• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Michael Raffl & Steve Downie

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still want no part of Rosehill in the lineup. I'd much rather call someone up or dress 7 dmen.

Downie with his head up his ass is still better than Jay Rosehill.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still want no part of Rosehill in the lineup. I'd much rather call someone up or dress 7 dmen.

True - they should and probably will call up Tye McGinn

EVille3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True - they should and probably will call up Tye McGinn

yes...call up McGinn and play him in Downie's spot. That way Chief can still move Raffl up and down as he sees fit as he has been

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love McGinn but they'd be better served with Newberry or Vanvelde now IMO. However the may go with Rosehill since we may need him if we play the Rags, Pens or Bruins in the playoffs.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yes...call up McGinn and play him in Downie's spot. That way Chief can still move Raffl up and down as he sees fit as he has been

That's my thought, you know that Couts and Reader have instant chemistry so it shouldn't be difficult for the third guy, since Steve Downie didn't really do that much

It doesn't hamstring the lines either, it keeps things flexible

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually another guy they could look at could be Akeson but I'm not sure how defensively sound he is. He is quick as hell and can pass/score.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agreed that was my point I really don't care if it's Downie, Laughton, McGinn, etc...just as long as the 4th line is effective as the 3rd is fine.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually another guy they could look at could be Akeson but I'm not sure how defensively sound he is. He is quick as hell and can pass/score.

For whatever reason, they're very hesitant to call up akeson. He's been the phantoms best player for 2 and a half years and still rarely gets the call.

I expect they'd want someone more defensively minded anyway. They don't need the help on offense at the moment. *knock on wood

If they call someone up, I expect it would be vandevelde, but I think they'll just dress Rosehill. Unfortunately.

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For whatever reason, they're very hesitant to call up akeson. He's been the phantoms best player for 2 and a half years and still rarely gets the call.

I expect they'd want someone more defensively minded anyway. They don't need the help on offense at the moment. *knock on wood

If they call someone up, I expect it would be vandevelde, but I think they'll just dress Rosehill. Unfortunately.

do you think it has something to do with Akeson's size and a fear of him being out muscled?

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could be as Read is already small they'd rather have size on that line especially in the playoffs...they also have to be defensively responsible.

They do like Raffl's speed on the 4th line as well so I'm cool with him being bumped around....

wbon22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On Steve Downie, I think he has been concussed or playing with post concussion syndrome for much of his time here. He just seemed to be in a fog. Berube gave him ample time to get his game back together and he had improved recently to at least not be an active detriment. That said, what offensive game he had seems to be gone. Don't know why, but...

Raffle has been playing a more confident simple game. As the season has progressed he has shown flashes of being a top six forward...and the flashes of being and AHL forward. The flashes of the latter have been fewer and fewer as he has simplified his game (within the role he has been given).

I think with Downie now injured again it is a safe bet that Raffle takes over the wing on the 3rd line. Whoever is brought up from the Phantoms will most likely on see 4 - 8 minutes of ice time a night in an energy role.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea wbon, Downie's injury may indeed be a blessing in disguise as now the Flyers move Raffl if they choose, bring a call-up, plug him in, and see how the changes play out.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It played out pretty damn well the rest of the game against St. Louis without Downie and down to 11 forwards. Losing the weak winger on the third line or a fourth line forward is never going to hurt us in a game because the top three lines are stacked with depth and virtually everyone can inherit more minutes to pick up the slack.

Having Raffl is great too because if we lose a winger on one of the top two lines, he can slide right in there comfortably and fill the hole. Couturier and Read are getting it done even just as a duo.

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a feeling that either Raffl moves up to the 3rd line and VanVelde plays on the 4th with reduced playing time or they recall McGinn. If McGinn is recalled I see them playing him with Schenn & Simmonds and either moving Vinny to the third or in all honesty Vinny on the 4th and used on PP's wouldn't be the worst thing in the world because it give you the option to move him all over your lineup with fresh legs when you get the opportunity to (much like they're doing with Raffl now).

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like McGinn has been called up and you got your wish banditshcky11.

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like McGinn has been called up and you got your wish banditshcky11.

I'll be honest I don't like seeing Downie or anyone for that matter get hurt. I do feel like McGinn is less of a liability as far as retaliation or penalties in general go plus he brings really good energy and some more size which will help him be a net front presence an hopefully help us net some more "dirty goals".

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would guess that McGinn will play on the 3rd so they can leave that 4th line intact as it has been very effective. Raffl will move up when they go to 3 lines. Mav I have to disagree with you as I don't want to see Philly go back to being a 3 line team....that will not give them an edge moving forward.

dspice07

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I have a feeling that either Raffl moves up to the 3rd line and VanVelde plays on the 4th with reduced playing time or they recall McGinn. If McGinn is recalled I see them playing him with Schenn & Simmonds and either moving Vinny to the third or in all honesty Vinny on the 4th and used on PP's wouldn't be the worst thing in the world because it give you the option to move him all over your lineup with fresh legs when you get the opportunity to (much like they're doing with Raffl now).

4th line? Seriously?

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would guess that McGinn will play on the 3rd so they can leave that 4th line intact as it has been very effective. Raffl will move up when they go to 3 lines. Mav I have to disagree with you as I don't want to see Philly go back to being a 3 line team....that will not give them an edge moving forward.

To say we're a four line team is sort of an exaggeration. Guys like Rinaldo and Hall fill certain roles very well, but they are getting very limited ice time compared to everyone on the top three lines. Raffl gets more time because he's taking shifts on the third line and he is one of our better penalty killers. He can effectively play on any line. Our fourth line plays occasionally, yes, but when it really matters, they're going to sit on the bench and watch.

Last edited by a moderator:

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4th line? Seriously?

ya, that's a little steep. vinny has had a tough year, but he's playing much better of late and has been very good.

plus, mcginn is not a top 6 NHL forward. if he's playing in your top 6, your team has significant problems.

To say we're a four line team is sort of an exaggeration. Guys like Rinaldo and Hall fill certain roles very well, but they are getting very limited ice time compared to everyone on the top three lines. Raffl gets more time because he's taking shifts on the third line and he is one of our better penalty killers. He can effectively play on any line. Our fourth line plays occasionally, yes, but when it really matters, they're going to sit on the bench and watch.

and at that point, is when you slide raffl to the 3rd line, IMO. because without raffl, i dont see the 4th line getting more than 3 or 4 minutes a game.