• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mayhew Draft Picks

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Geez, I wonder who couldn't have improved the roster with 6 offseasons, I think he's had 12 picks in the top 50, 4 Top 10 picks (3 of which were Top 5), and he inherited the games best WR.

Way to sets the standards high. :L

And Micro....? A Mark Sanchez reference?? Really? Really? Come on man.

So who is your pick to do better?

I guess you don't think our 11-5 team last season had an above-average (or even, gasp, good) talent level overall?

If that's the case then Caldwell is a genius and a miracle worker! Oh wait, you don't like him either.

Basically, you seem to think everyone in charge of every level of our team is incompetent idiots, yet we went 11-5 last season, made the playoffs, and were right in the thick of the division title chase all year.

What does that tell you about the standards you're demanding? Perhaps you're expecting an unreasonable level of performance that simply doesn't exist in the NFL?

I really don't know, but I'll tell you I'm happy with Mayhew as our GM because he's built a roster that has us in the top quarter of NFL teams talent-wise. I appreciate that because I know we could do a lot worse, just like the majority of the teams in the league- of whom we have a better roster than. That's because of the GM- nobody else to give credit to there. Is Mayhew one of the best few GMs in the league, no? Is he better than most of the GMs in the league? Yes.

So I'll take that and keep the guy who has built what is, pending Suh re-signing, a championship-caliber roster at this very moment. Sure beats the hell out of what we had in the previous 15-20 years or so before Mayhew turned the corner with this current group...

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. Just bc we know now that Sanchez sucks(although he did decent for awhile in Kelly's offense) doesn't mean the front office didn't have to do the due diligence in making the correct pick. Yes, we needed a franchise QB, but that doesn't mean he was necessarily the right pick just bc he was rated the highest QB in te draft. Remember when EVERYONE and their mom thought Reggie would be selected #1 and the Texans selected Mario? Same thing there. The front office did their homework and selected who they best thought could help their franchise.

I'll go even farther- Stafford was far from the consensus #1 QB, at least from what I remember. There were plenty of analysts and coaches and personnel people who swore by Sanchez.

So with the benefit of hindsight on our side, yes, it's easy to say that Stafford was the no-brainer pick at the time. However, the reality of the situation tells a different story. There was debate as to whether Stafford or Sanchez was the best QB, and debate as to whether we should draft a different position with Sam Bradford coming out the following year.

Stafford turned out to be both the right pick and our pick- something Mayhew deserves certainly deserves credit for in my book.

If every pick Mayhew has ever made is either A.) a no brain-er, B.) horrible, or C.) lucky, then why aren't you grading every other GM in the league on the same scale? Mayhew "hits" on more draft picks then most GMs do, so there must be about 20 or so total morons running teams out there, I guess...

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You goddamn Southerners, I tell you what...

:whistle:

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
tpaulus_2 said:
You goddamn Southerners, I tell you what...

:whistle:

:wtf:

:nono:

:finger2:

uuhhmmm, eyes am prouds uv me southyearn heritage.... oh wait... yuz meant southurn-northurn guys

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The front office did their homework and selected who they best thought could help their franchise.
I don't think that took much effort when your choices otherwise were keep Dan Orlovsky, draft Mark Sanchez, or (gasp) trade the #1 overall for Jay Cutler.

The other options were a blown up LT who was once a QB

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't forget about the Wake Forrest OLB there!

Last edited by a moderator:

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And also, he didn't have to draft a QB. It's not as if that was a given going into the draft...

Dr. Evil-er

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess you don't think our 11-5 team last season had an above-average (or even, gasp, good) talent level overall?
Fucking read other posts. 6 years, 3 top five picks, and inheriting CJ.

If that's the case then Caldwell is a genius and a miracle worker! Oh wait, you don't like him either.
I didn't think he was the right guy for the job and with him in charge our team did EXACTLY what his other ones have done, underperformed offensively in a huge way. You are aware that he was going to be fired as the Ravens OC before we hired him. Surprise, surprise, the Ravens offense got much better with him gone and we fell off a cliff.

Basically, you seem to think everyone in charge of every level of our team is incompetent idiots
Yup, and there is plenty of demonstrative evidence to that fact. See the Suh situation for a great example. If you were capable of actually critically evaluating anything without those fucking Honolulu blue and silver glasses you just might see that.

