• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mitch McGary declares for the NBA

phantomfoul88

"Send Lawyers, Guns, and Money"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If there's something positive you could say of the NCAA in this whole thing (that's not something I generally find myself doing)...

at least they had the integrity to stick to the rules? I mean, by sticking to the rules, they essentially forced a very good basketball player out of college basketball. One of the few very good ones that chose to stick around. It would've been easy for them to sweep it under the rug and keep a good player and a storied team more relevant.

dcZONAfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FUCK. Our game against Michigan next year just went from potential top 10 matchup to a likely beat-down in the span of like 2 weeks.

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
pisser.

it's not his leaving for the NBA that bothers me...it's the tragi-comic circumstances - the draconian bullshit laws, the forced abstinence promises and contracts between student-athletes and schools (both of whom would drop pot as an issue faster than stink-on-shit) mandated by an out-of-touch NCAA.

good luck McGoofy.

:suds:

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NCAA doesn't have rules about marijuana, nor do they require member institutions to have policies regarding marijuana, however if said institution does have a policy regarding it, they do require said member to adhere to those policies.

So it isn't the NCAA that's forcing McGary out. It's Michigan.

I hate the NCAA's stupid enforcement as much as the next guy, but you can't peg this on them (this time)

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/06/s...tes-syracuse-over-failed-drug-tests.html?_r=0

NDHoosier101

Reigning "Last to post" Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,338.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NCAA doesn't have rules about marijuana, nor do they require member institutions to have policies regarding marijuana, however if said institution does have a policy regarding it, they do require said member to adhere to those policies.

I hate the NCAA's stupid enforcement as much as the next guy, but you can't peg this on them (this time)

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/06/s...tes-syracuse-over-failed-drug-tests.html?_r=0

Glad you clarified. I was confused because I know a lot of football players have failed marijuana tests and they didn't certainly weren't suspended for full seasons.

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With their approval of Proposal No. 30 at the January 1986 NCAA Convention and Proposal Nos. 52-54 at the January 1990 Convention, NCAA institutions reaffirmed their dedication to the ideal of fair and equitable intercollegiate competition and at their championships and postseason bowl games. At the same time, they took another step in the protection of the health and safety of the student-athletes competing therein. So that no one participant might have an artificially induced advantage, so that no one participant might be pressured to use chemical substances in order to remain competitive, and to safeguard the health and safety of participants, this NCAA drug-testing program was created.

The program involves urine collection and laboratory analyses for substances on a list of banned-drug classes developed by the NCAA Executive Committee. This list consists of substances generally purported to be performance enhancing and/or potentially harmful to the health and safety of the student-athlete. Notably:

• Student-athletes are held responsible for use of all banned substance at all times.
• The NCAA year-round testing program may test for anabolic agents, diuretics and masking agents, peptide hormones, beta-2 agonists and beta blockers. Stimulants and street drugs are generally not tested in NCAA year-round testing.
• The NCAA championship testing program may test for all banned drug classes, and include tests for street drugs and stimulants.
• Other testing occasions, such as exit test and attempted manipulation may include testing for all banned drug classes.

They still allow the members to dictate testing and enforcement policy. McGary isn't the only guy to test positive this season. AFAIK he's the only one that was facing a 1 year suspension.

Life After Louisville: Chane Behanan Making the Most of His Second Chance | Bleacher Report

(Yes, I know it's a BR link. No it isn't a goddamned slideshow.)

You'll note that Bahannan was caught multiple times and suspended for one month for a violation of university policy. (before eventually being dismissed)

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dumb rule but whatever.. His fault.. Team will be mediocre next year..

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McGoofy failed his championship test - administered by the NCAA...

not one of the University's regular tests...didn't he?

The program involves urine collection and laboratory analyses for substances on a list of banned-drug classes developed by the NCAA Executive Committee. This list consists of substances generally purported to be performance enhancing and/or potentially harmful to the health and safety of the student-athlete. Notably:

• Student-athletes are held responsible for use of all banned substance at all times.
• The NCAA year-round testing program may test for anabolic agents, diuretics and masking agents, peptide hormones, beta-2 agonists and beta blockers. Stimulants and street drugs are generally not tested in NCAA year-round testing.
• The NCAA championship testing program may test for all banned drug classes, and include tests for street drugs and stimulants.
• Other testing occasions, such as exit test and attempted manipulation may include testing for all banned drug classes.

