• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Michael Sam: Still really gay, still wants to play

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3siwrq.jpg

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me the issue is that teams see him as a guy that just doesn't really have much of a position. Not fast enough and not big enough to hold up in the 3-4 or the 4-3. He is probably good enough to make the 90 man rosters that teams start out Training Camp with but unless you are sure he is going to be able to make the 53-man roster then he is not worth the headache that comes of bringing him into training camp. The same thing has happened to Tim Tebow on the other end of the spectrum in he is worth having on the 90 man roster but is he worth the headache that comes from a guy that most likely won't make the cut to the 53?

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just wish the first player to come out of the closet was a tight end. Trying to watch sports reporters get through an interview with a straight face would have been awesome

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just wish the first player to come out of the closet was a tight end. Trying to watch sports reporters get through an interview with a straight face would have been awesome
or wide receiver

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And if he was a successful tight end and converted to a wide receiver it would have been epic.
theres some commercial for sabra humus, with the father from "arrested development"...knows nothing about football.

one guy says "thats a heck of a tight end"

he replies "yeah, its the tightest"

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I admire Sam's ambition but at this point I doubt his NFL career amounts to much.

Oldschool739

It's my Country, Flag, Bible, Gun. Don't try it !
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
— Michael Sam, the openly gay linebacker who spent parts of his rookie season on the practice squad with the Cowboys before being released, participated in a veteran free agent combine Sunday in Tempe, Arizona, and said of his prospects of landing a spot with an NFL team, “I think my chances are high.”

“As long as I have that will to play the game and I am healthy, you’ll continue to see me trying to play in this league,” he said. “I am very confident I will be playing football somewhere.”

Added Sam: “I’m young and I’m still good. I don’t have any injuries. I’m going to play.”

Sam, 25, was drafted in the seventh round by the Rams last April but was cut in training camp. He said he’d be “on the first flight out” if the Rams or Cowboys wanted him, and he would consider playing in the Canadian Football League as well

“If that’s the opportunity, I’ll take it,” he said. “I’m a fighter and I’m going to keep fighting.”

Along with more than 100 other free agents in front of scouts from all 32 NFL teams, Sam went through drills similar to the NFL scouting combine for rookies. According to ESPN, his fastest 40-yard dash was an unimpressive 5.07 seconds, slower than the 4.91 he clocked at last year’s combine.

Sam said he has been working out in California while also participating on “Dancing With the Stars.” He is scheduled to appear on Monday’s live show.

Maybe he should start his own Closet Football League, so we won't have to look at that weirdo anymore !!:cheer2:

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me this is much like the Tebow thing. If he could play at this level, he would be. Teams care more about winning than the sideshow storylines. Sam was drafted and had a shot with 2 different franchises. That's already a lot more of a look than many similarly talented college players get.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sam, Tebow, or anyone else.

The NFL is an elite fraternity in which there are a finite number of spots. If being the best football player you can possibly be isn't your #1 priority, chances are, you're not going to make it.

Tebow's #1 priority was making sure everyone knew how holy he is.
Sam's #1 priority was making sure everyone knew how gay he is.

Congratulations. You both succeeded. Good luck on the football thing.

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is the truth on this subject:

Michael Sam, Not a Football Player, a Liberal Sports Media Creation | CNS News

Michael Sam, Not a Football Player, a Liberal Sports Media Creation

The sham of a mockery that was Michael Sam’s attempt to re-enter the NFL via the Veteran Combine has been exposed. Weeks ago in a CNS News article, I forewarned that Sam’s decision to participate in “Dancing with the Stars,” airing only one week before the start of the combine, would hurt Sam physically. He was supposed to be training for football at that time, not learning the Rumba.

That fact was made clear when, according to USA Today Sports, Sam actually posted worse numbers in the 40-yard dash than he did at the rookie combine..

I also predicted that Sam’s agreement to go on “DWTS” would solidify once and for all the irrefutable fact that he was not a football player. He was a media creation dedicated more to advancing his celebrity than advancing to the NFL.

This too was borne out. According to TMZ Sports, an NFL scout at the veteran’s combine was concerned about Sam’s attitude.

“He thinks he’s a superstar” according to the report. “It would be nice if he could do something on the field to back up the attitude.”

