• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Matt Barkley

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well...

I get the feeling that in 24 hours we'll realize how silly we were for ever believing Barkley was any good.

Hope I am wrong. Still think he could easily wind up being trash.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well...

I get the feeling that in 24 hours we'll realize how silly we were for ever believing Barkley was any good.

I don't think anyone is "all-in".

He performs well tomorrow and that will change a bit IMO.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well...

No doubt Barkley could end up where he started in my mind. But there is a chance he ends up where he was always expected to end up. Elite. Either way he has made these next 4 games mean something. And mathematically were due to trip and fall on top of a real QB.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt Barkley could end up where he started in my mind. But there is a chance he ends up where he was always expected to end up. Elite. Either way he has made these next 4 games mean something. And mathematically were due to trip and fall on top of a real QB.

USC is pretty well known for producing QB's who SEEM elite, and that end up shit in the NFL. Even their golden boy (Carson Palmer) has been terribly inconsistent, and never quite got to elite.

I am rooting for the kid tho, like none other. I would absolutely love to see them be the ultimate spoiler here to finish the season. I would give up draft status in a heartbeat for it.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
USC is pretty well known for producing QB's who SEEM elite, and that end up shit in the NFL. Even their golden boy (Carson Palmer) has been terribly inconsistent, and never quite got to elite.

I am rooting for the kid tho, like none other. I would absolutely love to see them be the ultimate spoiler here to finish the season. I would give up draft status in a heartbeat for it.

Definitely. I'd trade down in the draft to see Barkley go on a run here, without a doubt.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Barkley looks pretty good to me so far, and we still have yet to see him throwing to NFL caliber starting receivers, but I still am skeptical of him holding down the starting job. I still want to take a QB in the next draft. Barkley does make me feel very good about heading into next year without bringing in a vet QB though.

This year, I wasn't too excited over anyone on the roster, rookies excluded. However, next year Matt Barkley, Jordan Howard, Leonard Floyd, kwitkowski (sp?), and hopefully a healthy online with added pieces have me a little excited with a year of growth. Heck, the defense as a unit has been a little impressive. I hope Fangio stays. I doubt we contend next year, but I think we could have an interesting year.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Barkley looks pretty good to me so far, and we still have yet to see him throwing to NFL caliber starting receivers, but I still am skeptical of him holding down the starting job. I still want to take a QB in the next draft. Barkley does make me feel very good about heading into next year without bringing in a vet QB though.

This year, I wasn't too excited over anyone on the roster, rookies excluded. However, next year Matt Barkley, Jordan Howard, Leonard Floyd, kwitkowski (sp?), and hopefully a healthy online with added pieces have me a little excited with a year of growth. Heck, the defense as a unit has been a little impressive. I hope Fangio stays. I doubt we contend next year, but I think we could have an interesting year.

We have the defense to contend, as long as Fangio sticks around. It really comes down to health and QB play on the offensive side of the ball. It's a make or break year for Fox, and a big one for Pace too. We're going to be all systems go towards trying to make a playoff run.

I think people are far too excited about Barkley. He's made some good throws, but he's done nothing to turn any heads. He plays within the offense, gets rid of the ball quickly and manages the game. His ball sails from time-to-time, he lacks in arm strength and is damn lucky he wasn't picked on a couple different occasions yesterday.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have the defense to contend, as long as Fangio sticks around. It really comes down to health and QB play on the offensive side of the ball. It's a make or break year for Fox, and a big one for Pace too. We're going to be all systems go towards trying to make a playoff run.

I think people are far too excited about Barkley. He's made some good throws, but he's done nothing to turn any heads. He plays within the offense, gets rid of the ball quickly and manages the game. His ball sails from time-to-time, he lacks in arm strength and is damn lucky he wasn't picked on a couple different occasions yesterday.
Another thing to take note of is these games are meaningless. Jay Cutler looked great in meaningless games. We won't see Barkley in any big games until next year maybe. I also think we need another year of growth before we become a playoff team. It could happen, but I'm not banking on it just yet.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another thing to take note of is these games are meaningless. Jay Cutler looked great in meaningless games. We won't see Barkley in any big games until next year maybe. I also think we need another year of growth before we become a playoff team. It could happen, but I'm not banking on it just yet.

We don't have another year to grow. Next year is this staff's last chance, or else it's rebuild time all over again.

Like I said, the D is ready to contend now and another off-season should only help that. Can the offense be serviceable? That's the question. I think if our offense can somehow finish above the league average next year, we can be a playoff team. Would I bet on it? No, but it can certainly happen.

People really overestimate the difference between say... a 5 win team and a 10 win team in the NFL. Look at the Lions this year. All of those close games they've played, they have landed on the right side. With us, we've landed on the wrong side every single time. A few tweaks, some better breaks with health and a bounce or two over the course of a season. That's really all the difference in the world in the NFL.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We don't have another year to grow. Next year is this staff's last chance, or else it's rebuild time all over again.

