• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

POLL More Overrated? Kevin Garnett or Scottie Pippen

Choose all that apply.

• Kevin Garnett

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Scottie Pippen

Votes: 20 66.7%
  • Potato Salad

Votes: 8 26.7%

• Total voters

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both were great, but the answer is clearly Pippen for one obvious reason. Rings count for way too much in determining a player's legacy. They are important for sure, but championships are a team accomplishment.

Neither Pip nor MJ would have so many without help from each other, so that makes both somewhat overrated. I am not saying Jordan isn't the greatest, but people act like he walks on water. The man was human like everyone else. He just happened to completely dominate his era.

I agree with you. Pippen's a good player in his own right, but he's not in the elite conversation like KG. KG was the number one player for years and earned himself an MVP and DPOY in separate years. It wasn't his fault that Minnesota couldn't put a capable roster around him. It's telling that that franchise hadn't even sniffed the playoffs since they traded him to the Celtics in 2008.

But yes, the rings count is always taken in context. Jordan needed Pippen to win, but KG never had a chance to play with a bonafide all-star like Pippen. But if I had to say which one was overrated, I'd go with Pippen.

kobesgame

Fucking C**t Lawyer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pippen is the most overrated player in NBA history, so this isn't a fair fight.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vote and discuss.

Scottie maybe his offense was and overall yes but his defensive ability wasn't even alongside MJ.

KG is no way, shape or form overrated. One of the best PF's of all-time.

9 1st team All-defensive teams. Consistently averaged 21 and 10 over his career and he had a sweet jumper.

Pip is the answer by far though.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
. I am not saying Jordan isn't the greatest, but people act like he walks on water. The man was human like everyone else. He just happened to completely dominate his era.

Not water, just air.

Signed, Jordan Fan Girl

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
About time @HammerDown came out with another Scottie Pippen over-rated thread.

What's it been since last season?

KG is tied with Kobe at #1 for 9 years on 1st team all defense. Scottie at 8 years.

Think it almost time for a Bill Russell thread as well.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL & Scottie Pippen :L

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both are great but I have to go with KG. Pippen still took Bulls to the playoffs with out MJ.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both are great but I have to go with KG. Pippen still took Bulls to the playoffs with out MJ.

Hmm...so KG didn't take a Twolves team to the conference finals? I'm confused. They beat the Kings then lost to the Lakers in 6. Pippen got them to conference semi's and lost to the Knicks.

Still if you look at them overall as a player. KG was never overrated, Pip was definitely overrated. Both were some of the best defenders of all-time though.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmm...so KG didn't take a Twolves team to the conference finals? I'm confused. They beat the Kings then lost to the Lakers in 6. Pippen got them to conference semi's and lost to the Knicks.

Still if you look at them overall as a player. KG was never overrated, Pip was definitely overrated. Both were some of the best defenders of all-time though.
very true. Good points.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with you. Pippen's a good player in his own right, but he's not in the elite conversation like KG. KG was the number one player for years and earned himself an MVP and DPOY in separate years. It wasn't his fault that Minnesota couldn't put a capable roster around him. It's telling that that franchise hadn't even sniffed the playoffs since they traded him to the Celtics in 2008.

But yes, the rings count is always taken in context. Jordan needed Pippen to win, but KG never had a chance to play with a bonafide all-star like Pippen. But if I had to say which one was overrated, I'd go with Pippen.
that is so pathetic to- for an NBA team- where OVER HALF THE TEAMS make the playoffs- to have not made thep layoffs since 2008. That is just flat out embarrassing and pathetic. they SHOULD have as much young talent as they do- probably should have even more to be honest with how many high lotto picks that team has had. Talk about piss poor management and ownership.....maybe Thibs will finally bring some respectability and stability to the franchise.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that is so pathetic to- for an NBA team- where OVER HALF THE TEAMS make the playoffs- to have not made thep layoffs since 2008. That is just flat out embarrassing and pathetic. they SHOULD have as much young talent as they do- probably should have even more to be honest with how many high lotto picks that team has had. Talk about piss poor management and ownership.....maybe Thibs will finally bring some respectability and stability to the franchise.

I agree. I hated KG when he was in Boston during the Miami Heat big 3 era. But KG was literally loyal to a fault. Had he been placed in a competent organization, he may well have a resume that truly rivals the two guys he's going into the HOF with - Duncan and Kobe in terms of rings.

Thibs is a great coach - but I do worry about how much he'll drive Kat and Wiggins into the ground like he did with his players in Chicago. Here's hoping he learns from his mistakes.

