• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Melky Cabrera

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Albert Belle is still getting paid LOL

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As it stands, the Mariners have a 3-year deal on the table for Cabrera, but won't go four. Hence the reason he has yet to be signed as he waits for more years somewhere. Executives feel that he will end up in Seattle, it's just a matter of who will blink first.

This makes sense considering that Jack mentioned the possibility of two outfielders eventually being added to the roster before ST. I think Jack knows that we are in decent enough position to compete now, and not needed to overpay any longer. I'm sure Cruz & Cano will be on the phone with Melky until he signs. I have a good feeling about this, especially if he backs down and signs for three.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cano said yesterday he has been talking to him regularly like he did with Cruz and mentions how the 3 can make something happen together. That helps, but in the end money talks and some big team who see the need to make something happen like Yanks (not necessarily Yanks but team like them or Jays) will step up and make the 4 year deal that ends all talks. Jack is that guy that seems to wait just a minute too long and loses out.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, the only chip the M's have is outbidding/giving more years because of the Safeco factor.

Hoping jack blinks first and pronto.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yup. one year won't kill this franchise.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cano said yesterday he has been talking to him regularly like he did with Cruz and mentions how the 3 can make something happen together. That helps, but in the end money talks and some big team who see the need to make something happen like Yanks (not necessarily Yanks but team like them or Jays) will step up and make the 4 year deal that ends all talks. Jack is that guy that seems to wait just a minute too long and loses out.

He landed Cano, Cruz, resigned Seagar way early, and never gave in to giving up Felix but rather paid the man. Not sure he waits too long, rather I think he values guy's and sticks to those values. It was worth it to overpay for Cano and go four years on an aging Cruz, but after that I don't think he feels that going four on Cabrera is worth it. I don't blame him, I say stick to his guns.

Thisnamewasntaken

Formerly from ESPN
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just give him the same contract we gave Cruz, that way they can both feel all special and fuzzy inside lol.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He landed Cano, Cruz, resigned Seagar way early, and never gave in to giving up Felix but rather paid the man. Not sure he waits too long, rather I think he values guy's and sticks to those values. It was worth it to overpay for Cano and go four years on an aging Cruz, but after that I don't think he feels that going four on Cabrera is worth it. I don't blame him, I say stick to his guns.

Signing anyone to $240M doesn't take talent or timing. $70M over next best offer just shows he can't do a deal w/o extremely overpaying.

Cruz was a year too late costing about $7-8M more and losing out on his biggest year to date and possibly in the future.

Seager would have been worth about $50-60M if signed after 2013. Wait til after 2014 and price went up to $100M.

GM'ing isn't just about getting something done, but about getting it done when it best fits the team. How many RF'ers have been passed by in the last 3 years making Cabrera now basically the only choice that actually benefits us. That is my view on Jack.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Signing anyone to $240M doesn't take talent or timing. $70M over next best offer just shows he can't do a deal w/o extremely overpaying.

Cruz was a year too late costing about $7-8M more and losing out on his biggest year to date and possibly in the future.

Seager would have been worth about $50-60M if signed after 2013. Wait til after 2014 and price went up to $100M.

GM'ing isn't just about getting something done, but about getting it done when it best fits the team. How many RF'ers have been passed by in the last 3 years making Cabrera now basically the only choice that actually benefits us. That is my view on Jack.
You said that he always seems to wait a second too long for whatever reason, and we manage to miss major deals at the last second. Those deals that I stated are the exact opposite of waiting until the last second and missing. He saw value, saw their respective value of the Mariners, and Jack pulled the trigger by any means necessary.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How can missing out on Cruz in '13 for a 2/$15M after chasing him all off season and then missing out because Orioles signed him not be waiting too long? Then having to give him 4/$57M. That will fall under the category of missing out because he waited too long.

How is not signing Seager after '13 for $50M-$60M but then having to sign him for $100M a year later not categorized as missing the boat or waiting too long?

The Cano thing is waiting to long to sign a real player because they missed out on a star for 2 straight years. Now he backed himself into a corner because he, and everyone else, knew that he was out the door if he failed to change the lineup in a big way so he had to dump a ton of money for a decade on a position we really didn't need a change at.

Not sure I can explain it differently. Look at his track record at the trade deadlines and all you see is a history of talk and nothing gets completed as the clock expires. There are a number of articles from sources in baseball written by baseball writers that state he is well known for thinking so long the deals never get completed and the other teams/players move on.

Difference of opinion I guess.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How can missing out on Cruz in '13 for a 2/$15M after chasing him all off season and then missing out because Orioles signed him not be waiting too long? Then having to give him 4/$57M. That will fall under the category of missing out because he waited too long.

How is not signing Seager after '13 for $50M-$60M but then having to sign him for $100M a year later not categorized as missing the boat or waiting too long?

The Cano thing is waiting to long to sign a real player because they missed out on a star for 2 straight years. Now he backed himself into a corner because he, and everyone else, knew that he was out the door if he failed to change the lineup in a big way so he had to dump a ton of money for a decade on a position we really didn't need a change at.

Not sure I can explain it differently. Look at his track record at the trade deadlines and all you see is a history of talk and nothing gets completed as the clock expires. There are a number of articles from sources in baseball written by baseball writers that state he is well known for thinking so long the deals never get completed and the other teams/players move on.

Difference of opinion I guess.

Touche'.

I just look at what the M's were before Jack arrived, and although extremely frustrating at times, this team is vastly different. Baseball teams can take years to become relevant, and unfortunately we didn't have a Billy Beane or even an ownership group that seemed to care to advance the process quicker. Though, I look at what we have today and have to give credit to Jack for putting a competitive product on the field. We may disagree in his approach, and probably agree in certain instances as well. At the end of the day the consensus is that we are a right fielder away from being something that we haven't seen since 2001. Along with that we finally have a farm system. I mean, it's a good time to be an M's fan and its shocking to see the world is ending on these boards still. Meh, everyone is allowed to have an opinion I suppose.

:suds:

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, just have to hope the reason 3 years is being offered is because they have a feel he wont get 4 anywhere else and not that they will refuse to go 4. Hopefully if some other team does step up and offer 4 the M's will get a chance to adjust their bid.
Wonder if a 4th year option, incentive based for like plate appearances or something like that will get it done if they dont want to guarantee a 4th year.

Thisnamewasntaken

Formerly from ESPN
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got rid of Saunders too soon and now we need 2 OF's. Fuck Melky, Fuck Jack, Fuck the Braves FO and Fuck the White Sox.