• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Minnesota

WABLTY

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As bad as they have been, for as long as they've been, they're still virtually tied with Wisconsin in terms of all-time win percentage, somewhere around the top 40 among all D-1-A/FBS teams. For a while they must have been way ahead of the Badgers, until Barry.

It's a state full of the 6'5" progeny of Vikings and Germans. They just don't give a shit about football besides NFL

john01992

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was about to call BS but...

5 Worst Winter Weather Cities | Farmers' Almanac

LOL 1 and 2 (mas o menos)...but syracuse has much better location being in New York...not the middle of nowhere. New York, NY is just a car ride away, then Boston, Philly, DC are all just right there. Basically the set of Die Hard 4. Wisconsin is where Bartlby and Loki are banished to in the movie Dogma, this is your road trip option in Minnesota.

...and in Minnesota it is Milwakee.

LOL.

its two different kinds of terrible, you guys get the cold, we get the snow, which is mas o menos, but you also have to factor in our terrible overcast. 320 days of overcast a year.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
syracuse has by far worse weather than minny & they have had a decent program up until the 90s.

Based on what? snowfall? are you familiar with what causes lake effect snow? Or the concept that it can get "too cold to snow".

john01992

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Based on what? snowfall? are you familiar with what causes lake effect snow? Or the concept that it can get "too cold to snow".

upstate new york gets more snow than anywhere else. last year syracuse got more snow than juneau (the capitol of alaska)

not only do we get shitloads of snow but we gets overcast conditions 320 days of the year.

and asking someone from upstate new york if they know what causes lake effect snow is like asking someone from texas if they know what football is. lake effect snowfall is why we get dumped on each year

the concept of too cold to snow is a myth. there is some scientific backing that the colder it gets the harder it is to produce moisture in the air, however its never to the point where its "too cold to snow."

ive delt with snow more often than anyone on this board and not once have i or anyone in my hometown ever had to use the phrase "its too cold to snow today"

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reading about the five worst winter cities. The cold snap of 1996. I remember it well.

I was training for my first marathon. Guess how many other people were out in that weather? None. The air temp was -32 and the wind chill was -80. The next day was even colder.

I was dressed in all my ski gear putting in my 20 miles. Sort of running, more like shuffling. Not one other soul was out. A beautiful, sunny day, but fricking cold as hell.

I have also skiied in -65 wind chill at Breckenridge, Colorado I did that for 8 hours. My friend, my brother, and I. We had both Peaks 8 and 9 all to ourselves. It was only brutally cold when the lifts broke down and we had to wait for them to start up again.

So running in -80 was no different, that was only four hours. And I was constantly moving so no sitting around letting the wind just pound me because the lift was broken.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
upstate new york gets more snow than anywhere else. last year syracuse got more snow than juneau (the capitol of alaska) Duh...Juneau is on the Pacific coast, also one of the reasons it's avg temp is about the same as Syracuse despite being so much further north.

not only do we get shitloads of snow but we gets overcast conditions 320 days of the year.

and asking someone from upstate new york if they know what causes lake effect snow is like asking someone from texas if they know what football is. lake effect snowfall is why we get dumped on each yearThen you ought to know that coastal areas prone to it also tend to have milder climates

the concept of too cold to snow is a myth. there is some scientific backing that the colder it gets the harder it is to produce moisture in the air, however its never to the point where its "too cold to snow." Duh...it's not a literal expression, otherwise Antarctica would be covered in rock, instead of 6,500 feet of ice. Every notice how it it tends to get colder when there are high cyrrus clouds...ever seen it snow from high cyrrus clouds...these maxims generally have a basis in fact...high cyrrus clouds...lower temperatures...no snow...get it? Hence the expression "too cold to snow" Don't really care if you or your friends were too stupid to notice this natural phenomena and comment on it.

ive delt with snow more often than anyone on this board and not once have i or anyone in my hometown ever had to use the phrase "its too cold to snow today" ...the fact that you get the snowfall you do is partly due to the milder climate you enjoy based on your proximity to the lake...as to your assertion that you've dealt with more snow than anyone on this board, I say fuck you you arrogant prick...There are plenty of places that make Syracuse look like Miami...ever been to Jackson Hole, WY, They can get Syracuse's avg annual snowfall in a month...459" last 5 years. Hell, most of the towns in the Rockies get 150" or more in a year. My hometown gets similar snowfall to Syracuse with the added benefit of being 10 degree colder. Shoveling snow all goddamn Winter as a kid is one of the reason I live in the South.