I'll go even farther- Stafford was far from the consensus #1 QB, at least from what I remember. There were plenty of analysts and coaches and personnel people who swore by Sanchez.
:pound:

the reality of the situation tells a different story
I don't think you would know reality if it ran you over with a semi.

why aren't you grading every other GM in the league on the same scale?
why in the name of Zues's butthole would I evaluate other team GM's. The Lions are my team, they are the only ones I care about. How many playoff teams have we beaten in the last six years? How many victories do we have against teams with winning records? How many playoff wins do we have? That's how I evaluate GM's. They build those rosters and that's what matters. You're happy because it looks good on paper? Congrats!! Guess what though, this isn't Madden.

Perhaps you're expecting an unreasonable level of performance that simply doesn't exist in the NFL?
Perhaps yours are way too low. What's the name of the trophy you get for finishing 10th? That's our best finish since 1991 and you think my expectations are too high? :L

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
'09 1st overall Matthew Stafford - QB - (A)
'09 1st Brandon Pettigrew - TE - (D)
'09 3rd DeAndre Levy - LB - (A)
2nd Louis Delmas - S, (B) 3rd Derrick Williams - WR (F), 4th Sammie Lee Hill(A) - DT, 6th Aaron Brown - RB, 7th Lydon Murtha - T (B), 7th Zack Follett - LB, 7th Dan Gronkowski - TE

'10 1st Ndamukong Suh - DT (A)
1st Jahvid Best - RB (A), 3rd Amari Spievey - S (Trash), 4th Jason Fox - T (B), 7th Willie Young - DE(A+), 7th Tim Toone - WR (A+)

'11 1st Nick Fairley - DT (F)
2nd Titus Young - WR (F), 2nd Mikel Leshoure - RB(F), 5th Doug Hogue - LB(D), 7th Johnny Culbreath - T (Who the hell is that?)

'12 1st Riley Reiff - T (A)
'12 2nd Ryan Broyles - WR (D)
'12 3rd Bill Bentley - CB (D)
'12 5th Tahir Whitehead - LB (B-)
'12 7th Travis Lewis - LB (D)
4th Ronnell Lewis - LB, 5th Chris Greenwood - CB, 6th Jonte Green - CB (C)

'13 1st Ezekiel Ansah - DE (A+)
'13 2nd Darius Slay - CB (A+)
'13 3rd Larry Warford - G (A)
'13 4th Devin Taylor - DE (C)
'13 5th Sam Martin - P (B)
'13 6th Corey Fuller - WR (C)
'13 6th Theo Riddick - RB (B)
7th Michael Williams - TE, 7th Brandon Hepburn - LB

'14 1st Eric Ebron - TE (F)
'14 2nd Kyle Van Noy - LB (I)
'14 3rd Travis Swanson - OL (B)
'14 4th Nevin Lawson - DB (I)
'14 5th Caraun Reid - DT (B)
'14 6th T.J. Jones - WR (I)
4th Larry Webster - DE (C) , 7th Nate Freese - K (Millen-esque)

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fucking read other posts. 6 years, 3 top five picks, and inheriting CJ.

I didn't think he was the right guy for the job and with him in charge our team did EXACTLY what his other ones have done, underperformed offensively in a huge way. You are aware that he was going to be fired as the Ravens OC before we hired him. Surprise, surprise, the Ravens offense got much better with him gone and we fell off a cliff.

Yup, and there is plenty of demonstrative evidence to that fact. See the Suh situation for a great example. If you were capable of actually critically evaluating anything without those fucking Honolulu blue and silver glasses you just might see that.

:pound:

I don't think you would know reality if it ran you over with a semi.

why in the name of Zues's butthole would I evaluate other team GM's. The Lions are my team, they are the only ones I care about. How many playoff teams have we beaten in the last six years? How many victories do we have against teams with winning records? How many playoff wins do we have? That's how I evaluate GM's. They build those rosters and that's what matters. You're happy because it looks good on paper? Congrats!! Guess what though, this isn't Madden.

