• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Montgomery to the NFL

Wheat

High Plains Drifter...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oklahoma football: Jerry Montgomery leaving Sooners for NFL job | News OK

well, in my humble opinion, this sucks...

NORMAN -- Jerry Montgomery's run as co-defensive coordinator at Oklahoma lasted all of five weeks.

Montgomery, who has coached Sooner defensive linemen the last two seasons, has accepted a position on an unspecified NFL staff, the school announced in a Tuesday afternoon news release.

The 35-year-old has become Oklahoma's best recruiter in his short time in Norman, helping OU land major prospects like linebacker Ricky DeBerry and defensive tackle Neville Gallimore in the 2015 recruiting class.

Montgomery replaced Jackie Shipp on the Sooners' coaching staff in February 2013 after spending the previous two seasons coaching Michigan's defensive line. Before that, he coached at Wyoming, Northern Iowa and Iowa City West High School.

Stoops promoted Montgomery to share co-defensive coordinator duties with Mike Stoops about a week after Oklahoma's embarrassing 40-6, Russell Athletic Bowl loss to Clemson.

The announcement about Montgomery comes only one day after Oklahoma announced its 2015 coaching staff, including the additions of outside receivers coach Dennis Simmons and secondary coach Kerry Cooks, and several reassignments within the coaching staff.

Now, the Sooners will be looking for a new defensive line coach with spring practices beginning in less than a month on March 7.

sooner78wakeboard

Sooner Born, Sooner Bred
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This sucks, this really, really sucks.....a big blow to recruiting.

I figured he wouldn't stick around in the long term because he is so talented. But I was hoping OU would be able to keep him for a couple more seasons.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing to worry about here. We still have Mike Stoops. What more could we ask for? And I'm sure this year's recruits are just tickled pink to hear this......especially the kids Jerry Montgomery smoozed into coming to OU.

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well fuck

occupant

Resident Inhabitant and nerve striker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
going to the Packers....

this is like getting kicked in the nuts or seeing your first girlfriend with some skinny little rich faggot with his hand down her pants after she kicked you to the curb...or something.:whistle:

Last edited by a moderator:

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is an observation on OU's football program in today's Tulsa World:

OU football.

What the?

One day OU has a new defensive co-coordinator, the next he leaves a note on the ice box saying I quit.

Does anybody know what the Stoops brothers are doing down there?

This will probably be the last time a brother gets to hire a brother.

OU wants to be like East Carolina on offense? Really?

If this program isn’t in chaos, it’s pretty good at acting like it.

occupant

Resident Inhabitant and nerve striker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
kicking_my_ass__by_rumper1-d4ziq5y.gif

sooner78wakeboard

Sooner Born, Sooner Bred
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
going to the Packers....

this is like getting kicked in the nuts or seeing your first girlfriend with some skinny little rich faggot with his hand down her pants after she kicked you to the curb...or something.:whistle:

:laugh: + :wtf:

td2play

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My question is who do we get? Most coaches are under contract at this point in the season or they aren't worth having under contract. Sounds like someone on the staff is gonna get more responsibility. Who would that be? Sounds like he took a lesser position in the NFL? Either his family was not happy in Norman or he has problems with someone on the staff (Mike Stoops). I was thinking this guy was our next defensive coordinator. Maybe he thought the same way and didn't see anything changing. Does anyone have any inside information?

Wheat

High Plains Drifter...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is an observation on OU's football program in today's Tulsa World:

OU football.

What the?

One day OU has a new defensive co-coordinator, the next he leaves a note on the ice box saying I quit.

Does anybody know what the Stoops brothers are doing down there?

This will probably be the last time a brother gets to hire a brother.

OU wants to be like East Carolina on offense? Really?

If this program isn’t in chaos, it’s pretty good at acting like it.

to be fair, it was written by Jay Cronley, ex OU baseball player, aka The Picker at the Tulsa World, who loves to troll anybody and everybody. But I'll admit, he does have a point, this time, LOL!~

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 years at place is about long enough to know if you want to stay, or if there are problems you dont want to deal with or cant change, or if it's a total clusterfuck.

