• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Matt Ryan is a failure and fraud

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's 8 yrs now, he came in the same yr as Joe....And Joe has had 4 OC's but has had a ton of success, without the elite tier wr's Matt has had and the best TE in the modern era....
That definitely has an effect, but that guy has all the talent and tools to be great and continues to come up short.
I'm baffled by it, myself...
A lot of that 'success' gap would be different if Roddy White catches a pass in one playoff game that he dropped against Arizona and a Denver db doesn't fall down against Baltimore.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's 8 yrs now, he came in the same yr as Joe....And Joe has had 4 OC's but has had a ton of success, without the elite tier wr's Matt has had and the best TE in the modern era....
That definitely has an effect, but that guy has all the talent and tools to be great and continues to come up short.
I'm baffled by it, myself...

Noted, thanks for the correction, but everybody here is aware Joe and Matt came in together..

The Joe vs Matt debate will live on forever because of that...Flacco obviously has had more team success, and much better individual performances in the playoffs...but he's play on better teams...at least vs PIT, the #1 player to stop was always Rice, then the passing game, and get what you could against that DEF.

Coming up short...In turn, Matt's best team success was when he had the great ground game with Mike Turner and a decent DEF...when Turner's performance dropped off, they made the move to get Julio and it became the air show. The QB stats looked good, but team success suffered because they had no running game and weakish DEF.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of that 'success' gap would be different if Roddy White catches a pass in one playoff game that he dropped against Arizona and a Denver db doesn't fall down against Baltimore.

The biggest one was the SF NFCCG...you can say ATL took their foot off the pedal, but the bottom line was the 9ers bowed their necks in the 2nd half and pounded the crap out of the Falcons...in spite of that...ATL had a shot to win it...not to be.

SomeGuy

Christian Conservative
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am hoping he continues his losing ways for several more weeks....

VikingFan2k2

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Very true. I'm not a big fan of either QB. I think one flies high and comes up small (although, he hasn't flown high much this year). The other has gravy-trained a good defense and 4 straight good games into a cap killing contract (hence why I call him Fluke-o).

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, he's lost a step the past few seasons. Guy used to be so much better.

Oldschool739

It's my Country, Flag, Bible, Gun. Don't try it !
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If you're trying to dis Joe's success, major fail....1st yr AFCCG, post and advance first 5 yrs straight, and the yr before his SB MVP, was one questionable dropped TD in the end zone from going to SB46...
Only 2 down seasons in 8 yrs, as compared to what 6 down yrs for Matt...
No comparison in the success market...:nono:

Oldschool739

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very true. I'm not a big fan of either QB. I think one flies high and comes up small (although, he hasn't flown high much this year). The other has gravy-trained a good defense and 4 straight good games into a cap killing contract (hence why I call him Fluke-o).

This from a fan who's whole team relies and revolves around 1 player....
When you look at it, AP is the qb,rb,wr, well the whole offense for that matter....
When we won sb47 , our D was ranked 17th and Pees almost gave that one away after a big 3rd qtr lead...
Joe was voted MVP for a reason, and it sure wasn't the Defense....11 td's , no Int's in that SB run, knocking off #2 Denver and #1 NE back to back....
Think what you like but Ryan, Romo, and several others have bigger contracts than Joe and ain't won squat...
I'm happy with our guy....

VikingFan2k2

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This from a fan who's whole team relies and revolves around 1 player....
When you look at it, AP is the qb,rb,wr, well the whole offense for that matter....
When we won sb47 , our D was ranked 17th and Pees almost gave that one away after a big 3rd qtr lead...
Joe was voted MVP for a reason, and it sure wasn't the Defense....11 td's , no Int's in that SB run, knocking off #2 Denver and #1 NE back to back....
Think what you like but Ryan, Romo, and several others have bigger contracts than Joe and ain't won squat...
I'm happy with our guy....

I fully acknowledge that unless our defense is lights out and he plays the Brad Johnson role, that we probably aren't winning anything with Teddy this year.

