• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Michigan football $25 mini-camp in Alabama

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why? That's genius. If we have to deal with MSU in our backyard, then the rest of the B10 has to deal with us potentially coming to theirs.

Urban does not need the farce of the "we were invited to the camp" to recruit other states. I see why Harbs is doing it but this is really a small time move. Michigan should not need this to recruit.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Urban does not need the farce of the "we were invited to the camp" to recruit other states. I see why Harbs is doing it but this is really a small time move. Michigan should not need this to recruit.

I'm not sure Harbaugh "needs" to do this either. But I do think it will pay off huge in the long run, no matter what you think of the tactics in the short term. It will not only help us steal kids from around the nation from home town schools but it will also give our coaches a better look at the talent pool nationally when evaluating talent. I like the move and really costs us nothing to do. I'm not sure why more coaches don't do things like this.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure Harbaugh "needs" to do this either. But I do think it will pay off huge in the long run, no matter what you think of the tactics in the short term. It will not only help us steal kids from around the nation from home town schools but it will also give our coaches a better look at the talent pool nationally when evaluating talent. I like the move and really costs us nothing to do. I'm not sure why more coaches don't do things like this.

Because it is skirting the rules. While it is not violating the letter of the law it is violating the spirit of the law. SEC coaches used to do this now they are not allowed, well unless they want to skirt the rules like Harbs.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because it is skirting the rules. While it is not violating the letter of the law it is violating the spirit of the law. SEC coaches used to do this now they are not allowed, well unless they want to skirt the rules like Harbs.
Harbaugh wants to pretend like he is Belichik and cheat using loop holes. Look for under inflated football's in Ann Arbor. They still won't win.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This stuff is nothing new.

But as far as Michigan coming into Alabama and taking recruits, they'll basically get whatever Alabama and Auburn doesn't take. I wouldn't say it's impossible for Michigan to take a higher recruit, but it's gotta be extremely unlikely. Should have gone to Texas.

As long as he stays out of Ohio.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How is it violating the spirit of the rule? He's holding football camps around the country. Most are no where near B10 country, only 1 is. This is either allowed or it isn't. It would seem that it's currently allowed.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How is it violating the spirit of the rule? He's holding football camps around the country. Most are no where near B10 country, only 1 is. This is either allowed or it isn't. It would seem that it's currently allowed.
Really it's like over signing of grey shirting. Is it against the rules, no, but it is shady as hell.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really it's like over signing of grey shirting. Is it against the rules, no, but it is shady as hell.
I just don't get how it's shady. No one's getting hurt. We're not screwing kids out of scholarships. We're just hosting an event in another state where kids who play football come to learn how to play football for a week. I seriously don't understand how it's any different than MSU and Mich holding camps in the same state? If teams are scared of teams holding camps in their state, then they aren't secure in their own recruiting abilities. I can honestly say I wouldn't give a crap if Penn State hosted a camp in Michigan.

I'm not even sure what rule this is supposedly breaking -- or -- going around?

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't get how it's shady. No one's getting hurt. We're not screwing kids out of scholarships. We're just hosting an event in another state where kids who play football come to learn how to play football for a week. I seriously don't understand how it's any different than MSU and Mich holding camps in the same state? If teams are scared of teams holding camps in their state, then they aren't secure in their own recruiting abilities. I can honestly say I wouldn't give a crap if Penn State hosted a camp in Michigan.

I'm not even sure what rule this is supposedly breaking -- or -- going around?

The rule is you can host camps but since Harbs and his staff have been "invited" it is not violating the rule. The rule was intended to keep coaches from having camps in others area. Harbs is doing that by skirting the rules and not honoring the spirit of that rule.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The rule is you can host camps but since Harbs and his staff have been "invited" it is not violating the rule. The rule was intended to keep coaches from having camps in others area. Harbs is doing that by skirting the rules and not honoring the spirit of that rule.
Sssshhhhh he won't understand. Just like every coach and player in Michigan history, they have never done anything against the rules or wrong in his mind.

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's about relationship building which Harbaugh NEEDS to do because he spent the previous 4 years in the NFL. Creating pipelines to other states is a no brainer. It's particularly important to build PERSONAL RELATIONSHIP bridges to Texas, Florida, California, and Georgia... heck, even a blind person can surely see this. I applaud Harbaugh for recognizing that building relationships is a top priority.

