• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Moving along to San Diego May 8-9

PhantomWarrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And they shouldn't be this bad.
Indeed. But it seems they are all clueless at the plate. Not to mention Nick serving up some grapefruit.

Lucroy is in a FA run up and his bat is terrible.

PhantomWarrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Odor needs to go back down andget some things worked out
Yep send down a dude just signed to a long term contract with ponies.

Maybe threaten to godfather the ponies and he turns.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too much underachieving this season... a few trades and/or signings can fix that:

1) Trade Elvis to Colorado for Trevor Story.
2) Sign Ryan Howard, just released by the Braves, to play 1B and move Napoli to DH.
3) Trade anyone to SF for Melvin Upton, Jr, who is just rotting in the minors.

That would add at least 5 more strikeouts per game. There's no reason we can't be striking out 18-20 times a night. We have the talent to do it. We're close as it is, just need a few more guys to get us into rare company.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 hits, 1 run on the Choo HR and 13 K's. These guys are fucking awful

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 hits, 1 run on the Choo HR and 13 K's. These guys are fucking awful
Yep, and they are going to suck for at least the next 2-3 years. That's just the reality of things. They've got a toxic mix of too many holes, bad contracts, and little-to-no help on the way from the upper minors. I would put every single player on the roster except Mazara up for sale this year. Specifically I would:

• Hope and pray that the Rockies somehow manage to stay in first place all year. If they do, they might be World Series hopeful enough to part with Brendan Rodgers for a package built around Darvish, Hamels, Andrus, and/or Bush (or literally anyone else they might want).
  • See if anyone would part with a very good or solid pitching prospect for Odor and/or Gallo.
  • Then spend literally whatever it takes in the offseason to land the rights to Japanese stud Shohei Otani (only 23).

It's a total pipe dream, but landing Rodgers, Otani, and one more decent pitching prospect to go with Mazara would provide a really solid core to build around and speed up the rebuild process. But it's that level of re-boot this team needs, unfortunately.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, and they are going to suck for at least the next 2-3 years. That's just the reality of things. They've got a toxic mix of too many holes, bad contracts, and little-to-no help on the way from the upper minors. I would put every single player on the roster except Mazara up for sale this year. Specifically I would:

• Hope and pray that the Rockies somehow manage to stay in first place all year. If they do, they might be World Series hopeful enough to part with Brendan Rodgers for a package built around Darvish, Hamels, Andrus, and/or Bush (or literally anyone else they might want).
  • See if anyone would part with a very good or solid pitching prospect for Odor and/or Gallo.
  • Then spend literally whatever it takes in the offseason to land the rights to Japanese stud Shohei Otani (only 23).

It's a total pipe dream, but landing Rodgers, Otani, and one more decent pitching prospect to go with Mazara would provide a really solid core to build around and speed up the rebuild process. But it's that level of re-boot this team needs, unfortunately.

Do you agree that we need to try and duplicate what the Yankees did at the deadline last year?

There's no doubt in my mind that we need to gather as many prospects as possible and replenish the farm. These guys probably wouldn't beat the Astros the next few years anyway. Reload while the Astros are really good. Seems like a no brainer to me.

Darvish, Lucroy, cash, and Gomez shouldn't be here August 1st.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously you guys are not listening to McLemore. They're grinding and will start piecing some hits together and will jump right in there and be fine. Include Mac in any trade.:nod:

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Starting to think this might be my fault. I went to Spring Training in '14, and look what happened there.

I went again this year.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Starting to think this might be my fault. I went to Spring Training in '14, and look what happened there.

I went again this year.
Stay out!!!! lol:D

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They had 6 position players who played about 150 games and just had two back to back long post seasons. They were driven into the ground by a manager that didn't like giving veterans many off days. That flip switch theory is impossible to quantify.
Well, I wasn't looking to quantify it. Not everything is quantifiable.

I agree with you about the manager running them into the ground. I do feel they became a team of flip switchers as well.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My thing w Jeffress, that I didnt know at the time of the trade, is that he is one failed test away from being out of the league. I just don't give up anything really for a guy like that. Even if you think he might be 1 of a couple pieces that may get you deep in one postseason
Yes, that should have been a big red flag. I didn't like what we had to add to the trade to get him even before I knew about that issue.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think most Texans are bandwagon fans. I mean look at the Astros park. The last series that we had with them is the most packed I've ever seen the juice box ( I only pay attention to it while we're there). The rockets started selling more tickets the last few years. The Rangers attendance was highest when we were good. It seems like a lot of people are picky and won't go unless the team is really good. Speaking of which.... before anyone calls me out on it. I'm going to a game in the TB series this year and I have a mariners ticket for June / July forgot which month.
I used to hear just the opposite about Rangers fans back in the late 80s and early 90s. I remember Chuck Cooperstein saying while he was still on KRLD 1080 that the Rangers fans were zombies because they kept showing up no matter how bad the team was. Of course, he was a new transplant down here and was looking to find something wrong with the area the way almost every transplant does.

A team needs a contingent of fans who will not show up unless they are good. That is what drives owners to put a winner on the field.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I sure hope we hang onto this one.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the "prospects who don't pan out at all" category:

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the "hope abounds for these prospects" category.