I'm going with "All of the Above"
Good luck to the guy.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have some contacts inside the football program and they couldn't say what Montgomery's biggest personal reason was because he's pretty tight with everybody but he doesn't run off at the mouth. However, the coaching staff is totally aware that this coming season is a make or break season. An educated guess was he isn't convinced much of anything will change and he is a hot coach who had an opportunity to make a move to the NFL where he can continue to improve his abilities. I was told his resigning did catch everyone by surprise.....even Stoops who wasn't expecting it.

td2play

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have some contacts inside the football program and they couldn't say what Montgomery's biggest personal reason was because he's pretty tight with everybody but he doesn't run off at the mouth. However, the coaching staff is totally aware that this coming season is a make or break season. An educated guess was he isn't convinced much of anything will change and he is a hot coach who had an opportunity to make a move to the NFL where he can continue to improve his abilities. I was told his resigning did catch everyone by surprise.....even Stoops who wasn't expecting it.

GB, Thanks for the info!

I don't know about you but I do think things are gonna change next season. One way or the other things will change. We will either have an edge or the coaches will have totally lost the team. Only 6 more months until we find out!

I'm still hoping for great outcome next season. The team returning has talent.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
GB, Thanks for the info!

I don't know about you but I do think things are gonna change next season. One way or the other things will change. We will either have an edge or the coaches will have totally lost the team. Only 6 more months until we find out!

I'm still hoping for great outcome next season. The team returning has talent.

I hope you're right but we have some glaring weaknesses that hopefully can be fixed immediately and some that can't be fixed because of circumstances. Examples: Something that might get fixed is a desperate need for receivers. Joe Mixon can catch the ball which will help if they set him the slot in some formations (which I think they will or the OC should be shot on the 50 yard line at halftime). Michiah Quick will hopefully help too if he keeps improving. But something we can't fix is depth. We are weak as a kitten in our second strings thanks to some poor recruiting. The teams like Alabama, Oregon and Ohio State don't fall off much when they have injuries. Oklahoma? We'll go from Tarzan to Jane in a heartbeat if starters get hurt and can't play. Our record will be better this year but I am skeptical the overall team will improve enough to win the conference. And last, it normally takes time for new coaches to get their feet on the ground. Or...............maybe lightening will strike like it did in 2000? We better say our prayers for that to happen.

td2play

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope you're right but we have some glaring weaknesses that hopefully can be fixed immediately and some that can't be fixed because of circumstances. Examples: Something that might get fixed is a desperate need for receivers. Joe Mixon can catch the ball which will help if they set him the slot in some formations (which I think they will or the OC should be shot on the 50 yard line at halftime). Michiah Quick will hopefully help too if he keeps improving. But something we can't fix is depth. We are weak as a kitten in our second strings thanks to some poor recruiting. The teams like Alabama, Oregon and Ohio State don't fall off much when they have injuries. Oklahoma? We'll go from Tarzan to Jane in a heartbeat if starters get hurt and can't play. Our record will be better this year but I am skeptical the overall team will improve enough to win the conference. And last, it normally takes time for new coaches to get their feet on the ground. Or...............maybe lightening will strike like it did in 2000? We better say our prayers for that to happen.

Who on our schedule really scares you?

Akron - Should be a good tune up.

Tennessee - Beat them pretty handily last season which I think helps the mindset of the returning starters. If we lose this one expect a long season that ends with Stoops resignation.

Tulsa - W

WVU - Since they come to Norman and its early season I think we should be okay. They have a new QB and we proved we could run on them last season. Samajie breaks loose again? !

Texas - Strong has them improving but do they have anyone that can play QB? I still like our chances in this one.

KSU - This is the first game I would have us as a road dog. Snyder will have his team ready to play especially if we come in undefeated.

Texas Tech - Can they stop the run this season? Unless they got a lot bigger in recruiting I don't think so.

Kansas - Improving but not enough to take care of OU. Should run all day on this team.

ISU - W

Baylor - Going to Waco hasn't been kind since RGIII. They break in a new QB but the system they run is the same. Can the defense ever stop these guys. If the Sooners come into this game undefeated expect them to leave that way. If they already have a loss this could be a repeat of last season.