That doesn't mean I can't say what I think about other QBs, including yours.

Do you ever expect him to have that kind of a run again? I certainly don't. Especially with how weak the overall talent is around him on offense going forward.

I could be wrong, but I don't think I am.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Noted, thanks for the correction, but everybody here is aware Joe and Matt came in together..

The Joe vs Matt debate will live on forever because of that...Flacco obviously has had more team success, and much better individual performances in the playoffs...but he's play on better teams...at least vs PIT, the #1 player to stop was always Rice, then the passing game, and get what you could against that DEF.

Coming up short...In turn, Matt's best team success was when he had the great ground game with Mike Turner and a decent DEF...when Turner's performance dropped off, they made the move to get Julio and it became the air show. The QB stats looked good, but team success suffered because they had no running game and weakish DEF.
The defense was weak with Turner too. The Falcons used to absolutely dominate time of possession because of Turner's success. Having no running game exposed how bad of a unit they really were once Turner left though.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The defense was weak with Turner too. The Falcons used to absolutely dominate time of possession because of Turner's success. Having no running game exposed how bad of a unit they really were once Turner left though.

Night you're right about TOP with Turner pounding the rock, but I don't remember the D being that weak, at the same time my memory is not that great these days so you made me look it up.

We're both kinda right.

Going off points against...in the 5 seasons Turner was here...the worst ranking was 18th, the best was 5th (twice)...that's decent. The year before Turner came and the year after he left...29th...so he clearly effected the DEF as you said.

Oldschool739

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I fully acknowledge that unless our defense is lights out and he plays the Brad Johnson role, that we probably aren't winning anything with Teddy this year.

That doesn't mean I can't say what I think about other QBs, including yours.

Do you ever expect him to have that kind of a run again? I certainly don't. Especially with how weak the overall talent is around him on offense going forward.

I could be wrong, but I don't think I am.

Dan Marino never had that kind of run ever, nor Fran Tarkenton, and both are still considered 2 of the greats of this game....
You can have any opinion you like but if you're making dumb statements and calling a proven franchise qb names, you're gonna get called on it....
I think Bridge is doing a good job, it's no knock on him, we were talking about Matt Ryan #1 pick and as has been done since day 1, compared him to Joe Flacco who went 18th....
The success of Joe speaks for itself, as does the failure of Ryan, who as I said has all the ability and talent to succeed but hasn't....
And yes,I fully expect Joe to get another SB ring before he is done, maybe 2...

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Night you're right about TOP with Turner pounding the rock, but I don't remember the D being that weak, at the same time my memory is not that great these days so you made me look it up.

We're both kinda right.

Going off points against...in the 5 seasons Turner was here...the worst ranking was 18th, the best was 5th (twice)...that's decent. The year before Turner came and the year after he left...29th...so he clearly effected the DEF as you said.
That's because they weren't on the field as much. They were below average at best but if the other offense isn't getting as many opportunities it's going to seem like they're better through fewer yards, tds, etc.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a fan of a team who has lost their fair share of games against Matt Ryan, I can admit that he's been a really good QB for most of his career. Yeah, yeah, no Superbowl titles, he's still won a lot of games and put up some big numbers.

Have to wonder if he isn't dealing with some nagging injury - or if the dreaded "erosion of skills/abilities" is making an early appearance.

All I ask is that he suck on at least two more occasions this season, on the 13th and 27th of this month, respectively.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dan Marino never had that kind of run ever, nor Fran Tarkenton, and both are still considered 2 of the greats of this game....
You can have any opinion you like but if you're making dumb statements and calling a proven franchise qb names, you're gonna get called on it....
I think Bridge is doing a good job, it's no knock on him, we were talking about Matt Ryan #1 pick and as has been done since day 1, compared him to Joe Flacco who went 18th....
The success of Joe speaks for itself, as does the failure of Ryan, who as I said has all the ability and talent to succeed but hasn't....
And yes,I fully expect Joe to get another SB ring before he is done, maybe 2...

