• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mock draft thread?

Pencil Sharpener

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1st: DL.....crap shoot, too many names, too many needs...pick one.......if none, Clinton-Dix
2nd: LB Christian Jones, we need an OLB no matter what
3rd: DL/QB/OL/CB.....thats right my mock is based off of reality that we will draft not from need but from Jerrys wants. Jerry will not want to rebuild, so Jerry needs a future QB. Enter Murray, Thomas, Mettenberg types who need years to learn........or heal.
4th: S/CB........Roby...Ohio State. Some say the best athlete at the position, but still learning the position.
5th-7th: BPA, not impressed with DL or OL prospects outside of round two/three and we could have zero returning defensive starters and Jerry still wouldnt draft defense all rounds

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regardless of what you guys think we should do, in reality I think it is clear that at least one time (and maybe a couple of times) in the first few rounds we will go BPA and this could unfortunately be any position. It is very dangerous to zero in on a position and draft a marginal player because he fits a need over a guy that could be a 10 year starter even if at a position where the need is less. So, my hope is that the pick also corresponds with a need. We all know the needs, so I'm not sure getting into them again matters. If we come out of the draft with a starting safety and one starting DL I'll be happy to wait on all the other picks to develop. I see a lot of people suggesting that we draft like 3 DL. Don't forget that even though we likely lose Spencer and Hatcher we do have Crawford and Bass coming back from injury. So, we obviously need DL help, but when you throw in Ware and the rotational guys like Selvie and Hayden and a couple of the guys that we picked up last year, it is very unlikely we draft 3.

I see Crawford as a DE in this defense. If he is and you have Ware, Crawford and Selvie do you need to go DE early? Or does the team see him as the 3 tech? Ideally we could find a 3 tech in the first round IMO (and keep Crawford at DE) and then a later pick or a veteran FA to round out the DL. I don't think depth is going to be an issue after all the guys we rotated through last year. I think we found a couple that we like to fill out the roster. What we need is at least one starter. Of course I'd love to find two DL starters, but if it means no change at safety I'll settle for one.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regardless of what you guys think we should do, in reality I think it is clear that at least one time (and maybe a couple of times) in the first few rounds we will go BPA and this could unfortunately be any position. It is very dangerous to zero in on a position and draft a marginal player because he fits a need over a guy that could be a 10 year starter even if at a position where the need is less. So, my hope is that the pick also corresponds with a need. We all know the needs, so I'm not sure getting into them again matters. If we come out of the draft with a starting safety and one starting DL I'll be happy to wait on all the other picks to develop. I see a lot of people suggesting that we draft like 3 DL. Don't forget that even though we likely lose Spencer and Hatcher we do have Crawford and Bass coming back from injury. So, we obviously need DL help, but when you throw in Ware and the rotational guys like Selvie and Hayden and a couple of the guys that we picked up last year, it is very unlikely we draft 3.

I see Crawford as a DE in this defense. If he is and you have Ware, Crawford and Selvie do you need to go DE early? Or does the team see him as the 3 tech? Ideally we could find a 3 tech in the first round IMO (and keep Crawford at DE) and then a later pick or a veteran FA to round out the DL. I don't think depth is going to be an issue after all the guys we rotated through last year. I think we found a couple that we like to fill out the roster. What we need is at least one starter. Of course I'd love to find two DL starters, but if it means no change at safety I'll settle for one.

I like the chances that one of the safeties will fall to us in the first. Clinton-Dix or Calvin Pryor should be there when we pick, and very likely will be among the best players available at our draft slot.

In general, I agree with BPA strategy. But this year it's safety or bust in the first round IMO. And we need to get a pass rusher in round 2. After that, I don't much care.

Jerry, give us a playmaker at Safety, I can't take another season of setting dubious records

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the chances that one of the safeties will fall to us in the first. Clinton-Dix or Calvin Pryor should be there when we pick, and very likely will be among the best players available at our draft slot.

In general, I agree with BPA strategy. But this year it's safety or bust in the first round IMO. And we need to get a pass rusher in round 2. After that, I don't much care.

Jerry, give us a playmaker at Safety, I can't take another season of setting dubious records

1000% agree about safety
It is NOT dangerous to zero in on a position at 16/17

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jerrahs MO is not to take BPA. He would rather trade down and gain extra picks which normally blows up in his face. See 2009 draft. If Dix or pryor are the real deal then I think it would be wise to take one. We are looking at least 4 qbs being taken so we possibly could get a top 10 talent at 16 or 17. I am not sold on either dix or pryor as being a future pro bowl type talent. Dix looks stiff to me and Pryor reminds me of Roy Williams.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is actually very dangerous to zero in on a position at 16 or 17. We did that with david Lafluer

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree S is the #1 need but if we reach even a little and there is a top 10 to 15 DT sitting there we made a mistake. There should be absolutely no need to reach when we have too many needs.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree S is the #1 need but if we reach even a little and there is a top 10 to 15 DT sitting there we made a mistake. There should be absolutely no need to reach when we have too many needs.

