• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mike Leach To Mississippi State

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would be a hell of a hire tbh. Miss St has six 4 stars in the 2020 class. I don't think Leach got that ever in Pullman or Lubbock. The amount of athletes in MS, AL, FL or GA is unreal.

And the athletes Leach recruited were strictly California, Texas and Florida so what is the point? He has had assistants who recruits 2nd tier Texas kids and had a solid assistant who recruited the hell out of American Samoa which led to his two great seasons/semi 3 as a HC.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have to hate Washington State to leave it for Miss State. He had at least a shot playing in the PAC but my holy crap jumping into the SEC West is a losing proposition.

Don't get me wrong I love Leach and excited he is coming to the SEC but I gotta think Baylor made a huge error not jumping on him first.

Mullen is the only coach to have survived Starkville and he did that by the skin of his teeth and got lucky so many jobs were open Florida had to take a look.

He'll likely get results similar to what he got with WSU.

Mostly, it'll be 7-9 win seasons usually with 1 or 2 wins over teams they shouldn't beat and at least 1 or 2 losses where they "Coug'd it" (Dawg'd It?).

I don't know what MSU has talent wise, so it may take a season or 2 for him to get players that fit his system. But once he has them. MSU will be a headache for a lot of DC's and they'll be fun to watch.

And as others have pointed out...his pressers will be must see tv.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fingers crossed for a Miss St Vs Texas Tech Texas bowl next year
Both are going to have to improve for it to happen. But it would be definitely be must see entertainment.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think I've ever been more excited for SEC west football

So many entertaining coaches going against each other

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmm, when have the Patriots won the Super Bowl when they went pass heavy? The one year their offense went pass happy they choked the Super Bowl away to the crappy Giants.
Ask Pete Carroll and get back to me

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Name 1 NFL team that runs the Air Raid? The closest is Arizona and even they don’t run the Air Raid. The Air Raid was an offense that evolved which Leach hasn’t. Bill Walsh created the West Coast offense but it has evolved throughout history.

every single offense has incorporated air raid hence why I said air raid is PART of every offense, not the ENTIRE offense..

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
every single offense has incorporated air raid hence why I said air raid is PART of every offense, not the ENTIRE offense..

No, what you are really saying is teams pass more. The Air Raid is a simple philosophy to have inferior talent overcome more talented teams. The Air Raid is a simple offense that has a few routes and 1 or 2 running plays. You are essentially equating since Bill Walsh passed more than every other team during his then Mike Leach is a Bill Walsh disciple.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, what you are really saying is teams pass more. The Air Raid is a simple philosophy to have inferior talent overcome more talented teams. The Air Raid is a simple offense that has a few routes and 1 or 2 running plays. You are essentially equating since Bill Walsh passed more than every other team during his then Mike Leach is a Bill Walsh disciple.

not at all. 4 vertical is staple of air raid and in every play book, just like levels was for WC offense and is in every playbook. Spread sets are there. If you are going to say Leach is a disciple of any coach the origin would be LaVell Edwards. Whose influence on modern offense is hard to over estimate.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not at all. 4 vertical is staple of air raid and in every play book, just like levels was for WC offense and is in every playbook. Spread sets are there. If you are going to say Leach is a disciple of any coach the origin would be LaVell Edwards. Whose influence on modern offense is hard to over estimate.

Leach’s 4 verticals again is another myth. His offense is simple as hell. 2 guys run verticals, two guys run drags. The only other play in the playbook it either a tunnel or bubble screen. It is a simple offense to defend, you just need a defense and DC who sticks to his game plan. It succeeds because a corner, safety or OLB tries playing hero ball.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Maybe this is a Texas Tech Air Raid, when did Mike Leach ever run 4 verticals? He ran 2 verticals and 2 either digs or drags. When has any of his disciples ever run 4 verticals? He gets credit innovating football which is semi fair but there isn’t a successful program anywhere that is a real air raid. At least the true West Coast offense was copied and won Super Bowls. The only Air Raid offense that has ever won anything was the 2000 Oklahoma squad who’s defense won the title, not the offense.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe this is a Texas Tech Air Raid, when did Mike Leach ever run 4 verticals? He ran 2 verticals and 2 either digs or drags. When has any of his disciples ever run 4 verticals? He gets credit innovating football which is semi fair but there isn’t a successful program anywhere that is a real air raid. At least the true West Coast offense was copied and won Super Bowls. The only Air Raid offense that has ever won anything was the 2000 Oklahoma squad who’s defense won the title, not the offense.