TCU - The best team in the conference in my opinion. They return virtually everyone on both sides of the ball. Beating OU last season is what gave TCU the belief that they could beat anyone. If not for a Trevor Knight pick 6 the Sooners would have won this game and I contend the season would have turned out a lot different. Got to give TCU the edge in this one but if OU is playing up to their ability they can beat this team. They proved that last season.

OSU - Shouldn't have lost last season. What was Stoops thinking putting to the faster guy in the NCAA? Going to Boone Pickens always makes it interesting but I think the Sooners have the edge if they are still in competiton for the conference title at this point in the season.

Okay so now that I look at it there are 5 teams with what I consider realistic chances of beating OU on their schedule. Now that doesn't mean we won't lose to Kansas because I think this teams mental make up is fragile. When they win they believe they can beat anyone. When they lose they seem to pack it in. We won't have to wait long to see what kind of team we will have. Going to Tennessee week 2 is going to be a challenge. Get past that and the sky is the limit.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can easily see OU at 3-2 after losing to Tennessee and Texas. The Vols are going to be good this year and I'm going to that game because I've never seen a game in Knoxville. Texas? They whipped our ass severely last year in everything except the score. I'd bet on the Horns. KSU has our number. Snyder in Manhattan will be a very hard game to win. I don't like our chances there especially if we just lost to Texas. That puts us at 3-3. By the time we get beat by Baylor we'll be sitting at 6-4. I think we can beat TCU and Jr. to end up 8-4 this year. A lucky break could get us to 9-3. We just have too many holes to fill this year to bet on this team winning the conference which will require losing no more than 1 game in-conference to win it outright. I hope we are 12-0. But if I hope in one hand and shit in the other one I know which one will fill up first.

td2play

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess my optimism comes from Josh being gone. I thought he held us back big time the past several seasons. Think of this, as bad as the team was last season we should have beaten both KSU and TCU. Pick sixes from Knight in both games were big momentum swings and how about Hunnicut missing a damed extra point and FG. The only thing that really bothers me is the offensive line losses but a lot of the back ups have experience but quality depth may be an issue. Also Jordan Phillips leaving for the NFL was a big blow to the D line. Luckily we have build a lot of quality depth there. Striker and Tapper both coming off the edges and Shannon back at LB with Alexander having another year to get bigger and stronger. The ony question I have is can we stop anyone's passing game. We can't be any worse against the pass can we?

Take a look at the speculation on the depth chart. https://thefootballbrainiacs.com/ou-oklahoma-sooners-football-2015-depth-chart

Have to think Jordan Thomas at 6-1 is an upgrade at corner and maybe we can get out safeties to actually cover someone too!

td2play

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can easily see OU at 3-2 after losing to Tennessee and Texas. The Vols are going to be good this year and I'm going to that game because I've never seen a game in Knoxville. Texas? They whipped our ass severely last year in everything except the score. I'd bet on the Horns. KSU has our number. Snyder in Manhattan will be a very hard game to win. I don't like our chances there especially if we just lost to Texas. That puts us at 3-3. By the time we get beat by Baylor we'll be sitting at 6-4. I think we can beat TCU and Jr. to end up 8-4 this year. A lucky break could get us to 9-3. We just have too many holes to fill this year to bet on this team winning the conference which will require losing no more than 1 game in-conference to win it outright. I hope we are 12-0. But if I hope in one hand and shit in the other one I know which one will fill up first.

If this happens and we are at 3-3 through 6 games the whole thing gets blown up. I still think we are better talent wise than Tennessee. Now they may out coach us but talent wise we are still better. Texas still has no QB and we played as bad as I have seen us and still beat them. Our defensive front should handle the Horns o-line but can we stop anyone's passing game? I would give us a better chance at beating Baylor than TCU. TCU is bringing back virtually the same team from last season.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Until I see the defense play I withhold any predictions about this coming. The D has been atrocious for too long, I want to see shutouts, teams held to less than 200 yards total offense, and so on. I want to see a defense like it's 1985...