• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Message Board Braggin' Rights League

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I s'pose you guys are right. "What if" Bortles actually made a "miraculous comeback" and all that.

It is what it is.

leftypower

THE NFL HAS GONE TO HELL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't disagree that it may feel wrong, it does at times. that "feeling" doesn't trump logic. either what happens in the field matters, or it doesn't. can't only count half of it just cause it feels right.

True this sucks, but, the turnovers, sacks, ill advised pick sixes, and all that crap that happens in garbage time...that stuff counts too , no one complains about those numbers being added to a defensive total..can't have it all, right?

Yep - it is a matter of perception. ... if you're on the positive side - its good, if not - its something to bitch about. ... no perfect system exist.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I must say, I was very impressed with Mariota last night, the fact that he's my starter notwithstanding: kid looked poised, polished and in control.

Doesn't hurt that he has a stud running game, either.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
disagree..nobody cares how many of Bret Favre's or Peyton Manning's TD's came in garbage time, only that they count in the record books. Sack records are built in and are set in garbage times, we win some in garbage time, we lose some in garbage time. it's simply part of the NFL reality, no need for any type of correction, and I have no idea how completion percentage would fix any of it anyway.

First off, i am not calling for a change in MBBRL... Just seeing a flaw with fantasy football in general...

and the reason i brought up completion percentage or any penalty for an incompletion is that it measures how well the QB did all game... It might not measure garbage time well, but what was the last QB that had a good completion % in a game where he was able to garbage time points?? Look at Bortles last night, he was 33 for 54...

In the playoff league i do for the MBBRLers we use a -1 per incompletion, but to even it out we use a +1 for first downs... I think this is a great way to minimize garbage time points, as it still keeps things simple... even though it doesn't penalize garbage points directly, it does penalize a player for sucking for most of the game!!!

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First off, i am not calling for a change in MBBRL... Just seeing a flaw with fantasy football in general...

and the reason i brought up completion percentage or any penalty for an incompletion is that it measures how well the QB did all game... It might not measure garbage time well, but what was the last QB that had a good completion % in a game where he was able to garbage time points?? Look at Bortles last night, he was 33 for 54...

In the playoff league i do for the MBBRLers we use a -1 per incompletion, but to even it out we use a +1 for first downs... I think this is a great way to minimize garbage time points, as it still keeps things simple... even though it doesn't penalize garbage points directly, it does penalize a player for sucking for most of the game!!!

But what if that player has sucked for most of the game, then pulls out a win? There's the thing.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But what if that player has sucked for most of the game, then pulls out a win? There's the thing.

he still had a bad game, didn't he?? I mean we do nothing to account for efficiency... Its like in baseball, if i go 1-5 with a HR, does the 1-5 not count(in some leagues it doesn't)??

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he still had a bad game, didn't he?? I mean we do nothing to account for efficiency... Its like in baseball, if i go 1-5 with a HR, does the 1-5 not count(in some leagues it doesn't)??

I don't think you can compare it to baseball. Way too many types of leagues, too many variables. In some leagues a pitcher can go, say, 8 innings, not give up a run, and still take a loss...and be penalized for it.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think you can compare it to baseball. Way too many types of leagues, too many variables. In some leagues a pitcher can go, say, 8 innings, not give up a run, and still take a loss...and be penalized for it.

My point wasn't really about all the different leagues though, it was just how in most leagues there is more to an offensive player than just the number of hits he gets... and in most leagues failure is penalized some how...

I mean, looking at Bortles vs Mariota last night, not many people would think Bortles had the better game, but he did have the better FANTASY game as he scored 8 more points in most leagues...

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's 60 minutes in a football game. Garbage schmarbage. It's part of the game. The Titans weren't forced to stop playing defense in the second half. I HATE "prevent" defense. All it prevents, is the defense getting off the field.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My point wasn't really about all the different leagues though, it was just how in most leagues there is more to an offensive player than just the number of hits he gets... and in most leagues failure is penalized some how...

I mean, looking at Bortles vs Mariota last night, not many people would think Bortles had the better game, but he did have the better FANTASY game as he scored 8 more points in most leagues...

Yep, and that's where I agree with ya...it just doesn't seem right. But...what if he actually came back and won the game? Then everyone would be saying "Holy Crap, he was great!".

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's 60 minutes in a football game. Garbage schmarbage. It's part of the game. The Titans weren't forced to stop playing defense in the second half. I HATE "prevent" defense. All it prevents, is the defense getting off the field.

Lol, I agree with you too. It just doesn't seem right.

Then again, garbage time is a fantasy strategy isn't it?

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, and that's where I agree with ya...it just doesn't seem right. But...what if he actually came back and won the game? Then everyone would be saying "Holy Crap, he was great!".

would people?? i don't think you can hide playing like crap all game by playing well for one quarter no matter how well you did in that quarter... Of course you are right that the media and the casual fan would say he was great, but anyone that knows anything about the sport doesn't get fooled by just a handful of plays...

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
would people?? i don't think you can hide playing like crap all game by playing well for one quarter no matter how well you did in that quarter... Of course you are right that the media and the casual fan would say he was great, but anyone that knows anything about the sport doesn't get fooled by just a handful of plays...

This is true. Then again, winning cures all ills.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree, and i haven't asked for a penalize for the garbage time, all i want is a better measurement for the crappiness he had previously...

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's look at the opposite effect.

Look at Fitzcrapstick. Many times he has had 3 GREAT quarters. But fails in the 4th time after time. Yup, there he was last year pretending he had a good season, but if you look closer, the Jets should have left him on his couch.

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My apologies if it sounded like I was too harsh in my disagreement. and I wasn't assuming you wanted to change the MBBRL, my disagreement was in general terms as well.

but here's the thing, why is the QB the only one "punished" in garbage time? what about his receivers and RB'S? why do they get garbage points without penalties, and how is that a fair system? and like Lefty mentioned, if garbage time points are so detramental, how do you address the defenses? to me, addressing the"issue" for one position, but leaving everything else unaffected is much much more "unfair" than just leaving it alone, win some lose some.

you day your pointing out a flaw, I don't see one, it's just how the league functions, and fantasy just files along

Last edited:

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My apologies if it sounded like I was too harsh in my disagreement. and I want assuming you wanted to change the MBBRL, my disagreement was in general terms as well.

but here's the thing, why is the QB the inky one "punished" in garbage time? what about his receivers and RB'S? why do they get garbage points without penalties, and how is that a fair system? and like Lefty mentioned, if garbage time points are so detramental, how do you address the defenses? to me, addressing the"issue" for one position, but leaving everything else unaffected us much much more "unfair" than just leaving it alone, win some lose some

again, my solution doesn't really affect garbage time, but measures how efficient he was... But i kind of like penalizing a WR for a dropped ball and a RB for negative yardage... The only reason i have never implemented those is because i try to boost up WR and RB points to limit the QB advantage fantasy gives...

I don't think there is a way to truly measure garbage time, so to me that is an unrealistic goal...

Yellow Fuzzies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Possibly the worst quaterbacked game from one side I've ever watched. Yet he finishes with 330 and 3 TD! Gross.
I will be counting on garbage time from Bortles next week when he goes in for Brady on his bye.:yes:

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So glad I get Brady vs my Bills this week. Who made the schedule?!!

that'd be this guy. ..
Smokey-And-The-Bandit.jpg