Hmm, I wonder where Michael Sam could have gotten the impression that he was a “superstar?” Maybe after months of fawning praise from the sports media for doing nothing more than presenting himself as the first openly gay football player, Sam came to believe that his homosexuality made him a superstar.

I’m not here to credit myself for calling out Michael Sam as more activist than football player. I’m here to blame the sports media. Because, you own this. You own Michael Sam’s fall from grace.

The sports media didn’t make Sam a short, slow tweener and a bad scheme fit for an NFL defense. It was more sinister than that. They made him unlikeable. In their zeal to turn Sam into the gay Jackie Robinson, they made him arrogant. They took a likeable kid and made him a diva with the sense of entitlement that drives NFL-types nuts.

If the New York Times had been honest about where Sam stood in the draft, as opposed to saying he was “projected to be drafted in the early rounds,” something no scout worth anything believed, then maybe the entitlement wouldn’t have set in. If Sam hadn’t been told he was making “incredibly brave decisions” and “breaking longstanding barriers,” the arrogance might not have taken root. Perhaps if ESPN hadn’t shown Sam kissing his boyfriend on a loop for 87 hours, Sam would have seen himself as more football player than gay man.

However, the sports media couldn’t help themselves. As CBS’ Greg Doyell admitted, in Michael Sam “the mostly liberal media has a story that we find not just fascinating, but inspiring. And we’re going to write about Michael Sam as much as we can … because it’s so fun and new and progressive.”

And write they did. Yet, Doyell’s breathtaking honesty included a warning:

“… at some point you have to wonder if the overexposure that killed the career of Tim Tebow will do the same to Michael Sam.”

Did it? No. Michael Sam isn’t an exceptional athlete. That’s why he doesn’t have a job. But Sam could have still been a hero to the gay rights agenda that the liberal sports media finds so “fun and new and progressive” if he had just remained sympathetic, or likeable. But that’s over now, and as for the liberal sports media?

You built that.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look, the NFL is a win/money business. If there was a team out there that thought he could help them win, he'd be on it. Period.

The fact that multiple scouts, GMS, and advisors have said that his veteran workout was a 'complete disaster' tell anyone all they need to know. The NFL is littered with guys who were great in college and busted in the NFL for one reason or another. Sam needs to simply recognize that while he was some great stats in college, his overall profile, build, and ability (or lack thereof) does not fit the NFL mold. There's nothing wrong with that. He had a hell of a time in college, and stuck his neck out to be one of the first major athletes to come out as gay.

But his continuance of the issue, and stating that he can play football at the NFL level, and hints that it's because he's gay that he's not getting a fair shot is flat out ridiculous and false. It's time for Sam to look in the mirror and realize that he's just not an NFL player, and that's ok.

Broncosballer32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that he deserves to be signed by someone, but I don't think that anyone wants the publicity surrounding signing him. Just like he was "confident" last year, I bet that this year's "confidence" will be for not...

When you say he "deserves" to be signed, what do you mean? He ran a 4.9 in the forty. Take a look at any DE in the NFL. None of them are that slow. Not at the NFL level.

He ran slower than that at his workouts.

The NFL organized so a team would draft him. Which team? The one team that did not need a DE at all. The Rams. They then went into mass production. His jerserys were quickly pressed and sold. His jersey was one of the highest sold jersey.

They made their chunk of money and the Rams were free and clear to cut him out.

He will use his gayness to try and garner sympathy or pity. Either way, whatever popularity he does garner is behalf of the grievance industry. After all of the vultures are finished taking advantage of his ass, and after everyone has taken a nice wet bite out of his ass for ancillary benefits, he will be cut loose again.

Where, hopefully he wisely invests his money into some safe investment and get steady fixed income. Where he, and his little boyfriend can live together forever in some gay heaven.

TxHeat

Hard Member!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was going to use the term butt-hurt but maybe not for this story. :L

{+}Mother-Marge{+}

Hoopla Cash
$ 50.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
down from the 4.91 he "ran" last year.

positionless and too slow for the NFL.
...lol,......but he could still beat Vince wilfork in a race,....and Vince is still employed.....?!,.......kinda reminds me of all the "out of shape" cops in my town who are closer to 300-lbs. vs. 200-lbs. = when they were hired 10/15 yrs. ago,.....I can't understand the logic, if you know what I mean.