• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mayhew Draft Picks

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:L

One of the first things Mayhew did when he took over was to trade Redding for Julian Peterson. Redding got his deal done in 2007, when Millen was in charge.

The comment was supposed to be for Lewan not Mayhew who has been in charge of the cap for what the last 20 years. And I believe Redding left dead money.

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those contracts are workable "IF" the players are in agreement.
:noidea: What?? Absolutely no idea what your point is with that statement. Are you suggesting that the cap problems the Lions have been in stemmed from the "original" contracts those three guys signed? You cant be serious. I believe that there has been 7 restructurings of the Stafford, Suh, and CJ contracts. THAT'S what created the problem, NOT the original contracts.

Were up to 5 players now and 48 other players wanna get paid. But I'm guessing 3 HUGE Contracts had nothing to with that, RIGHT? Rookies don't get to hold out until they get what they think their worth anymore. But since the Lions have three of the best players in the NFL were now running into the veterans pay of what they think their worth.
:wtf2: :noidea: I actually have no idea what you are trying to say in that paragraph.

I disagree... what got us in trouble was WC Ford signing Millen to another 5 extension and the NFL changing the Rookie pay scale. By your standards the Wonder Twins are going to be Damn if they sign Suh and Damn if they don't. You can't set there and tell me that Suh isn't in the Drivers Seat
Again, no idea how the change in the rookie pay scale somehow hurt us or where you would get the idea that I didn't think Suh was in the drivers seat. Seriously man WTF?? Have you actually read anything that I have said on this issue? He owns the Lions from a negotiating standpoint and heres a newsflash for you.....that is ENTIRELY the fault of The Wonder Twins, ENTIRELY!!

His rookie contract didn't have almost $19.5m in dead $ on it entering the final year, it had $0. They restructured that damn thing so many times that's how it ended up like that. Who would you like to blame for that?? If its not The Wonder Twins then who is it??

I have been saying for YEARS that there are fucking consequences to the kick the can approach and this is a perfect example. The CBA rules were in place already and established that the 120% rule was based off the players prior year cap hit. The Wonder Twins knew that and restructured him again, TWICE!!! That is flat out a staggering level of ignorance and absolutely no vision whatsoever.

Swarm has said numerous times that players of Suh's caliber don't hit the open market of free agency. He's right, they don't, and if our front office wasn't two inept, unquailed, and worthless boobs we wouldn't be looking at that possibility. Do you think anyone would be upset over tagging him at $15m this year and $18m next year?? Of course not, and that's what he would have cost if LewAAnd had a clue what he was doing.

But he doesn't so if by some miracle he gets a long term deal done :-)hope:) it will unquestionably be at an amount well higher than what it would be if we held the leverage of tagging him in consecutive years. But since we blew that to hell we'll overpay, which is still better than losing him, but will keep the momentum of cap troubles going on for longer. LewanDUI isn't part of a solution because he's the damn problem.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mayhew has hit on some picks. I also see that he may lose two 1st rounders this off season. I'm a middle of the road on MM that happens and it will not help my views of the front office.

Last edited by a moderator:

LionsWhyMe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,325.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you suggesting that the cap problems the Lions have been in stemmed from the "original" contracts those three guys signed? You cant be serious.

No I'm suggesting Players are knocking down the doors to play in Detroit. <--- For that I'm not serious. The Lions have been at a disadvantage since Suh signed his rookie contract. CJ "original" contract came from the Millen era... which Rookies set the tone just like Stafford and Suh did when they were drafted. Three players eating up more than half of the Cap Space. Like I said "IF" the player agrees to a Contract.

CJ had his best season at the time in his Contract year to get his extension. Stafford had an outstanding year during his Contract year to drive up his stock to get his extension. Suh held out and had his 2nd best season since he signed with the Lions. Some how you seem to think their the only three that wanna get what they can get when it's a 53 man roster...

I believe that there has been 7 restructurings of the Stafford, Suh, and CJ contracts. THAT'S what created the problem, NOT the original contracts.

You seem to think spreading out 50 other Contracts and bringing in talent to upgrade positions is a "walk in the park" when 3 players are taking up more than half of the Cap Salary. You'll see more players like Cliff Avril when their Contracts are up hitting the Market to get paid.