When is the proverbial "kicking the can down the road" going to stop? It's been too long since Dallas has made a real effort to put talent in the back end of the secondary. It has to stop this year. For those in favor of passing over a safety, yet again, have you been watching the Dallas defense the last few years? The pass rush needs improvement, yes, but the secondary has been the bigger problem, and it's been that way for years. If Dallas wants to make the 2012 off-season worthwhile, Jerry will get a real Free Safety to put behind Carr and Claiborne. And not only that, it will put Church into a more natural position at Strong Safety. It makes too much sense...which is probably why it won't happen.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I would Mock Telvin Smith in the 3rd round. He could really help Lee in coverage. He is more the size of a safety but it would be wise to get him as he is good in coverage. I think he could keep up with the running backs and fast tight ends the NFL is transitioning to. Then Carter could focus on his strength which is at the line of scrimmage

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When is the proverbial "kicking the can down the road" going to stop? It's been too long since Dallas has made a real effort to put talent in the back end of the secondary. It has to stop this year. For those in favor of passing over a safety, yet again, have you been watching the Dallas defense the last few years? The pass rush needs improvement, yes, but the secondary has been the bigger problem, and it's been that way for years. If Dallas wants to make the 2012 off-season worthwhile, Jerry will get a real Free Safety to put behind Carr and Claiborne. And not only that, it will put Church into a more natural position at Strong Safety. It makes too much sense...which is probably why it won't happen.

:agree:

center and safety has been talked about on message boards for a very long time. I am all for Wilcox and growth but no way I put all my faith in that....not with the lack of player development this staff has shown over the recent years. Two NEW contributors required among the six required dbackfield roles in today's NFL

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I would Mock Telvin Smith in the 3rd round. He could really help Lee in coverage. He is more the size of a safety but it would be wise to get him as he is good in coverage. I think he could keep up with the running backs and fast tight ends the NFL is transitioning to. Then Carter could focus on his strength which is at the line of scrimmage

all over the lot remains you

scattershooting and wondering what ever happened to spygodz.
talk about as the wind blows.

It's a long ways to May

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:agree:

center and safety has been talked about on message boards for a very long time. I am all for Wilcox and growth but no way I put all my faith in that....not with the lack of player development this staff has shown over the recent years. Two NEW contributors required among the six required dbackfield roles in today's NFL

You know, the Seahawks seem to get it. And look how much their secondary helps that pass rush. I wouldn't say that Seattle has a great D-line by any stretch, but they have a great secondary which helps every other facet of that defense immensely.

We don't have an Earl Thomas, and that is what this defense is missing. Thomas is far more valuable to that secondary than Richard Sherman.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Here is the point. I can guarantee you that no one on these boards has called as loud as safety as me for as long as me. I wasn't fooled by RW and Hamlin or the rest of them. as a matter of fact I remember many arguments here about Hamlin being good in coverage because he had some picks, when in reality he was NEVER any good in coverage. My point is you don't take a safety just to take a safety. There must be a player there worth taking. If the scouts or coaches believe the pick is fair value, then you abosutely do it. But what if one of the two is gone and we don't like the second? Do we pick him any way? That would be stupid. Now, at some point we need to realize that it could be our evaluations of these safeties that needs to change. How can we not like all of the top safeties every single year? Reid was a perfect example last year. Why didn't we just take him? So, I for one want safety with our first pick, but it has to be a player worth taking. Dix is my guy. Not sure about Pryor, but since he is a pure FS...it does sound good to me also...

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe but I've screamed for safety and center as long as I've been posting on sites like this.

Neither Dix nor Pryor would be a reach at 16/17. You will see that in the coming months...mater of fact, I could live with Lamarcus Joyner in the second round with DT taken in round one

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are probably others (like yourself) that have screamed for safety for as long as I have, so let's change it to no one has screamed for a safety for longer than me...

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought I just conceded that you and others may have wanted a safety for as long as me

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe but I've screamed for safety and center as long as I've been posting on sites like this.

Neither Dix nor Pryor would be a reach at 16/17. You will see that in the coming months...mater of fact, I could live with Lamarcus Joyner in the second round with DT taken in round one

No no no. We must take a safety in the first no matter how many are off the board.