Win TWINS!!!

Least Racist Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. I hated KG when he was in Boston during the Miami Heat big 3 era. But KG was literally loyal to a fault. Had he been placed in a competent organization, he may well have a resume that truly rivals the two guys he's going into the HOF with - Duncan and Kobe in terms of rings.

Thibs is a great coach - but I do worry about how much he'll drive Kat and Wiggins into the ground like he did with his players in Chicago. Here's hoping he learns from his mistakes.

I wouldn't say they were incompetent. They just had a series of bad luck that forced them into making bad decisions that they never recovered from.... starting with Starbury deciding he should be a star (as a tandem, who know how this would have played out). Malik Sealy's death. Then the Joe Smith fiasco and the loss of 5 1st round picks (eventually reduced to 4). Glen Taylor was a huge fanboy back then and in the hospital when they made the under-the-table deal. Not having those first rounders to continue to re-stock and build cheaply and have trade assets, lead them to make bad deal after bad deal, over paying for guys to remain competitive.

They were also hamstrung by the implementation of the salary cap, which was instituted in the wake of KGs deal.

By the time 2005 rolled around, they were just soooo un-healthy cap-wise - it took Kahn to dismantle the team. Did they miss on some draft picks? Of course - most notably the 2009 draft! But they also made moves to get a guy like Love.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't say they were incompetent. They just had a series of bad luck that forced them into making bad decisions that they never recovered from.... starting with Starbury deciding he should be a star (as a tandem, who know how this would have played out). Malik Sealy's death. Then the Joe Smith fiasco and the loss of 5 1st round picks (eventually reduced to 4). Glen Taylor was a huge fanboy back then and in the hospital when they made the under-the-table deal. Not having those first rounders to continue to re-stock and build cheaply and have trade assets, lead them to make bad deal after bad deal, over paying for guys to remain competitive.

They were also hamstrung by the implementation of the salary cap, which was instituted in the wake of KGs deal.

By the time 2005 rolled around, they were just soooo un-healthy cap-wise - it took Kahn to dismantle the team. Did they miss on some draft picks? Of course - most notably the 2009 draft! But they also made moves to get a guy like Love.

I forgot about the Joe Smith controversy. Did they really take 4 1st round picks (I'm too lazy)? And I forgot all about Malik Sealy, as he was a very talented player.

Win TWINS!!!

Least Racist Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I forgot about the Joe Smith controversy. Did they really take 4 1st round picks (I'm too lazy)? And I forgot all about Malik Sealy, as he was a very talented player.

Originally 5... reduced to 4. Stern later said that he regretted coming down so hard on them (I think around the time of his retiring when he was asked about regrets), not realizing how big of a punishment it eventually became. When it went down, though, I think he was still peeved about KG's record setting deal and the fallout from it.

Just think about it, though... cap circumvention was happening everywhere back then. Remember Juwan Howard's contract being voided?

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Originally 5... reduced to 4. Stern later said that he regretted coming down so hard on them (I think around the time of his retiring when he was asked about regrets), not realizing how big of a punishment it eventually became. When it went down, though, I think he was still peeved about KG's record setting deal and the fallout from it.

Just think about it, though... cap circumvention was happening everywhere back then. Remember Juwan Howard's contract being voided?

Yeah....it actually worked out though as Juwan Howard would've been overpaid at the time IMO. Things worked out for the Heat. Riley got the order of when to sign his owner players wrong before Juwon signed. He Juwon signed first then the Heat player (I believe it was Anthony Carter), we could've had both of them. Things work out for a reason.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah....it actually worked out though as Juwan Howard would've been overpaid at the time IMO. Things worked out for the Heat. Riley got the order of when to sign his owner players wrong before Juwon signed. He Juwon signed first then the Heat player (I believe it was Anthony Carter), we could've had both of them. Things work out for a reason.

Yeah, he never lived up to that deal.

DetroitDevil

Consoles are for ages 3 and up & broke adults.
Supporting Member Level 2
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scottie pippen would have a mcdonalds career if it werent for Jordan. The bitch had menstral migraines and cried herself to sleep, cause rodman owned her ass completely. She should be in the WNBA HOF.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

yeah, was watching that review of the series last night(TWC is good for SOMETHING). Pip was definitely overrated but that 2k Portland team was as stacked as could be because of 'Sheed, Sabonis, Grant, Jermaine O'neal and Shrempf. talk about a series that took YEARS off my life. down 15 going into the 4th i thought we were done for...