• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Moving to wait and see

wbon22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So...how was your weekend?

Well, after nearly having a stroke over who the Flyers did or didn't draft yesterday I went for a lovely walk in the woods. I came home and they had traded JvR. I had a few malt beverages and reviewed the carnage.

Trading Bob cleared cap and contract space. He was not a backup. It is a mind set and not an easy one. The trade was really best for him and the Flyers got a decent return. (in theory)

Drafting Laughton: I am open to this. He is seen as a worst case scenario 10 goal shutdown forward. Best case as a Madden type 20-25 goal shutdown forward. Neither is a bad thing. He wouldn't have been my #1, but I think overall he was as good a pick as any. After that the Flyers draft took a distinct turn off the path that at least appeared to be there for them (Dalton Thrower) and it just got stranger from there. It could all turn out to be great for the organization....but we shall have to see....

Trading JvR for Schenn: Hello...now that is the Homer that we are used to. Take a big name and toss it. Both players were in the "high draft pick not where we want them to be" bubble. JvR committed the cardinal sin of being injured and getting outside medical advice. Schenn has never had veteran defensemen mentoring him and has been learning on the job since he was drafted. This is just a great deal for both players and potentially for both teams.

Now...what this means is that the Flyers have removed a contract from the 50 man, they have dropped nearly 2mil in total cap hit (Bob and the difference between JvR and Schenn). They have added a legit NHL right handed defenseman. And they did it without breaking up the top line, and keeping the 2nd line (on paper) intact. It also appears to set in motion a longer game of wait and see than one might expect. This is Kimmo's last year under contract. He is most likely returning to Finland after this. The Pronger contract will continue to count as long as the current CBA language is there. If the CBA changes, then that issue will go away. The Flyers still have Giroux, Hartnell, Briere, Simmonds, Read, Cooter, Talbot locked up. Voracek is an RFA but that should not be too big of a hit. Carle is a UFA but that shold be doable. Getting Jagr back would be popular with the team...Then we wait.

That is...until Homer's phone starts going nutso again.

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Id love to get Gaustad or Moen