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see said the blind man...

Okay, I get it now... Universities get to set their policies for testing as well as punishment during the regular season, but the NCAA gets to do their douchebaggery during the tournament.

It kinda makes sense in a retarded NCAA sort of way.

Thanks for the clarifications.

As you were, with the torches and pitchforks.

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
too dark a design for me to figger...

Okay, I get it now.

the only thing I get is that there seems to be the same bogus-ass reality disconnect between the almighty NCAA vs its member institutions (when it comes to marijuana as a Schedule 1 drug) - and the almighty DOJ vs individual state legislatures.

still and all...
McGoofy signed the mandatory abstinence promises...
broke em...
and now has to pay the price.

sucks.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kid smokes weed and it's the end of the world, kid gets shit-faced off vodka and he's just being young.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FUCK. Our game against Michigan next year just went from potential top 10 matchup to a likely beat-down in the span of like 2 weeks.

Michigan still has plenty of talent. Don't worry about that.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You are 100% wrong about that. This was an NCAA test. Mitch said that he smoked between the Big Ten tournament and the NCAA tournament. Mitch said that Michigan has tested him 5 times over the last 2 years (passed them all) but the NCAA was doing random tests at the tournament and his number got called. Michigan's policy is 10 percent of games which for basketball is a 3 game suspension and the NCAA's policy is 1 year currently. On August 1st it becomes a half year. Now maybe if this was a Michigan test the NCAA would have forced them to suspend him for 3 games to enforce their policy but you're dead wrong that this was a Michigan test and Michigan is to blame. Michigan apealed the ruling, trying to get him the half year that is about to go into affect and the NCAA wouldn't budge.

It's a shame that a kid can get busted driving drunk and serve a 1 game suspension (or none in some cases) but a kid smokes some weed, hurting no one including arguably himself, and is forced to sit out a year. That's just sick. This reefer madness mentality in this country has to end. Marijuana prohibition has to end. What it boils down to is this is Mitch's mistake, had he not smoked he wouldn't have been suspended, but these rules are ridiculous.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They still allow the members to dictate testing and enforcement policy. McGary isn't the only guy to test positive this season. AFAIK he's the only one that was facing a 1 year suspension.

Life After Louisville: Chane Behanan Making the Most of His Second Chance | Bleacher Report

(Yes, I know it's a BR link. No it isn't a goddamned slideshow.)

You'll note that Bahannan was caught multiple times and suspended for one month for a violation of university policy. (before eventually being dismissed)

The NCAA SAYS that they busted 73 (I think that was the number) players across all divisions over the past calendar year. Of course they have privacy rights and my bet is that most of these guys were said to have injuries. Mitch could have buried this too but he chose to own it.

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are 100% wrong about that.

Well, no. I was right about a lot of things. The only thing I was wrong about was that it was an NCAA test not a school test. But if you bothered to read the rest of the thread before responding you would have noticed that all of that had already been covered.

But thanks for repeating what's already been said.

BTW, are you high?

MI Nightmare

Slow Roller
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,317.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Embarrassing and disappointing. I don't feel like the punishment fits the crime but the kids know the consequences.

Wishing MM a healthy and productive career at the next level.

MI Nightmare

Slow Roller
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,317.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Both of us will be enduring some growing pains. Losing MM really hurts us down low, especially, because of our inexperience at the 4-5. Horford, though truly a soft non-threat, did provide a big body with experience, has also departed. We now have to rely almost completely on our wing players (point play should be very sound) and hope the 4-5s develop into their positions quickly. We do have some young bigs and stretch 4s that are very skilled, but that contest so early in the season definitely favors Zona.

Michigan right now, imo, is still a top 20-25 team but has a lot of development at the 4-5 needed to get things rolling.