Like I said, the D is ready to contend now and another off-season should only help that. Can the offense be serviceable? That's the question. I think if our offense can somehow finish above the league average next year, we can be a playoff team. Would I bet on it? No, but it can certainly happen.

People really overestimate the difference between say... a 5 win team and a 10 win team in the NFL. Look at the Lions this year. All of those close games they've played, they have landed on the right side. With us, we've landed on the wrong side every single time. A few tweaks, some better breaks with health and a bounce or two over the course of a season. That's really all the difference in the world in the NFL.
I think you underestimate it. The Lions aren't your typical 10 win team. They aren't that good, they have mostly just lucked into where they are at. Realistically, they will probably be one and done in the playoffs again. However, there is a huge difference between a 5 win team like us and a 10 win team like Seattle or Pittsburgh. Those teams are perennial 10 win teams because they have the ability to dominate both sides of the ball. The Lions just had a lucky year, but are closer to a perennial 5 win team to me. We are also a 5 win team, if that. Perennial 10 win teams have the ability to dominate on both sides of the ball. We can really only do that on defense, but I wouldn't call our defense dominant yet. The offense shows signs, but it is very average.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you underestimate it. The Lions aren't your typical 10 win team. They aren't that good, they have mostly just lucked into where they are at. Realistically, they will probably be one and done in the playoffs again. However, there is a huge difference between a 5 win team like us and a 10 win team like Seattle or Pittsburgh. Those teams are perennial 10 win teams because they have the ability to dominate both sides of the ball. The Lions just had a lucky year, but are closer to a perennial 5 win team to me. We are also a 5 win team, if that. Perennial 10 win teams have the ability to dominate on both sides of the ball. We can really only do that on defense, but I wouldn't call our defense dominant yet. The offense shows signs, but it is very average.

There is teams like Detroit every single year man. Look at Miami. Look at Tennessee... etc... Then, look at a team like Carolina. Can't catch a fuckin break and has lost 4-5 games that were bonafide gut wrenching.

Every year there's a big handful of teams where their season could have gone one way or another, with just a couple of bounces. Yeah, there are the perennial contenders, but there's also the teams that over perform or come out of nowhere.

Remember 2010? What? Did we play 4 3rd string QB's? Then a 7 win team in the Divisional Round of the playoffs?

The NFL is so much more wide open than the average person thinks. It's a few bounces here, and a few bounces there. That's it. Those games vs IND, JAX, TEN and this past week vs DET. If we get just ONE bounce our way in those games. We are sitting here at 7-6 and talking about a big upcoming game vs GB. That's what the NFL is.

The difference between the top teams and the bottom dwellers is much less than you would think. Which is why nearly every week, we're surprised by multiple underdogs who found ways to win. If the NFL was like you say, it'd be easy to bet on. Trust me... it ain't.

The Lions just had a lucky year, but are closer to a perennial 5 win team to me.

Exactly... and look at em. That's how far a few bounces and staying healthy can get you.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is teams like Detroit every single year man. Look at Miami. Look at Tennessee... etc... Then, look at a team like Carolina. Can't catch a fuckin break and has lost 4-5 games that were bonafide gut wrenching.

Every year there's a big handful of teams where their season could have gone one way or another, with just a couple of bounces. Yeah, there are the perennial contenders, but there's also the teams that over perform or come out of nowhere.

Remember 2010? What? Did we play 4 3rd string QB's? Then a 7 win team in the Divisional Round of the playoffs?

The NFL is so much more wide open than the average person thinks. It's a few bounces here, and a few bounces there. That's it. Those games vs IND, JAX, TEN and this past week vs DET. If we get just ONE bounce our way in those games. We are sitting here at 7-6 and talking about a big upcoming game vs GB. That's what the NFL is.

The difference between the top teams and the bottom dwellers is much less than you would think. Which is why nearly every week, we're surprised by multiple underdogs who found ways to win. If the NFL was like you say, it'd be easy to bet on. Trust me... it ain't.
Ok, well I guess what you're saying is you'd rather be a fluke 10 win team than a perennial one? It's a big difference between contenders and us. There isn't a big difference between the pretenders and us.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, well I guess what you're saying is you'd rather be a fluke 10 win team than a perennial one?

What? Are you fucking high? Holy shit. Is that supposed to be some kind of smart ass remark? That is not even in the realm of what I said. I guess you're just out of things to say.

My point, is that a few bounces and staying healthy can EASILY make the difference between 5 wins in a season. Even a team like Pittsburgh. They haven't been dominant. Their defense has plenty of flaws, and we've seen them miss the playoffs multiple times with Ben and Tomlin. 2012 and 2013 was bad for that team. Everyone was panicking, and many called for Tomlin's head.

Poor health and bad luck can squander a season for a talented team like Carolina, and the opposite can make a season for teams like Miami or Detroit.