But again, I still question the classiness of doing it in another B1G state like Pennsylvania... that does not seem to be a cool thing to do. Imagine Urban Meyer being a guest coach at a football camp at Detroit Cass Tech High School or even at Ann Arbor Pioneer High School!.... the Wolverines fan base would be crying foul!

GenJac

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since Michigan runs a clean program, they don't have the luxury of paying guys up to $200k a year like the SEC does. Gus Malzahn has a lot more to worry about if the NCAA ever makes it legal for all players to accept benefits from boosters. Most of all, I want to see players be able to take endorsements.

If one of the big apparel companies was paying a big time player $2 million a year, it would make the booster money seem inconsequential. That would really level the playing field.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Harbaugh isn't hosting a camp. I don't see the problem here. He will be one of many coaches at the camp. The intent of the rule was to make sure one school wasn't entirely represented at such a camp. If Urban would like to join Harbaugh at the camps, I'm sure he would be more than welcome.

I still don't see the big deal here. As already mentioned, I'd love for someone to explain to me how this is any different than Michigan and Michigan State hosting camps in the same state? Even if the rule were changed to ban this, I still think it's a dumb rule. Coaches shouldn't be limited by what state they hold camps in and how they find their football talent. As I mentioned in a previous post, this is nothing like the SEC and grey shirts because this is not hurting any recruits. This might hurt Penn State's ego and their school might feel like their "turf" is being messed with -- but who gives a shit? This hurts no one.

In addition, I don't think SEC schools and their coaches have any room to talk; given they'll let anyone with a pulse into their schools, practice grey shirting tactics on kids that aren't good enough and over-sign like crazy (something the B10 limits more strictly than the SEC). So it's somewhat ironic that a school who signed 32 kids in 2010 is going to talk about Michigan being shady by being invited to coach at a camp in their backyard. Oh, and paying Cam Newton $200,000 to play there. That's all fine, but how DARE Harbaugh coach some HS kids in a camp for a week. Doesn't he know that Auburn will have to fork out more money now to convince kids to go there?

Last edited:

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sssshhhhh he won't understand. Just like every coach and player in Michigan history, they have never done anything against the rules or wrong in his mind.
I'm not saying that. Clearly that's not the case. I just don't see anything wrong with this. If Urban or Dantonio did the exact same thing I wouldn't complain at all. As mentioned, I don't see how this is any different than Dantonio and Harbaugh hosting camps in the same state. We seem to do OK with that without any fist fights going down. Hell, our coaches regularly attend HS coaching clinics together. I'd argue it's a very useful way of evaluating talent while also giving HS kids some guidance from some of the game's best coaches. It harms no one but the ego of a few school administrators.

I also think the rule in question, not being able to "host" a camp, is stupid -- for the reasons above. That's a perfectly clean way of evaluating talent and it's an unnecessary limit on coaches; especially when you have schools actually doing really bad things like paying players and cutting kid's scholarships at the last moment.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's about relationship building which Harbaugh NEEDS to do because he spent the previous 4 years in the NFL. Creating pipelines to other states is a no brainer. It's particularly important to build PERSONAL RELATIONSHIP bridges to Texas, Florida, California, and Georgia... heck, even a blind person can surely see this. I applaud Harbaugh for recognizing that building relationships is a top priority.

But again, I still question the classiness of doing it in another B1G state like Pennsylvania... that does not seem to be a cool thing to do. Imagine Urban Meyer being a guest coach at a football camp at Detroit Cass Tech High School or even at Ann Arbor Pioneer High School!.... the Wolverines fan base would be crying foul!

I agree with everything you are saying. That was my point, Harbs is doing it and it is "smart" according to most Michigan fans but if Meyer was doing the exact same thing you would hear about how much of a cheater he is and how slimy he is for doing the camps.

Harbaugh isn't hosting a camp. I don't see the problem here. He will be one of many coaches at the camp. The intent of the rule was to make sure one school wasn't entirely represented at such a camp. If Urban would like to join Harbaugh at the camps, I'm sure he would be more than welcome.