Tried to have a civil conversation with you, but again, just more of your know it all douchebaggery. So again, please kindly go fuck yourself you arrogant know it all douchebag.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Historically, Wisconsin has been just as relevant as Iowa has. I would say they haven't been much more relevant than Iowa during BCS. It's just been the past few years and late 90s when Wisconsin has been relevant and Iowa has not been.

And to the topic...

I would say no quality coach wants to go there. I'm going to compare Iowa with Minnesota because Iowa is not a whole lot relevant. Iowa wasn't relevant before Kirk Ferentz but Hayden Fry had an amazing coaching tree that coaches knew they could fall back on. Minnesota does not have that coaching tree. They haven't had a coach that could recruit/develop good enough. Iowa sucks at recruiting but one thing KF has done well is make nobody's into NFL talent (Dallas Clark is best example).

IMO, that really is the only reason. They haven't been able to get the right coach. Jerry Kill is getting a good start, but maybe the next one will take them to the next step. Maybe Kill has a coaching tree that 20-30 years from now will be amazed at how it is, like Hayden Fry's.

Doctor Krieger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Historically, Wisconsin has been just as relevant as Iowa has. I would say they haven't been much more relevant than Iowa during BCS. It's just been the past few years and late 90s when Wisconsin has been relevant and Iowa has not been.

And to the topic...

I would say no quality coach wants to go there. I'm going to compare Iowa with Minnesota because Iowa is not a whole lot relevant. Iowa wasn't relevant before Kirk Ferentz but Hayden Fry had an amazing coaching tree that coaches knew they could fall back on. Minnesota does not have that coaching tree. They haven't had a coach that could recruit/develop good enough. Iowa sucks at recruiting but one thing KF has done well is make nobody's into NFL talent (Dallas Clark is best example).

IMO, that really is the only reason. They haven't been able to get the right coach. Jerry Kill is getting a good start, but maybe the next one will take them to the next step. Maybe Kill has a coaching tree that 20-30 years from now will be amazed at how it is, like Hayden Fry's.

UW- 5 B1G Titles....Iowa- 2
UW-2 BCS Wins....Iowa- 1
UW-2 RB wins....Iowa-0
UW-5 BCS appearances...Iowa-2
UW-5 RB appearances...Iowa-0

The only thing ya have going for you is UW's 7-6 head-to-head advantage since 1998.

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
upstate new york gets more snow than anywhere else. last year syracuse got more snow than juneau (the capitol of alaska)

"

There are many places in America that get more snow than upstate New York:

Snowiest Places in United States - Current Results

Upstate NY snow gets more press coverage because it's a much more populated area compared with the other more out-of-the-way snowier places in the U.S. If you look at data lists of snowiest cities (generally these lists include only communities over 50,000 or 100,000 population), then yes, you'll find Syracuse at the top of most of these city lists.

The very low population Keweenaw Peninsula section of Michigan's Upper Peninsula gets more snow than upstate NY, but even the high snow amount of the Keweenaw does not compare with the higher snow amounts of the ten places on the list in the above link.

As for overcast Winters...IMO that's a good thing, because sunny days in the Winter are a killer on the eyes due to the reflection off the snow. I appreciate the overcast Winter days here in SE Michigan, although we really don't get a lot of snow in the Detroit area as compared with the western & northern parts of Michigan (lots of lake effect snow in those areas).

But...back to the snowiest places list...damn, the mountainous regions of Washington, Oregon, and Utah have crazy high numbers!

Here is a paste of the top ten from the link I provided above:

Average annual snowfall for places that receive over 300 inches of snow a year
Location Inches Centimeters
Mt Rainier, Paradise Station, Washington 671 1704
Alta, Utah 546 1387
Crater Lake Park Headquarters, Oregon 483 1226
Brighton, Utah 411 1044
Echo Summit, California 407 1035
Wolf Creek Ski Area, Colorado 392 996
Caples Lake, California 375 953
Brian Head, Utah 368 936
Valdez, Alaska 326 829
Mt Evans Field Station, Colorado 301 764

Last edited by a moderator:

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

UW- 5 B1G Titles....Iowa- 2
UW-2 BCS Wins....Iowa- 1
UW-2 RB wins....Iowa-0
UW-5 BCS appearances...Iowa-2
UW-5 RB appearances...Iowa-0

The only thing ya have going for you is UW's 7-6 head-to-head advantage since 1998.

I said late 90s and past few years...

5 Rose Bowl appearances and Conference Titles - 1998, 1999, 2010, 2011, 2012 (Like I said, UW was relevant those years and Iowa was not)

Top 10 finishes during BCS Era (going with the highest rank they received)

Wisconsin - 1998 (#5), 99 (#4), 06 (#5), 10 (#7), 11 (#10),
Iowa - 2002 (#8), 03 (#8), 04 (#8), 09 (#7)

And in 2002, Iowa didn't go to the Rose Bowl because the Orange Bowl selected Iowa before the Rose Bowl had a bid.