FTR...Ryan was 3rd overall.

More on Ryan vs Flacco...I've seen just about every Falcon game and a considerable amount for the Ravens obviously...in the playoffs when the games matter the most...Clearly Joe has separated himself Matt...that's really the end of the conversation. Career wise, because of better post season performance, there's no question imo, you have to give the nod to Flacco.

I was going to end the post here...But...when you say success and failure and apply it to the QB without recognizing the strength of the team overall (as it looks as if you've done), I have to take notice...You mentioned Marino...he was every bit the QB that Montana was, (imo the best pure passer of his era) just never had the supporting cast much like Ryan has never had the DEF support that Flacco has enjoyed (until this season).

You know this better than anyone...to hoist a Lombardi (the ultimate success in this league) you need a running game and a DEF to complement a solid OFC....the closest the Falcons have come to that was the '98 season. The most complete Ryan led Falcons team was '13, great OFC with Tony G, Julio, Roddy and Turner, but and they had a weak pass rush, it was John Abraham or it was John Abraham. That season they were opportunistic (strong turnover margin) much like the Saints D when they won the SB.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's because they weren't on the field as much. They were below average at best but if the other offense isn't getting as many opportunities it's going to seem like they're better through fewer yards, tds, etc.

I say stalemate on that one...the D was probably avg and you say below. Middle ground might put them slightly below avg I guess which probably where they belong. The one thing we probably will agree on...they never were able to pair Abraham up with another pass rusher and that's why they never got much further along than they did.

On another note GA man....Smart...whattaya think? Idk much about him aside from he played @ UGA and is a proven DC.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say stalemate on that one...the D was probably avg and you say below. Middle ground might put them slightly below avg I guess which probably where they belong. The one thing we probably will agree on...they never were able to pair Abraham up with another pass rusher and that's why they never got much further along than they did.

On another note GA man....Smart...whattaya think? Idk much about him aside from he played @ UGA and is a proven DC.
He is a great defensive mind. Richt came from the Bowden tree (FSU QB coach --> FSU OC ---> UGA head coach) and Smart comes from Saban's. I feel like he could get more out of the defense but there are a few things I'm unsure of about him. The first would be how well he can recruit the top prospects and the 2nd would be who does he hand the keys to the offense to? The 2nd concern could make or break a 5 star QB commitment.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is a great defensive mind. Richt came from the Bowden tree (FSU QB coach --> FSU OC ---> UGA head coach) and Smart comes from Saban's. I feel like he could get more out of the defense but there are a few things I'm unsure of about him. The first would be how well he can recruit the top prospects and the 2nd would be who does he hand the keys to the offense to? The 2nd concern could make or break a 5 star QB commitment.

He seemed to be the front runner immediately...I'm not sure I would not have looked a HC from a smaller program that had some success. I think the QB might end up in FL now if he doesn't follow Richt to MIA...he just visited FL this week I heard. Hopefully he stays the course, but yes...Richt got the job done on national signing day year after year basically.

Unlike TN after Fulmer, I don't think recruiting will fall off much if any...the state is so rich in talent that you're going to get your share as the big Univ.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He seemed to be the front runner immediately...I'm not sure I would not have looked a HC from a smaller program that had some success. I think the QB might end up in FL now if he doesn't follow Richt to MIA...he just visited FL this week I heard. Hopefully he stays the course, but yes...Richt got the job done on national signing day year after year basically.

Unlike TN after Fulmer, I don't think recruiting will fall off much if any...the state is so rich in talent that you're going to get your share as the big Univ.
I have a feeling UGA will shuffle a few HCs out before they find "their guy". Smart's hype seems similar to Muschamp's at Florida. Anybody who thinks UGA will be better right away after kicking Richt to the curb is wearing some rose tinted glasses IMO.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me he seems to be playing with some physical issue that does not let him throw like he has in the past. He is a better QB than how he has played the last 6 or so games.
Yeah,,,sucky-QB-itis...