• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

MLB trade deadline 2012

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perhaps a big misplay on Demptser by the Dodgers.

May their arrogance come back to bite them in the proverbial ass

and Lily, Harang, Billingsly, and Capuano remember what type of pitchers they really are.

I also like to think the League move was a semi-block of the Giants

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CF-Blanco/Pagan
2B-Theriot
LF-Cabrera
C-Posey
3B-Sandoval
RF-Pence
1B-Belt
SS-Crawford/Scutaro

Vs.

LF-Victorino
2B-Ellis
CF-Kemp
RF-Ethier
3B-Ramirez
1B-Loney/Rivera
SS-Cruz/Hariston
C-Ellis

Which would you take?

ColinCoby

"Duff Man…Oh Yeah!"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jim Bowden: The Giants’ No. 1 priority was to acquire a right fielder and No. 5 hitter without giving up Brandon Belt or prospects Gary Brown, Heath Hembree or Joe Panik. General manager Brian Sabean accomplished this in his trade for Pence. Unlike last year, when Sabean traded for half-season rental Carlos Beltran, they'll control Pence through 2013, which also gives them protection for next year if they can't re-sign Melky Cabrera.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chances Nate puts up better numbers for the Phils over the the next 1.5 years than Pence does for the Giants over the same time period?

Nate will be playing in a band box while Pence will be playing in Yellowstone National.

In his first two games in the Phils org, Joseph is 4-7 with a 2B, a run and an RBI.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Chances Nate puts up better numbers for the Phils over the the next 1.5 years than Pence does for the Giants over the same time period?

Nate will be playing in a band box while Pence will be playing in Yellowstone National.

In his first two games in the Phils org, Joseph is 4-7 with a 2B, a run and an RBI.

A bit of a Bayesian answer here: given that Nate sticks with the Phillies:
  • Straight up stats? 75%
  • Park adjusted stats? 51%
  • Chance that Charlie Manual changes Nate's flat balanced swing, into a backfoot loaded upper cut? 35%
    • And given that, chance Nate turns into Jayson Werth 10%

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
  • Straight up stats? 75%
  • Chance that Charlie Manual changes Nate's flat balanced swing, into a backfoot loaded upper cut? 35%

I believe that if you adjust for park, Pence will CERTAINLY have better numbers.

My point was just straight up stats, and I think there is a decent chance that Nate will "perform better" than Hunter...

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe that if you adjust for park, Pence will CERTAINLY have better numbers.

My point was just straight up stats, and I think there is a decent chance that Nate will "perform better" than Hunter...

:lm: <---- Then, these guys will have a field day, but nothing makes them happy, anyway.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:lm: <---- Then, these guys will have a field day, but nothing makes them happy, anyway.

This was also, kinda, my point.

WE all know that park affect between Philly and SF is MASSIVE. The PFCDs, however...

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
  • Straight up stats? 75%

Whoa...

I just noticed...

You believe that there is a better than average chance that Nate will put up better numbers AFTER park adjustment?

That, sir, is a bold statement...

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another Pence-related question...

At last years deadline, do we do a Joseph/Wheeler/Nate/Rosin for Pence trade? Does Houston accept that offer?

Just some food for thought...

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Whoa...

I just noticed...

You believe that there is a better than average chance that Nate will put up better numbers AFTER park adjustment?

That, sir, is a bold statement...

Definitely going way out on a limb with that one. I've never been a fan of Nate's setup or swing, but his eye hand coordination and innate power are impressive. I really think Charlie Manual has a chance to remake Nate into a much better hitter. Although, at 28, Nate is running out of time.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
This was also, kinda, my point.

WE all know that park affect between Philly and SF is MASSIVE. The PFCDs, however...

Yeah...didn't consider that angle. That's something to look forward to. :tsk:

TheSaboteur

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dodgers awarded waiver claim on Cliff Lee. I assume they are doing this to block other teams, like what the Giants did with Heath Bell last year?

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dodgers awarded waiver claim on Cliff Lee. I assume they are doing this to block other teams, like what the Giants did with Heath Bell last year?

They actually need another front of the rotation starter. I don't think they have the prospects to make a deal happen, but I also don't think that this is purely a blocking move. If they do get him, wow.

jingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Don't know if this was already posted:

PHILADELPHIA -- Joe Blanton earned a World Series ring the last time he was traded. He's hoping for an encore.

The right-hander was sent from the Philadelphia Phillies to the Dodgers on Friday after Los Angeles claimed him on waivers.

A source confirmed to ESPNLosAngeles.com's Ramona Shelburne that the Phillies will receive a minor-league player to be named later for Blanton.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
They actually need another front of the rotation starter. I don't think they have the prospects to make a deal happen, but I also don't think that this is purely a blocking move. If they do get him, wow.

I don't know the details of what it might take, but a national writer being interviewed on KNBR thought it could happen. Cited Phillies needing to reduce salary going forward as an important factor on their end.

mistgl

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

the Phillies can just dump the entire contract on them now.

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't know if this was already posted:

PHILADELPHIA -- Joe Blanton earned a World Series ring the last time he was traded. He's hoping for an encore.

The right-hander was sent from the Philadelphia Phillies to the Dodgers on Friday after Los Angeles claimed him on waivers.

A source confirmed to ESPNLosAngeles.com's Ramona Shelburne that the Phillies will receive a minor-league player to be named later for Blanton.

For some reason, I thought Blanton went to the O's. He's underrated..it's a good move by the dogs

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the Phillies can just dump the entire contract on them now.

Yup. The Phillies got the first two "cheap" years of the contract, and the Dodgers could have to pay the 3 at $25M *AND* the 12.5M option buyout. Even if the Phillies don't get much back, there's a certain benefit to cutting their salary by that much over 3-4 years. But I don't follow the team that much, so I don't know how well or poorly stocked they are with young starting pitching.