• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Minnesota

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Neither of which are as cold as Minneapolis. It's probably the coldest major college town in the country.

the weather in winter is BRUTAL.

Company I worked for, many years, was headquartered there, so I spent a lot of time in the city.

It's an okay place, but in the winter, it just is brutally cold. If not for the heated walkways downtown, I'd have frozen and died on a street corner.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The best thing about Minnesota is knowing someone with a summer cabin up there.

Oh...And the blondes.

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I bet I have seen snow the least of anyone else on this board. :(

Oney

Hoopla Cash
$ 757.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure where this is coming from, I want to ask have you only watched cfb for 10 years?

Minnesota, under coach Mason, was a very, very good team. They just haven't had much luck with coaches since then. I think Kill is like the 5th coach in about 15 years. I have to say I am impressed with where Kill has gotten them, hope he gets better and stays with them. I think he can get them straight.

Doctor Krieger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure where this is coming from, I want to ask have you only watched cfb for 10 years?

Minnesota, under coach Mason, was a very, very good team. They just haven't had much luck with coaches since then. I think Kill is like the 5th coach in about 15 years. I have to say I am impressed with where Kill has gotten them, hope he gets better and stays with them. I think he can get them straight.

I wouldn't say very, very good. They were competitive every year, yes.

Droopdog51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no they get a pass because they have something called yearly population, there not some research station or mountaintop restaurant

I've been to Mt. Evans recently. The restaurant burned down decades ago. There is nothing up their but some shiiters.

Droopdog51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the weather in winter is BRUTAL.

Company I worked for, many years, was headquartered there, so I spent a lot of time in the city.

It's an okay place, but in the winter, it just is brutally cold. If not for the heated walkways downtown, I'd have frozen and died on a street corner.

FUCK!!!!!!!!

I just got up to St. Paul for work. Where were you to talk me out of taking this job 2 weeks ago.

WABLTY

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FUCK!!!!!!!!

I just got up to St. Paul for work. Where were you to talk me out of taking this job 2 weeks ago.

If you're downtown, just use the skyway. It's all interconnected for the most part.

And since I'm assuming people from Texas transferring to the corporate mothership in St. Paul means you all work for 3M or one of the big med component companies, the campuses are generally pretty well laid out.

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shitty program, didn't have an on campus stadium until a couple years ago, other teams in the B1G (not least Wisconsin) take most of their in-state recruits, etc.

Ask and they'll tell you all about their national championships 50+ years ago, though.

Sketchy championships at best, too.

Droopdog51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you're downtown, just use the skyway. It's all interconnected for the most part.

And since I'm assuming people from Texas transferring to the corporate mothership in St. Paul means you all work for 3M or one of the big med component companies, the campuses are generally pretty well laid out.

Actually at the Flint Hills refinery. Mostly inside work but still have to spend some time in the field.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FUCK!!!!!!!!

Sorry.

Seriously, it's a nice area. I spent a lot of time there, and actually met my wife there (she was not from Minnesota, but California) so I was up there for work, and on weekends I'd fly up there on Friday and come back Sundays.

For me, the climate is just too cold. I don't care about the snow. It's the cold. But I spent most of my time downtown and used the heated skyways/walkways.

I'd rather it be hot than cold, so that's just a personal thing. You might like it fine.

tech_iceman

#winning
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Graham Harrell ripped the soul out of the program in 2006

BigAppleBadger

On Wisconsin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Minneapolis is "nice" in the summer. By nice I mean it's very clean, but it's also sterile. There's just really not much interesting about that place.

But people there are quite provincial, so to hear them describe it Minneapolis is one of the world's great cities. Of course, most have never been to the coasts let alone out of the country, and their only experience in Chicago involved Navy Pier, Mag Mile shopping and a trip to the Cheesecake Factory. But that's what they like I guess... their most famous tourist attraction is a shopping mall.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Minneapolis is "nice" in the summer. By nice I mean it's very clean, but it's also sterile. There's just really not much interesting about that place.

But people there are quite provincial, so to hear them describe it Minneapolis is one of the world's great cities. Of course, most have never been to the coasts let alone out of the country, and their only experience in Chicago involved Navy Pier, Mag Mile shopping and a trip to the Cheesecake Factory. But that's what they like I guess... their most famous tourist attraction is a shopping mall.

FWIW, I really like Minneapolis. It's clean, walkable, neighborhood-based, cultured, safe, and beautiful geographically. It's probably my fifth favorite American city (behind Chicago, Madison, New York, and DC). And if the highlight of a trip to MSP is the Mall of America, you are doing it wrong (much like making Navy Pier the highlight of any trip to Chicago).

BigAppleBadger

On Wisconsin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FWIW, I really like Minneapolis. It's clean, walkable, neighborhood-based, cultured, safe, and beautiful geographically. It's probably my fifth favorite American city (behind Chicago, Madison, New York, and DC). And if the highlight of a trip to MSP is the Mall of America, you are doing it wrong (much like making Navy Pier the highlight of any trip to Chicago).

It's also no San Francisco, Boston, Seattle, etc.

The people just rub me the wrong way.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's also no San Francisco, Boston, Seattle, etc.

The people just rub me the wrong way.

I definitely prefer it to Boston. Seattle's a toss-up. I give MSP the edge now because it is cleaner and doesn't have a homeless problem. I haven't spent enough time in San Fran to make a clear-cut judgement, but based on my limited time there, I prefer MSP.

Either way, I don't think one can attribute MSP's problems to their market. University of Minnesota almost always is near the top of the lists of schools that love their location (along with Wisconsin, NYU, Fordham, Georgetown, etc.). MSP is one of their better selling points. The weaknesses are mostly institutional and deal with the culture of the school or the city's sports fans, not the city itself.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's funny. I swear, I worked with some people who mentioned the Navy Pier and Cheesecake factory all the time. And often at sales conferences, one of the nights out would be a trip to the Mall of America...

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WTH? Goldy's In Contention again...

Minnesota is 4-2, 8-2 as of today's win over Penn State.
Kids are riding a 4-win success train. good on them.
Would make the Legends race really interesting if they're poor hosts to Bucky on 23NOV.

:gaah: