• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

More Chip Fallout Re: Marcus Smith

L.Freamon

Formerly FWFW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Former Eagles front office executive: Chip Kelly alienated scouts 'almost immediately'

"Right before that draft, the scouts set the board," the person said Tuesday. "Then Chip got a hold of it and totally turned it around. Scouts had no say at all in that draft. Anybody that Chip didn't want, that player's card got removed from the board and thrown in the trash. Those guys were never even in the discussion.

"Almost immediately, you had a lot of scouts looking around and wondering, 'Why am I even working? Why the hell are we even here?' We put all of this work in, put the information in and Chip changed everything and took whoever he wanted to take."

Whether it was Roseman who took public responsibility for Smith or Kelly who ultimately pulled the trigger on the Louisville linebacker, it is fair to say that the decision was far from unanimous in the war room that night.

"Personally, I had Smith with a third-round grade," the source said. "That was one of the shockers of the first round -- that he went as high as he did."

... Kelly's handling of the draft board led to the deterioration of the front office. A semifunctional collaboration, with Kelly and VP of player personnel Tom Gamble essentially running the show, to an organization rife with discontent.

Taz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To think that Lurie let all of this transpire is sickening to me. Lurie lack of gentiles has hurt this team. I think its time that we start beating the drum for this guy to sell the team. He has done alot of great things for this town but his ability to run a franchise has to be called into question.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least Lurie did eventually can his ass.

What's funny is that to this day Chip continues to lie and say he had nothing to do with anything.

L.Freamon

Formerly FWFW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand what you're saying and how all the Chip stuff went on under Lurie's nose is troubling. But we could do worse...much worse as far as ownership goes.

You can change coaches, but you can't change owners very often and Philadelphia just has terrible, terrible luck in all 4 sports with ownership. I'm not ready to roll the dice on somebody else just yet.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many would rather have Haslam? Snyder? Jerrah?

Lurie gives his hires chances to do their job, and if they fail, then he takes action.

Deano

Mental ninja
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lurid isn't a football guy. He hired people to do the job. They failed and he took action. I don't fault Lurie at all

Taz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lurid isn't a football guy. He hired people to do the job. They failed and he took action. I don't fault Lurie at all

You don't have to be a football guy to recognize dysfunction. I will tell you right now any CEO will tell you never give into ultimatums. Lurie did, that shows weakness. He should have called Kelly's bluff. If Kelly quit he looks stupid and never would have worked in the NFL again.

CSB

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I only fault Lurie a little for this but I certainly don't want to see him sell the team. Very good chance the next guy will be worse.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lurie lets his staff do their jobs. He is not a football person and does not pretend to be. He trust that the people he has hired can get it done. I would rather have him than a hands on owner like Jones and Snyder.....however to Snyder's credit I think he back off now.

Chip Kelly did not pan out but he came highly recommended and Andy Reid was a big part of the hiring and Lurie trusts Reid. Lurie gave Kelly full reigns for one year and he saw how bad it was and dumped him very quickly. HE also did the right think by keeping Roseman.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't have to be a football guy to recognize dysfunction. I will tell you right now any CEO will tell you never give into ultimatums. Lurie did, that shows weakness. He should have called Kelly's bluff. If Kelly quit he looks stupid and never would have worked in the NFL again.
You are making shit up. Lurie gave chip enough rope to hang himself. He couldn't just fire him right away at the drop of dysfunction. That's reactionary bullshit that breeds instability. Lurie handled it the best way he could.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You do not run an NFL franchise like you would most businesses. The CEO analogy does not really compare to what happens with NFL teams IMO. My experience shows that CEO's give in to ultimatums all the time. If a high volume customer threatens a CEO with losing business the CEO will give in. I saw this kind of crap all the time at work.

The Eagles were on the verge of doing something but there was a matter of who would be calling the shots. We go 10 -6 two years in a row but to be honest I think there was a little regression in that second year. Chip Kelly used that as a power play because he was making it seem as though he was not picking the players. He is a snake when it comes to office politics. Lurie let him call the shots and saw very fast how toxic that was and Kelly never finished the season and Lurie made a statement of power by firing him.