I'm in no way, shape, or form saying the "Wonder Twins" have made all the right moves, but I do know what their doing isn't as easy as your trying to make it out as.

Dr. Evil-er

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Suh held out and had his 2nd best season since he signed with the Lions. Some how you seem to think their the only three that wanna get what they can get when it's a 53 man roster...

Honestly, what are you talking about?? When did Suh hold out? He missed a week or so of his rookie camp and those deals were pretty well slotted in terms of amounts because like now they basically fell in line with the contract signed by the spot above them with QB's getting a premium. And what in the hell does the other guys wanting to get paid have to do with anything? EVERY player wants to get paid premium dollars, that's about as basic as it gets but has nothing to do with how things have been handled by the Lions.

You seem to think spreading out 50 other Contracts and bringing in talent to upgrade positions is a "walk in the park" when 3 players are taking up more than half of the Cap Salary.

And that's exactly the part you very clearly don't understand. Three combined contracts that average $50m don't have to count as $50m each season. It's a matter of how you structure the payments, how you layer in the different annual cap hits, the dead money your are willing to risk carrying on each player in the late years of their deals, who and when you consider restructuring a deal, and the risk/reward of other veteran role players and the deals you sign them to.

I'm done debating this with you. No one is going to convince me that Lewand has done a good job in managing our cap situation, and he has sucked balls at it for years. You are entitled to your opinion on the matter and I respect that. The competitive disadvantage you spoke of however is not the player contracts of our big three, its the idiot who destroyed them with his constant restructuring and I can use the $19.5m dead on Suh's deal in the final year of his contract as demonstrative evidence of that.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Say the Lions re-sign Suh before free agency.

What are the chances of Dr.Eviler going ape shit? 1-10.
1 Being he just took 3 xanax and 10 being Michael Vicks prize puppy in a dog fight

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1 Being he just took 3 xanax and 10 being Michael Vicks prize puppy in a dog fight
I would hope they re-sign Suh before FA. It gives the Lions a much better idea of where else they can spend their money, rather than holding out hope that he re-signs at some point and we miss the boat on other potential signings.

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The answer, of course, depends on the contract. At up to 7 years $17MM per season, 2. At 9 years $200MM, 8. If tagged, 9 (me too).

Dr. Evil-er

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The answer is 0. I want them to resign Suh. I've said that numerous times. I want him signed before FA. Any deal averaging between $16.75m and $17.25m is fine by me. That contract should also carry the largest guaranteed amount in the history of the league. I've said that as well. I advocated a staggering $66m, even if its only a six year deal. That's $5m more than the reigning MVP got.

I will be very curious as to how the deal is structured and layered together. That might be an area that I won't like but I'm betting that wont be the case. And I'll bet that the base design of the signing bonus and option bonus that will be included is very similar to what I'm thinking. Where I suspect that we might disagree is in the number of years those hits are spread out over. Lewand likes to use the maximum of 5 whereas I would prefer to see him shorten those up another year or two. That way you can create a mid-contract space to restructure if needed but not have a ridiculous amount of dead $ left at the end of the contract.

LionsWhyMe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,325.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm done debating this with you. No one is going to convince me that Lewand has done a good job in managing our cap situation, and he has sucked balls at it for years. You are entitled to your opinion on the matter and I respect that. The competitive disadvantage you spoke of however is not the player contracts of our big three, its the idiot who destroyed them with his constant restructuring and I can use the $19.5m dead on Suh's deal in the final year of his contract as demonstrative evidence of that.

That's fine, I'll give you back your pinkie so you'll stop whining... it's Tom Lewand fault for putting the Lions in the situation of drafting in one of the first two spots in 2008 and 2009. It's Tom Lewand fault for being on the wrong side of the NFL Rookies pay scale changes. It's Tom Lewand fault for Super-Star talent not knocking down the doors to sign with the Lions for Peanuts. It's Tom Lewand fault because Martin Mayhew hasn't found those diamonds in the rough at three quarters of his draft picks. It's not easy making up a 53 man roster when three player are eating up more than half of the Salary Cap and especially trying to sign better talent in other positions. I still think you'd find a reason to bitch if Lewand had the money to sign Suh and Suh still wanted out of Detroit.