Perhaps yours are way too low. What's the name of the trophy you get for finishing 10th? That's our best finish since 1991 and you think my expectations are too high? :L

Poppycock! (not to be confused with poopycock)

You're lucky I'm working right now, but rest assured I'll destroy this weak-ass rebuttal later!

Hopefully the anticipation is killing you...

Dr. Evil-er

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Poppycock! (not to be confused with poopycock)

You're lucky I'm working right now, but rest assured I'll destroy this weak-ass rebuttal later!

Hopefully the anticipation is killing you...

You mean I'm going to be challenged on an intellectual level by you? The terror sweeping over me from that is so intense.

Let me swing downtown and smoke up a shitload of crack, knock back a bottle of the good Captain M.then slam my head with the door for a few minutes. That way I can dumb it down enough to handicap that challenge appropriately.

TwoCents22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
why in the name of Zues's butthole would I evaluate other team GM's.

Because who do you think we are going to get to replace Mayhew if we fire him? It would either be a failed GM from some other team or a guy with no credentials.

You have to judge him based on what he's done compared to other teams. Its not like we're the only team to have multiple high picks during his tenure as GM.

We can sit here and critique him off of everything hes done that we wouldnt have, and throw in his failures(which everyone has), and then we can all justify hating him. I haven't agreed with a lot of shit he's done, but like I said, looking at where our team was, to where it is now, he's been way above average.

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So who is your pick to do better?

Basically, you seem to think everyone in charge of every level of our team is incompetent idiots, yet we went 11-5 last season, made the playoffs, and were right in the thick of the division title chase all year.

I don't think Roary is incompetent. Took out Charles good a few years ago.

Overall personnel decisions in the last 5 years have been good, but not great, for me. Draft picks have been, IMO, above average. The signing of CJ's extension was not well managed financially (overall dollars fine, but some of the cap hits stupid). The Suh situation is a pure management failure that should get somebody canned. The past coaching staffs were abysmal failures. The current coaching staff so far appear to be excellent hires except OC. I liked the old Lions logo better than the new one. Someone needs to get Barry back on the payroll come hell or high water. Make him VP of hand-shaking and picture appearance.

Dr. Evil-er

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because who do you think we are going to get to replace Mayhew if we fire him? It would either be a failed GM from some other team or a guy with no credentials.
Isn't that the M.O. for this team anyway. That's how we got our head coach. Failed OC about to be fired becomes our HC.

I'll take Xanders in a heartbeat. I don't hold Mayhew to a standard where he is supposed to hit on every pick, not even close, that happens. But when I look at his body of collective work I'm not even close to impressed.

You have to judge him based on what he's done compared to other teams
I don't follow other teams, I follow the Lions and in 6 years with him at the helm we have two wildcard playoff losses. And I'm sorry to say that in both of those years we had very easy schedules and without looking would say that MAYBE three of the wins we had in those two seasons came against teams with winning records. Again, I am simply not impressed. Saying the roster looks good on paper is completely meaningless. The trophy case is still bare and those fucking banners around Ford Field that say Playoff Appearance and the year are a damn embarrassment. That's the level of accomplishment we hang in the rafters? :L

Everyone can feel free to disregard my posts as the rants of a madman or put me on ignore if its easier. Lewand's daddy got him hired with the Lions and Mayhew was hired without any credentials by Millen because they played together at Washington. He was there as his sidekick for all of those horrific years. He should never have been promoted for crying out loud.

I hate them both. Incompetent idiots who if fired will NEVER work in the NFL again in a senior level front office job.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Go lick a bum's butthole you dusty old bastard!

Dr. Evil-er

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SUCK IT PAULUS

Go lick a bum's butthole you dusty old bastard!

Take off those blinders for a few minutes you homer fucking douche. You might enjoy seeing the real world for what it is.

I don't know what color the summer grass is in the great city of Straight Line Family Tree, MI where you live but its not Boise State blue in the real world.

Make sure you get your tickets quickly to the game when we raise that Playoff Appearance 2014 banner. You don't want to miss that monumentous occasion.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We only grow Honolulu Blue Grass 'round here!

Dr. Evil-er

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We only grow Honolulu Blue Grass 'round here!

Don't forget about the inbred hillbillies with fourteen toes and a third ball that you grow there as well.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nah, they all up and runnoft to form their own colony. Indiana, I believe is what they decided to cal it...