Before 3 seasons ago, Iowa looked more impressive during BCS. I did say Wisconsin has done better during BCS too.

john01992

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are many places in America that get more snow than upstate New York:

Snowiest Places in United States - Current Results

Upstate NY snow gets more press coverage because it's a much more populated area compared with the other more out-of-the-way snowier places in the U.S. If you look at data lists of snowiest cities (generally these lists include only communities over 50,000 or 100,000 population), then yes, you'll find Syracuse at the top of most of these city lists.

The very low population Keweenaw Peninsula section of Michigan's Upper Peninsula gets more snow than upstate NY, but even the high snow amount of the Keweenaw does not compare with the higher snow amounts of the ten places on the list in the above link.

As for overcast Winters...IMO that's a good thing, because sunny days in the Winter are a killer on the eyes due to the reflection off the snow. I appreciate the overcast Winter days here in SE Michigan, although we really don't get a lot of snow in the Detroit area as compared with the western & northern parts of Michigan (lots of lake effect snow in those areas).

But...back to the snowiest places list...damn, the mountainous regions of Washington, Oregon, and Utah have crazy high numbers!

Here is a paste of the top ten from the link I provided above:

Average annual snowfall for places that receive over 300 inches of snow a year
Location Inches Centimeters
Mt Rainier, Paradise Station, Washington 671 1704
Alta, Utah 546 1387
Crater Lake Park Headquarters, Oregon 483 1226
Brighton, Utah 411 1044
Echo Summit, California 407 1035
Wolf Creek Ski Area, Colorado 392 996
Caples Lake, California 375 953
Brian Head, Utah 368 936
Valdez, Alaska 326 829
Mt Evans Field Station, Colorado 301 764

those are mostly small ski town resorts dude. two of them are research stations. sorry but theres no way those count. in terms of an actual city with an actual economy and has its population stay the same year round.....and a place thats not in the middle of bumfuck nowhere.....syracuse wins

this snowfall debate started over comparing syracuse to minn. sorry but please remind me which FBS team plays in valdez alaska???????? not trying to be a dick but i just dont see the relevance of bringing up these rural mountain locations

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
those are mostly small ski town resorts dude. two of them are research stations. sorry but theres no way those count. in terms of an actual city with an actual economy and has its population stay the same year round.....and a place thats not in the middle of bumfuck nowhere.....syracuse wins

this snowfall debate started over comparing syracuse to minn. sorry but please remind me which FBS team plays in valdez alaska???????? not trying to be a dick but i just dont see the relevance of bringing up these rural mountain locations

So, Syracuse gets a pass because collectively there is a bunch of people too stupid to move somewhere nicer or when winter comes....Gotcha.

Doctor Krieger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said late 90s and past few years...

5 Rose Bowl appearances and Conference Titles - 1998, 1999, 2010, 2011, 2012 (Like I said, UW was relevant those years and Iowa was not)

Top 10 finishes during BCS Era (going with the highest rank they received)

Wisconsin - 1998 (#5), 99 (#4), 06 (#5), 10 (#7), 11 (#10),
Iowa - 2002 (#8), 03 (#8), 04 (#8), 09 (#7)

And in 2002, Iowa didn't go to the Rose Bowl because the Orange Bowl selected Iowa before the Rose Bowl had a bid.

Before 3 seasons ago, Iowa looked more impressive during BCS. I did say Wisconsin has done better during BCS too.

You said we haven't been more relevant than Iowa during the bcs. That is untrue.

john01992

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, Syracuse gets a pass because collectively there is a bunch of people too stupid to move somewhere nicer or when winter comes....Gotcha.

no they get a pass because they have something called yearly population, there not some research station or mountaintop restaurant

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You said we haven't been more relevant than Iowa during the bcs. That is untrue.

Look again. I said Wisconsin hasnt been much more relevant during BCS. I said historically they are just as relevant.

packfancjh

Hoopla Cash
$ 403.15
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
\
3. MSP is a basketball market, not a football market.

MN is a hockey market plain and simple. Gopher mens and womens hockey are one of the best if not the best in the country every year.
Having to play in the big inflatable toilet know as the metrodome hasn't helped football recruiting at all neither has the winter weather around campus. No one wants to go outside when it's 35 below out. That's why I got the hell out of there as soon as I could. As far as the state goes MN is a great place but the weather and the bugs turn a lot of people off when it comes to going there.