• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mike Pettine: Russell Wilson is not a top tier QB

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I said right after their SB win, and has come true, SEA hasn't been able to and won't be able to keep that defense together. Others will overpay and the defense won't take pay cuts to go elsewhere. It's stupid for them, I'll give you that. But they want to get paid and I can't blame them. So SEA has to rely on drafting to replace them. They aren't drafting poorly, but they don't have the dominant defense that won the SB.

The Seahawks have had the No. 1 scoring defense in the league for 4 straight years. While this year's team may not be as good as the 2013, it's still pretty good.

The truth of the matter is that the Seahawks haven't really lost any core defensive players.

The Seahawks are now much like the Packers or Steelers or Patriots. To continue to play well they will need to draft well and make smart personnel changes. So far, Schneider has shown he is capable of doing that.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I said right after their SB win, and has come true, SEA hasn't been able to and won't be able to keep that defense together. Others will overpay and the defense won't take pay cuts to go elsewhere. It's stupid for them, I'll give you that. But they want to get paid and I can't blame them. So SEA has to rely on drafting to replace them. They aren't drafting poorly, but they don't have the dominant defense that won the SB.

So your definition of keeping the D together is retaining every last member?

Do you think Walter Thurmond, Byron Maxwell, Bruce Irvin, Malcolm Smith, Brandon Mebane, and Chris Clemons are the reason the '12-'13 defenses were so good? I mean it couldn't possibly be guys like Cliff Avril, Michael Bennett, Richard Sherman, Earl Thomas, Kam Chancellor, and Bobby Wagner who make up the core of the defense over the last 5 years, all of whom have not left for other teams.

Bottom line is this defense is very much the same one that dominated in 2013 but you can't expect every year's D to be a legitimate all time great unit, even with largely the same players.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And in the years going forward, Dallas won't be able to keep that stud O-line together. Welcome to the salary cap world.

Half a decade, that's how long that D has stuck together, and been at or near the top of the NFL statistical rankings. Will that last forever? Of course not. Nobody has said that it will.

In fact, Seattle WILL spend more of a % on their offence, and logically less % on D going forward, because they have another 10-12 years of Wilson being their QB. So sure, that D isn't going to be what it was in '13 forever.

I think you're jumping the gun a bit early on saying that they don't have a chance to keep that #1 spot again this year though.

Perhaps I'm putting too much emphasis on the word 'closed.'

Others may want to stretch that sucker out, I dunno.

DunceKaep

Trolling 45, it's EASY.
Hoopla Cash
$ 663.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great talk.

3-1, I'll take it.
Seattle has not played above average yet, and still 3-1 ( haven't played Above average teams either)

Bring on the post bye week Atlanta Falcons........Seattle will OWN them.

Prediction on Oct 5th.
Denver exposes Atl, and Seattle continues it in week 6.
Prediction, Week 6, Seattle +6.5 (Changes on the Denver Outcome).

Seattle, in a ROMP versus Atl.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
GB's "window" has been open for over 20 years with Favre & Rodgers.

NE's "window" has been open for 15 years with Brady.

Pitt's "window" has been open for 12 years with BR.

NO's "window" was open with Brees in his prime.

CAR's "window" has been open as Cam stepped up to be an MVP type player.

The pattern isn't too tough to figure out. Franchises with stud QBs are contenders over a long period of time. Russell Wilson is 27, a stud QB, and Seattle's "window" is going to be open during his prime years.

And so far through 4 games, Seattle's D is statistically right there with the '13 D. Biggest shortfall in that comparison right now is turnovers forced. That '13 team had 39, and so far this year's team only has 4 I believe. That pace will probably pick up, but hitting 39 is not likely at this point.

From the '13 defense, these are the starters the team still has: Bennett, Avril, Wagner, Wright, Sherman, Thomas, Chancellor. Probably the 7 best players from that unit. Gone are Mebane, Bryant, Maxwell, and Irvin. Mebane was the oldest starter on D and was cut this year; the others left as free agents and so far haven't come close to the level of play elsewhere as they had in Seattle (to be fair, only 4 games so far for Irvin in Oakland but their D sucks). This year's team absolutely may be just as good as the '13 crew when it's all said and done. Bigger challenges ahead in the Falcons, Packers, Patriots, etc. so we'll see.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The team has had arguably the best D 4 years straight. Share your wisdom comparing this year's results so far to 2013 D results after 4 weeks to prove your point.