You're never as good as you think you are in the NFL, and you are never as bad either. These are all pros capable of competing, and can beat each other any time they take the field.

"Would you RATHER be flukey?"... ha... What a **** remark. Not to mention, nonsensical. What else should I expect from a guy who has been rooting against his own team since week 1? For fuck's sake.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What? Are you fucking high? Holy shit. Is that supposed to be some kind of smart ass remark? That is not even in the realm of what I said. I guess you're just out of things to say.

My point, is that a few bounces and staying healthy can EASILY make the difference between 5 wins in a season. Even a team like Pittsburgh. They haven't been dominant. Their defense has plenty of flaws, and we've seen them miss the playoffs multiple times with Ben and Tomlin. 2012 and 2013 was bad for that team. Everyone was panicking, and many called for Tomlin's head.

Poor health and bad luck can squander a season for a talented team like Carolina, and the opposite can make a season for teams like Miami or Detroit.

You're never as good as you think you are in the NFL, and you are never as bad either. These are all pros capable of competing, and can beat each other any time they take the field.

"Would you RATHER be flukey?"... ha... What a **** remark. Not to mention, nonsensical. What else should I expect from a guy who has been rooting against his own team since week 1? For fuck's sake.
I agree, for teams that are pretenders, but the contenders are always gonna be near or above 10 wins.

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Richig07, I'm not attempting to be antagonistic here, but I hope you are watching Cousins tonight. Actually Barkley reminds me a lot of Cousins a year and a half ago... The conversation occurring here was almost the exact conversation that played out around D.C. about Cousins... It is why he still hasn't got a contract. He passes the eye test, but makes some bad mistakes, so they waited.... Now, it's gonna cost the Skins a ton.

Cousins is showing he isn't over the occasional gaffes as we speak, but... My point is more that maybe we.should commit to Barkley on a 2-3 year deal at about $8-10 million per year with maybe $15 million of it guaranteed rather than waiting for the price to get ridiculous. Thoughts?

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Richig07, I'm not attempting to be antagonistic here, but I hope you are watching Cousins tonight. Actually Barkley reminds me a lot of Cousins a year and a half ago... The conversation occurring here was almost the exact conversation that played out around D.C. about Cousins... It is why he still hasn't got a contract. He passes the eye test, but makes some bad mistakes, so they waited.... Now, it's gonna cost the Skins a ton.

Cousins is showing he isn't over the occasional gaffes as we speak, but... My point is more that maybe we.should commit to Barkley on a 2-3 year deal at about $8-10 million per year with maybe $15 million of it guaranteed rather than waiting for the price to get ridiculous. Thoughts?

I`m off the cousins bandwagon for now............Barkley has two more games to try and impress me before I say sign him up for next season............And lets not forget about Hoyer,I thought he was doing ok before the injury.

I would not mind having them both next season if we decide not to draft a qb high........But I believe its gonna come down to how well MB plays before the FO makes their decision.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I`m off the cousins bandwagon for now............Barkley has two more games to try and impress me before I say sign him up for next season............And lets not forget about Hoyer,I thought he was doing ok before the injury.

I would not mind having them both next season if we decide not to draft a qb high........But I believe its gonna come down to how well MB plays before the FO makes their decision.

Barkley>>>Hoyer IMO. Hoyer couldn't score with the starters.

Unless Cousins completely shits the bed, Washington will sign him or tag him again. They've already stated as much. Granted, things can change, but it's not like they have another option lined up.

I know I sound like a broken record, but I fail to see a scenario that beats out Matt Barkley for the starting job next year. Cutler is gone. Hoyer is an aging backup. The list of FA QB's is shit, and even if we draft a QB high, Matt would have to completely shit the bed in camp and preseason, and the aforementioned Rookie would have to look like Tom freaking Brady, to warrant starting him over Barkley.

The kid has earned the job IMO, and the Bears would be retarded not to sign him. He'd come at a cheap-ass price and he can play. I would love to hear a better option, but I don't see it.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Barkley>>>Hoyer IMO. Hoyer couldn't score with the starters.

Unless Cousins completely shits the bed, Washington will sign him or tag him again. They've already stated as much. Granted, things can change, but it's not like they have another option lined up.

I know I sound like a broken record, but I fail to see a scenario that beats out Matt Barkley for the starting job next year. Cutler is gone. Hoyer is an aging backup. The list of FA QB's is shit, and even if we draft a QB high, Matt would have to completely shit the bed in camp and preseason, and the aforementioned Rookie would have to look like Tom freaking Brady, to warrant starting him over Barkley.

The kid has earned the job IMO, and the Bears would be retarded not to sign him. He'd come at a cheap-ass price and he can play. I would love to hear a better option, but I don't see it.

Sentiments exactly.........

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lotta rumors about Romo.

Ima be pissed if they bring him in. NO RETREADS.