didn't rule him out of the position battle when he's healthy again.

No one will know the full extent of Knight's knee injury, his status moving forward or who will start next weekend's home game against Tulsa until at least Monday when Stoops speaks to reporters.

But — because of injury, ineffectiveness or some combination of both — one thing is now abundantly clear: Oklahoma's quarterback derby is back on.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OU football: Knee injury might help explain Trevor Knight's poor performance in third quarter

What about the previous 6 quarters.
What explains that??

Wheat

High Plains Drifter...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NORMAN — Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops confirmed Monday morning that redshirt freshman quarterback Trevor Knight will miss Saturday’s home game against Tulsa with a bruised knee.
Junior Blake Bell will start the game — the first start of his career — and sophomore Kendal Thompson will return to practice Monday as Bell’s backup.

Thompson suffered a foot injury early in fall camp that had kept him from practicing to this point.
Stoops said Knight’s injury occurred just before halftime, when he ran up the middle toward the end zone and sustained a hit to his leg.

Knight continued to play in the third quarter, but didn’t record any rushing attempts and threw two interceptions in West Virginia territory.

“I’m sure it did affect him to some degree,” Stoops said of the knee injury. “I’m sure it bothered him.”

OU coaches replaced Knight with Bell to start the fourth quarter. Stoops said the decision was made because of both the injury and Knight’s performance.

“It’s both,” Stoops said. “It doesn’t matter. I said I didn’t feel things were what they needed to be.

“The bottom line was we had to do something different.”

occupant

Resident Inhabitant and nerve striker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Bruised Knee" is actually strained PCL/ACL ligature and a burst bursa sac.

4 weeks minimum.

ALSO...Kendall is practicing today. To what extent I'm not sure, but he's out there.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Bruised Knee" is actually strained PCL/ACL ligature and a burst bursa sac.

4 weeks minimum.

ALSO...Kendall is practicing today. To what extent I'm not sure, but he's out there.

You got a link showing all that about knight?

Wheat

High Plains Drifter...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've looke around and haven't seen anything new on TK. Nothing more than bruised knee, but no time constraints.

We'll see....

Wheat

High Plains Drifter...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've looke around and haven't seen anything new on TK. Nothing more than bruised knee, but no time constraints.

We'll see....

meant to say 1-2 weeks out is all I've seen, so far.

Wheat

High Plains Drifter...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
here is the lastest...

Trevor Knight out 1-2 weeks

Updated: September 9, 2013, 6:19 PM ET
By Brandon Chatmon | ESPN.com

Oklahoma quarterback Trevor Knight isn't expected to practice for two weeks and will miss at least one game after suffering a bruised knee Saturday against West Virginia, coach Bob Stoops said Monday.

Blake Bell, who was beaten out by Knight prior to the season, will start at quarterback against visiting Tulsa this Saturday, Stoops said during Monday's Big 12 teleconference.

"Trevor does have a bruised knee," Stoops said. "He will in all likelihood be out for this week. Blake Bell will start."

Stoops said he thought Bell "looked comfortable" and "was doing everything like you'd want him to do."

Knight, a redshirt freshman, injured the knee on a run at the end of the first half of the Sooners' 16-7 win over the Mountaineers. He returned in the third quarter but had passes intercepted on back-to-back possessions and was replaced by Bell at the beginning of the fourth quarter.

Knight completed 10 of 20 passes but was only 1-of-5 passing in the second half.

"When we made the switch, regardless of what reasonings, things just weren't going as well as we felt they should have," Stoops said. "So we wanted to give Blake an opportunity. With Trevor now being out a week or two ... we're starting Blake here this week."

It's not all bad news for OU (2-0), as the Sooners expected quarterback Kendal Thompson to return to practice Monday for the first time since breaking his foot in the first practice of preseason camp.

Thompson, a redshirt sophomore, will be Bell's backup against Tulsa (1-1).

Bell, Thompson and Knight have been battling since January to replace former OU quarterback Landry Jones.

If Thompson's injury flares up, then fourth-stringer Cody Thomas would be Bell's backup against the Golden Hurricane.

The situation has all the makings of an in-season quarterback derby, something the Sooners haven't faced since 2005, when Paul Thompson started the opener -- a shocking home loss to TCU -- before giving way to Rhett Bomar, who started the rest of the season.

Stoops has said many times that the preseason competition was close between Knight, Bell and Thompson, and he waited until nine days before the season opener to choose Knight over Bell as the Sooners' starter. Before Thompson's injury, Stoops said Thompson "was right in the middle" of the competition with Bell and Knight.

Stoops said he expects it will take Thompson about a week "to get back in the groove. He was doing fantastic before he got hurt. He's been in the room and at practice mentally. He should pick it up fairly quickly."

So how do Oklahoma coaches decide between Knight, Bell and Thompson? Stoops wouldn't give any indication.

"I've said it for a year," Stoops said. "They're all pretty much the same. They all can run. They all can throw. They're all athletic. There's not a lot of difference in their skill set as far as what they can do."

Stoops said he doesn't have a policy -- as do some football coaches -- about players potentially losing starting jobs because of injury.

"I'm sure, through my years, some have and some have not," he said. "A lot of what determines that is if it's a guy that's played for three years and has already earned it and we know what he can do, when he gets injured, it's pretty likely I'm going to put him back in there when he gets back. If a guy hasn't been playing for two or three years, then maybe not. So, I don't know."

Running back Brennan Clay, who rushed for a career-high 170 yards on 22 carries against West Virginia, said that as far as the players are concerned, there has been no distraction caused by the discussion about who will play quarterback.

"We know whoever is going to be our starting quarterback is going to get the job done," Clay said. "We have faith in him. We rely on him and he is going to lead our offense out there and we're going to get the job done. I don't think that's a distraction for us. We put our trust in our quarterback."

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I'd like to see Bell run the playbook. I saw him do some passing in mop up duty against worn out defenses, but that's not the same.

I know the guy is big, and can run, and can hand it off to guys that can run. That doesn't bother me.
If he struggles against Tulsa with the passing game, then we are in serious trouble going into South Bend.

td2play

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well how is Kendal Thompson has any body see him play.
About the same as TK from what I saw in the spring game. He can run but can he throw?