I still don't see the big deal here. As already mentioned, I'd love for someone to explain to me how this is any different than Michigan and Michigan State hosting camps in the same state? Even if the rule were changed to ban this, I still think it's a dumb rule. Coaches shouldn't be limited by what state they hold camps in and how they find their football talent. As I mentioned in a previous post, this is nothing like the SEC and grey shirts because this is not hurting any recruits. This might hurt Penn State's ego and their school might feel like their "turf" is being messed with -- but who gives a shit? This hurts no one.

In addition, I don't think SEC schools and their coaches have any room to talk; given they'll let anyone with a pulse into their schools, practice grey shirting tactics on kids that aren't good enough and over-sign like crazy (something the B10 limits more strictly than the SEC). So it's somewhat ironic that a school who signed 32 kids in 2010 is going to talk about Michigan being shady by being invited to coach at a camp in their backyard. Oh, and paying Cam Newton $200,000 to play there. That's all fine, but how DARE Harbaugh coach some HS kids in a camp for a week. Doesn't he know that Auburn will have to fork out more money now to convince kids to go there?

I will past this from the article:

"Michigan head coach Jim Harbaugh and the Wolverine coaching staff will be holding a satellite football camp at Prattville high school in Prattville, Alabama on June 5th this summer."

I don't not see any names of those "many" coaches at the camp on the flier I only see one.

I'm not saying that. Clearly that's not the case. I just don't see anything wrong with this. If Urban or Dantonio did the exact same thing I wouldn't complain at all. As mentioned, I don't see how this is any different than Dantonio and Harbaugh hosting camps in the same state. We seem to do OK with that without any fist fights going down. Hell, our coaches regularly attend HS coaching clinics together. I'd argue it's a very useful way of evaluating talent while also giving HS kids some guidance from some of the game's best coaches. It harms no one but the ego of a few school administrators.

I also think the rule in question, not being able to "host" a camp, is stupid -- for the reasons above. That's a perfectly clean way of evaluating talent and it's an unnecessary limit on coaches; especially when you have schools actually doing really bad things like paying players and cutting kid's scholarships at the last moment.

A camp in your own state is much different than camps in other states. As Innermind said if Meyer did this in Michigan their fans would be going nuts calling him every cheating name in the book. As far as the "rule", well rules are rules and Harbs is skirting the rule by being "invited" and not hosting. As I said before if a coach like Meyer or Saban did this the Michigan fan base would be up in arms and crying foul but its a Michigan coach so all is ok, they do no wrong.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with everything you are saying. That was my point, Harbs is doing it and it is "smart" according to most Michigan fans but if Meyer was doing the exact same thing you would hear about how much of a cheater he is and how slimy he is for doing the camps.

I will past this from the article:

"Michigan head coach Jim Harbaugh and the Wolverine coaching staff will be holding a satellite football camp at Prattville high school in Prattville, Alabama on June 5th this summer."

I don't not see any names of those "many" coaches at the camp on the flier I only see one.

A camp in your own state is much different than camps in other states. As Innermind said if Meyer did this in Michigan their fans would be going nuts calling him every cheating name in the book. As far as the "rule", well rules are rules and Harbs is skirting the rule by being "invited" and not hosting. As I said before if a coach like Meyer or Saban did this the Michigan fan base would be up in arms and crying foul but its a Michigan coach so all is ok, they do no wrong.

I don't know what other people would be doing, but I truly would not care. As I said earlier, I didn't even know this was a rule. If Urban had done it, I would have shrugged it off thinking it was perfectly legal. To be honest, I would have probably said that most coaches do this and I was more shocked to find out that Harbaugh was doing something abnormal by doing it.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know what other people would be doing, but I truly would not care. As I said earlier, I didn't even know this was a rule. If Urban had done it, I would have shrugged it off thinking it was perfectly legal. To be honest, I would have probably said that most coaches do this and I was more shocked to find out that Harbaugh was doing something abnormal by doing it.

Personally I think they should be able to do it anywhere they want. If they hold a camp nobody is forcing kids to go or sign with that coach. I 100% agree there but for now it is a rule, not sure why it was made but it was. I am sure some coach did something shady and they had to establish this rule.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anything like SEC... the coaches would "loan" them the money.
Kind of like how Pryor had a rental sports car while his actual car was "in the shop"..."getting repaired"...."for months"?

cwerph

Go Bucks!
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's smart strategy, if you need that sort of thing to sell your program.

:dhd: