• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Montero or Wilson Ramos?

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I laughed!

Not sure why this was so one sided for Ramos a month ago? Now, not so much so for this past 30 days...LOL

They are essentially the same player for 5x5 fantasy purposes.....take Ramos' 1000 ab's and multiply his by 3 to equal Montero's 3000 and they look pretty much the same across the board. No idea why some view Ramos as clearly the better play, unless they were the same guys that given Montero's advanced age of four years the elder were touting Montero as the guy with great upside at the catching position to reach "elite" status four years ago...then you factor in will the guy actually play or not the guy that "we hope can stay healthy" gets the nod?

Ramos was 4th in the majors in fly ball distance last year and hit 16 HRs in half the season.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I recommended Ramos because of his upside, which Montero lacks. He may not get it going this year since those hand injuries tend to sap power, but if you are choosing between those two I still think Ramos has more upside and will get it going at some point.

Driaz

People are crazy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ramos was 4th in the majors in fly ball distance last year and hit 16 HRs in half the season.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I recommended Ramos because of his upside, which Montero lacks. He may not get it going this year since those hand injuries tend to sap power, but if you are choosing between those two I still think Ramos has more upside and will get it going at some point.

That's true and fair, but I was looking also at his minor league numbers and nothing I see would lead me to expect last seasons half numbers to be the "true" Wilson Ramos. I believe that was more of an outlier than what to expect. I really think they are very much the same player, which isn't bad by any means. They are both solid catcher options that have some pop in the middle of their lineups and have respectable rate numbers to go with that. I'll cede that Ramos "may" have more power potential, but like I say, just haven't seen enough through his entire professional career to be a hands down edge over Montero.

I think the original question should have been followed up with his placing in the standings at the time. If you are towards the top, I would have likely went with Montero as his production is fairly known and stable. If I was towards the bottom of the standings, maybe roll the dice on the younger, more injury prone Ramos and hope last season was indicative of growing power potential and not just an outlier season.

I just think the two are very similar fantasy players that most of the responses seemed to think Ramos as the clearly superior choice based on one half season.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's true and fair, but I was looking also at his minor league numbers and nothing I see would lead me to expect last seasons half numbers to be the "true" Wilson Ramos. I believe that was more of an outlier than what to expect. I really think they are very much the same player, which isn't bad by any means. They are both solid catcher options that have some pop in the middle of their lineups and have respectable rate numbers to go with that. I'll cede that Ramos "may" have more power potential, but like I say, just haven't seen enough through his entire professional career to be a hands down edge over Montero.

I think the original question should have been followed up with his placing in the standings at the time. If you are towards the top, I would have likely went with Montero as his production is fairly known and stable. If I was towards the bottom of the standings, maybe roll the dice on the younger, more injury prone Ramos and hope last season was indicative of growing power potential and not just an outlier season.

I just think the two are very similar fantasy players that most of the responses seemed to think Ramos as the clearly superior choice based on one half season.

You might be right. Time will tell on Ramos. I know I am frustrated with him in the league where I own him, but I have no plans to drop him.

da55bums

Royals -when they do win its a WS RING.
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
everyone was hyping Montero after his 2009 season as the next big catcher, Ramos is only 26 and Montero is 30 now, Ramos has more upside but Montero is more of a you know what you will get type. Ramos seems to be following Napoli's shoes or Ortiz, might be better as a DH/1b to avoid injury.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why are we talking about the future? The thread was about who you should have on your team right now. This is fantasy baseball, you're not building a franchise for the future, youre building a team for right now. Right now Montero is clearly the better choice and I laugh at all of you who disagreed with me when this thread was started.

Brees#1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I added Montero last night and unless Molina turns it around in a big way this week I plan to start Montero over him.

Brees#1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All four power hitters on a team cannot just get hot at the same time. Thats not how baseball works and it also is a disrespect to a pitcher's ability. I think Ramos may be getting on base for Rendon and Desmond to bat him in. If Desmond was still in a funk like he was before May and Rendon was still in his slump before the end of last month then Ramos may have picked up that slack and put up better numbers. Another possibility is he may be the current scapegoat for opposing pitchers while Desmond and Rendon are tearing it up.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And now Ramos is on the DL AGAIN FML

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Montero was still available but I went with Gattis instead

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congrats Miggy on being named an NL All Star.

Philabuster5

Visionary (aka dreamer)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also congrats on the .241/.301/.446 slash line over the past 3 weeks

(I won't mention Ramos line... but it's somewhere in the vicinity of .366/.409/.537)

Was a nice run...but the real Montero has predictably returned.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also congrats on the .241/.301/.446 slash line over the past 3 weeks

(I won't mention Ramos line... but it's somewhere in the vicinity of .366/.409/.537)

Was a nice run...but the real Montero has predictably returned.

Lmao three weeks? How long have you been watching baseball kiddo?

Philabuster5

Visionary (aka dreamer)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lmao three weeks? How long have you been watching baseball kiddo?

Pretty sure that's a better indicator than an all-star appearance kiddo :laugh3:

Seriously....he had a very good first half...congrats, I wasn't expecting it.
I won't be expecting it in the second half either.