ran it all the time at Tech.. I am not sure you have even watched his offense, based on your comments. Clemson went Air Raid vs Bama last year to bury Bama. It’s how you win with a mediocre OL.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love you MichaelJordan. You are the MichaelJordan of passive aggressive face palms, I guessing because that is the only response your intellect can muster up. Keep on being you

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mississippi produces athletes that you could never get in Pullman. I heard he is hiring Strong as DC, which seems like a smart move. Strong can recruit and probably relate a bit better than the Pirate down south

Charlie is joining him? That could work. Strong was waaaaay over his head as HC at Texas but being able to focus on the D at a place like Mississippi State and recruit his own kind of players could be exactly what they need. Add some decent D to what Leach will undoubtedly do for the O and people might have to stop making jokes about Miss State. This is going to be fun to watch.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Mostly, it'll be 7-9 win seasons usually with 1 or 2 wins over teams they shouldn't beat and at least 1 or 2 losses where they "Coug'd it" (Dawg'd It?).

I don't know what MSU has talent wise, so it may take a season or 2 for him to get players that fit his system. But once he has them. MSU will be a headache for a lot of DC's and they'll be fun to watch.

All reports are they are nowhere near the level of the 2012 Cougars that he destroyed their Air Raid offense since he benched, cut or forced to quit with his 3 NFL players he had on the offense.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I’m still waiting on what the hell you are talking about, about the myth of 4 verticals. The only staple of the Air Raid is the O line splits. I cannot speak for Texas Tech but not once in a game against a P5 team did he run 4 verticals except a Hail Mary. It was always 2 verticals and a 5 and 10 yard crossing route, which is why every single team that played sound zone beat it. Let alone why none of his disciples have ran his exact offense. The West Coast offense has stayed true to its philosophy/original concept, the Air Raid hasn’t with any successful coach. But Mike Leach can be more successful in Mississippi since his offense can work which it couldn’t in early September or late November in Pullman.

Neilcar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would suggest Florida has air raid offense. They are like almost last in the Nation in running the ball.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the athletes Leach recruited were strictly California, Texas and Florida so what is the point? He has had assistants who recruits 2nd tier Texas kids and had a solid assistant who recruited the hell out of American Samoa which led to his two great seasons/semi 3 as a HC.

More to choose from in the south, that's just a fact. It's why Alabama, Clemson, Georgia have high classes EVERY single year. Easier to find 4 stars down here then picking and choosing leftovers in those states.

Mississippi St while not being a a very prestigious school still will get better recruits than Wazzu every single year bc of this fact but when you add in a a great developer of lower talent and coach like Leach...it makes him that much more dangerous. SEC is a tougher conference though so the goal is the same. 8-9 wins and you will keep a job forever, win 10-11 games and you are legend at Miss St.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah of course, the goal is the same as it was at Wazzu essentially. Win 7-8 games every year and you are safe, 10-11 and you are a legend and will get praised forever.

Recruiting will take a jump and Leach already knows it...it's one of the main reasons he took the job.

2020 recruiting classes so far (this was with Miss St have Moorehead and lousy coach)

Miss St 27th - FIVE 4 stars, THIRTEEN 3 stars
Texas Tech 46th - ONE 4 star, EIGHTEEN 3 stars
Wazzu 61st - ZERO 4 stars, EIGHTEEN 3 stars

It's like night and day. But like you said the goal is the same as at Tech or Wazzu though.