Screamin Eagle

Stand for the Flag, Kneel for the Cross
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All I know is that asshole Kelly is gone and Lurie made it very clear he wasn't liked nor wanted around here no more.

Reactions: Taz

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I only fault Lurie a little for this but I certainly don't want to see him sell the team. Very good chance the next guy will be worse.

Remember how bad Braman was? I do. He was the worst, and he cots us a SB win.

Taz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You do not run an NFL franchise like you would most businesses. The CEO analogy does not really compare to what happens with NFL teams IMO. My experience shows that CEO's give in to ultimatums all the time. If a high volume customer threatens a CEO with losing business the CEO will give in. I saw this kind of crap all the time at work.

The Eagles were on the verge of doing something but there was a matter of who would be calling the shots. We go 10 -6 two years in a row but to be honest I think there was a little regression in that second year. Chip Kelly used that as a power play because he was making it seem as though he was not picking the players. He is a snake when it comes to office politics. Lurie let him call the shots and saw very fast how toxic that was and Kelly never finished the season and Lurie made a statement of power by firing him.

No no no, of course you give in to a customer but you never give into an employee. Lurie showed that he is weak as an owner by allowing the bullshit to go on. We all questioned why Roseman was till here after he put Chip in charge of everything, its because Lurie himself questioned his own move. He hedged his bets and in the process let a tyrant destroy the team.

The other thing some think he is hands off as an owner. I would beg to differ. He is out on scouting missions looking at QB's right now. Aside from Jerrah what other owners do that? The head coach reports directly to the owner instead of the GM. In fact that is one of the reasons why Chippa was allowed to run free and also one of the reasons why he didn't get along with Roseman

Look I am pleasantly surprised by what they have done this offseason but there is a lot of risk still there. Who knows what Pederson is going to be as a Head Coach, Will they get a draft right? Will the talent they brought in jell as a team or will we have more Cary Williams, Byron Maxwell type players?

I miss Dawkins

Philadelphia Ducks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chip was an exciting addition that had a lot of potential. I said from the start, I worried about his ability to treat professionals different than he did college kids that would jump when told. I was worried about his ability to understand the need at this level for long term consistency instead of a full turnover every 2 years as is the case with college starters. He proved to be deficient in both. No one really saw the cancer of a team player that he was, or he would have never been hired.

To Lurie's credit, Chip gave him enough rope to hang himself after multiple 10 win seasons. And then canned him. That is not weakness. We have undone so much of what Chip did in just 1 off-season. We don't want an owner that is too intrusive. He made a bad call, and then fixed it. I'm impressed with how fast it was done.

Lurie's problem has always been a conflict between a business model of business and a championship model of sports. It was FAR FAR worse when Banner was here. I don't see this ever getting better. I think it is a handicap we will always have with Lurie as the owner. But I think we can still win, it's just a tad harder. Reid had a chance to win it all and imho Banner handicapped him which magnified Reid's inability to do it with value players. 2004 was the "ONLY" year we went in after top missing players and we not only made the SB, we "dominiated" the entire season getting there and had players healthy that had never been before. We got an unheard of 4 weeks of rest for starters. Ried (by increased passing philosophy) and Lurie (by not taking care of what got him there) screwed that success up and shut that window firmly. We went downhill from there, and Reid was allowed to have more crap seasons than Chip had seasons at all.

I'm glad banner is gone.
I'm glad reid is gone.
I'm glad we brought Chip in, but just as glad they recognized his weaknesses fast and that he is gone.
Lurie is not a bad owner - but has weaknesses.
I'm undecided about Roseman, but I like the priority and use of FA so far.

I'm excited to see what we will do in the draft.
I do NOT think we need to go quarterback and reach for one this year, but it won't surprise me if we do. I can see them mirroring the priorities Reid did in getting McNabb. I'd rather go OT or CB, but I won't be mad if they do. I do think RB or WR in the 1st would be the first sign of major mistakes and waste (jmho).

I LOVE our starting WR's and the comments about using them more on the outside.
I'm great with Matthews at RB and putting a 3rd rd and sproles with him.

I think there is a lot of reason to be excited about the upcoming season. It should be a good building year.