• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Matt Ryan is a failure and fraud

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol.

Go look at the 2008 draft and tell us again how Ryan was a bad choice.

Only Clady, taken 10th, even comes close to Ryan in the top 17 picks.

And then you have to go back and remember where the Falcons were as a franchise when Ryan took over (Mike Vick headed to jail). Ryan was an absolute savior for that team. He lead them to the playoffs in 4 of his first 5 years. No chance that happens with any other pick in the entire 2008 draft class other than Flacco.

The Falcons experienced a complete talent drain with some horrific GM work under Dimitroff. How he has kept his job really is amazing. Luckily he found a coach that can work with terrible defensive talent and make if functional.

You got it pretty close.

The QB that replaced Vick for a season...Joey Harrington...he sucked enough for them to land the 3rd overall pick.

Dimitroff...we mostly agree here...imo he wrecked a good team...not a talent drain as you put it, but he got caught up putting the cart before the horse making splash FA moves without really knowing if the player would work in the Falcons system. I'm not going to drag you thru the FA names that didn't work out, but I'll say this...only Michael Turner worked out.

He should be gone imo, but word is, after Mike Smith was fired, the only way he kept the title of GM was to relinquish control of the draft and FA...those duties have gone to Scott Pioli and Quinn has input, and final say on the roster...Thomas handles negotiations, cap, etc.

The part I kind of disagree is your last sentence...The results the last few years has been worse than the talent (largely why Smith was fired)...Quinn still doesn't have a true pass rusher, but the boys up front and boys on the backend were pretty good players...Soliai, Jackson, Babs...Alford, Trufant, and Moore...they would start for most any team fitting the scheme...what Quinn brought in were NFL LBs and that's made the biggest difference in run support.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me....Ryan remains overrated.

I agree, he his...please don't think I list him as a comeback rebuttal, but so his Romo...Tony may be a little more athletic, but they are the same guy imo. They're both always going to be near the top of the league passing, but they drop down a few notches in JAN.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, he his...please don't think I list him as a comeback rebuttal, but so his Romo...Tony may be a little more athletic, but they are the same guy imo. They're both always going to be near the top of the league passing, but they drop down a few notches in JAN.
Not really....Romo was judged on a drop playoff FG attempt way back when. Ryan hasn't faced half the crap Romo has faced. Homo Vs Matty Ice? It's not even close and yet, Romo remains the better player

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really....Romo was judged on a drop playoff FG attempt way back when. Ryan hasn't faced half the crap Romo has faced. Homo Vs Matty Ice? It's not even close and yet, Romo remains the better player

Of course I'll let that be your opinion, but the masses see these guys as being very much alike. Both are good, not great QBs imo.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course I'll let that be your opinion, but the masses see these guys as being very much alike. Both are good, not great QBs imo.
I agree....very few become great without a championship.
I just think Matty Ice hasn't been as good as Romo

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bust, fraud and failure are all a little strong, but he certainly is not elite. Or even Joe Flacco elite.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree....very few become great without a championship.
I just think Matty Ice hasn't been as good as Romo

I hear ya...granted, I've seen Matt play a lot more than Romo, but I think I've seen enough of Romo to give him a fair evaluation.

Tony has a couple more years under his belt as a starter than Ryan and that skews the stats in his favor, but from '08 to date, the stat lines are oh so close that I don't see one being markedly better than the other.

Matt has worked on his mobility obviously because we see him doing more roll outs, more bootlegs, etc....that said, I still give the nod to Romo in that area, and improvising....oh, and he's a better golfer, lol. So...I guess I'm agreeing with you, but you threw me with the "not even...". I think it's pretty close.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me....Ryan remains overrated.
Where do you see him rated at and how good do you think he is?

He gets very little publicity as far as I can tell. Most people have him as a 2nd tier guy Id imagine.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear ya...granted, I've seen Matt play a lot more than Romo, but I think I've seen enough of Romo to give him a fair evaluation.

Tony has a couple more years under his belt as a starter than Ryan and that skews the stats in his favor, but from '08 to date, the stat lines are oh so close that I don't see one being markedly better than the other.

Matt has worked on his mobility obviously because we see him doing more roll outs, more bootlegs, etc....that said, I still give the nod to Romo in that area, and improvising....oh, and he's a better golfer, lol. So...I guess I'm agreeing with you, but you threw me with the "not even...". I think it's pretty close.
IMO...Romo extends plays that bails Dallas out for more than not. Ryan is more a product of the offensive talent around him.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where do you see him rated at and how good do you think he is?

He gets very little publicity as far as I can tell. Most people have him as a 2nd tier guy Id imagine.
I have Romo high second tier and Ryan lower second tier

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO...Romo extends plays that bails Dallas out for more than not. Ryan is more a product of the offensive talent around him.

That's the difference. He's a better athlete.

If I had to draw a comparison as in style of play (not talent) for both guys...Romo has a little bit of Ben in him, and Ryan's is more like Manning/Brady imo.

Oldschool739

It's my Country, Flag, Bible, Gun. Don't try it !
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really? A little more athletic, but Ryan's book of work is so much stronger...idk what the hell has happen to him this yr.

I won't contribute this to his problems of late, because he didn't start out the yr this bad, but I think 5 OCs in 7 seasons is a lot to comprehend and be effective.

It's 8 yrs now, he came in the same yr as Joe....And Joe has had 4 OC's but has had a ton of success, without the elite tier wr's Matt has had and the best TE in the modern era....
That definitely has an effect, but that guy has all the talent and tools to be great and continues to come up short.
I'm baffled by it, myself...