• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Maryland @ SU, 20 Sep @ 12:30

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll be at the game and won't be posting on gameday. So thought I would start a thread now to get some conversation started.

Some facts to get er goin......

First Meeting: In 1920, the series kicked off with a 10-7 Maryland victory in Archbold Stadium.

Last Meeting: Last year, the Orange offense opened the game against Maryland with a 16-play drive, spanning nearly eight minutes. On Jerome Smith's eighth carry of the drive – his second on 4th down – he ran for a one yard touchdown and SU didn't look back, cruising to a 20 – 3 victory in College Park.

Head Coaches: SU: Scott Shafer (2nd Year, 9-6), Maryland: Randy Edsall (4th Year, 15-25).

Curious Connections: Randy Edsall played quarterback for Syracuse and spent eleven seasons as an assistant with the program. Edsall's wife, Eileen, also graduated from SU and was honored as a 2013 Letterwinner of Distinction last week. Other coach-related connections include Maryland DC Brian Stewart, who coached Syracuse's DBs in 2001.

Last Year: In their final ACC season, the Terps finished 7–6 (3–5 in conference play) in fifth place in the Atlantic Division. They were invited to the Military Bowl where they lost 30-21 to Marshall.
The Orange were led by first year head coach Scott Shafer. The 2013 season marked their first as members of the ACC. They finished the season 7–6 (4–4 in conference play) to finish in a tie for third place in the Atlantic Division. They were invited to the Texas Bowl where they defeated Minnesota.

Fear MD: Stefon Diggs is fourth in the NCAA in kick return average (33.4). Diggs also leads the Terps in receiving with 230 yards and a TD. William Likely is third nationally in punt return average (27.5) and brought one back 69 yards for a TD versus West Virginia.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should be a close game I would think. I would lean towards Syracuse pulling it out because they are at home. Maryland struggled mightily in their other road game against South Florida. I'll be honest I know nothing about Syracuse but I'll be watching Saturday to see how they look with the Irish up the following week.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should be a close game I would think. I would lean towards Syracuse pulling it out because they are at home. Maryland struggled mightily in their other road game against South Florida. I'll be honest I know nothing about Syracuse but I'll be watching Saturday to see how they look with the Irish up the following week.

I can't blame you there.

Like you, I expect this Saturday's game to be close. I think SU is a better team, but Maryland has a one/two punch on offense in Diggs and Brown. Those two can break one every play. Edsell will get the ball in their hands so SU will have to make sure and wrapp them up. Arm tackles will not work.

I don't expect a game in the upper 30's like Maryland had last weekend against WV. SU isn't a big play team. Though they run the spread option, they usually take all three downs to get a 1st with the majority of the play calling being run options or bubble screens which keeps the clock running. SU has a decent platoon of RB's but the SU QB (Hunt) is basically a full back listed at 6-3/220 pounds....I think he's a touch heavier and usually leads the backfield in run yardage. He's hard to bring down and handles the run option pretty good but isn't a great downfield passer.

SU: 27
MD: 24

Runeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,650.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Playing in the dome is worth 7 points. I don't see Maryland stopping the Syracuse running game...a bunch of big backs along with a very large running quarterback, if we can keep him from punching opposing players...LOL. I like Syracuse by 10. Close the 1st half and the 2nd half will see Syracuse controlling the game.

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll be at the Duke game jonvi, but I just have to make sure you know that Syracuse carries the ACC banner against the B1G black sheep bastards from Maryland. I picked SU to win this game. It's up to you to get shit faced and scream like Brock Lesner to ensure an Orange victory.:suds:

Brock.jpg

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Playing in the dome is worth 7 points. I don't see Maryland stopping the Syracuse running game...a bunch of big backs along with a very large running quarterback, if we can keep him from punching opposing players...LOL. I like Syracuse by 10. Close the 1st half and the 2nd half will see Syracuse controlling the game.

Are you gonna be at the game also Runeman?

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I like what you have to say here. I'm still a little jerky after witnessing Nova beating up my boys in the Dome. Add in Maryland gave WV all they wanted...Maryland seems better than I gave them credit for at the beginning of the season.

All that whining aside, Hunt is a handfull and agree the SU backfield wins the day with just enough out of the SU receiving corp to keep the Maryland D honest.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll be at the Duke game jonvi,

No Way!!!! You're coming to the Dome? You and I have to get together. Are you flying or driving?

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you gonna be at the game also Runeman?

He lives in Florida so it's hit or miss if he's going to be here then. Runeman and I are going to the PSU/tOSU in Penn State 25 Oct. I'm not sure if he'll be in the area by the time the Duke game comes around.

Runeman....The game is November 8....are you still in PA then?

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No Way!!!! You're coming to the Dome? You and I have to get together. Are you flying or driving?

I don't know yet about the SU game in NY. I'll be at the Tulane/Duke game this Saturday. If I can make it I'll sure look you guys up. I'd bet there would be drinking involved.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll be at the Duke game jonvi, but I just have to make sure you know that Syracuse carries the ACC banner against the B1G black sheep bastards from Maryland. I picked SU to win this game. It's up to you to get shit faced and scream like Brock Lesner to ensure an Orange victory.:suds:

Brock.jpg

Oh....that's me at every game.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know yet about the SU game in NY. I'll be at the Tulane/Duke game this Saturday. If I can make it I'll sure look you guys up. I'd bet there would be drinking involved.

I gotcha now. I was getting excited about getting to meet the douggie. :nod:

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I gotcha now. I was getting excited about getting to meet the douggie. :nod:

We do need to meet up at a game though. The SU game is still a possibility. But my away games these days are very limited due to my work schedule.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We do need to meet up at a game though. The SU game is still a possibility. But my away games these days are very limited due to my work schedule.

I understand my man. Work is what funds our fun.

I have two season tickets. You can have one if you make it to the game. They are pretty decent seats....row f (6 rows off the field) on the 10 yard line on the SU side of the field.

If you're bringing family or friends, there really isn't a bad seat in the Dome for football games. I've been in the 300 sections and even those offer a great view of the field and are usually pretty cheap.

olympicoscar

Life is what you've made of it.
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going with Maryland by about 3 points. This should be close and low scoring all the way.

Runeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,650.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He lives in Florida so it's hit or miss if he's going to be here then. Runeman and I are going to the PSU/tOSU in Penn State 25 Oct. I'm not sure if he'll be in the area by the time the Duke game comes around.

Runeman....The game is November 8....are you still in PA then?

I leave Pennsylvania on the 28th of Oct and won't be back until the 1st of Dec. Really wanted to see the FSU game in the Dome, however looks like I miss that one as well. Sucks being me.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^Ok big man. Next time.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where are the Maryland fans?

From the Syracuse Post Standard...

Best player

WR Stefon Diggs

Hyped from the day he arrived on campus, Diggs has proven to be a special player when he's healthy. He missed the final six games last season (including the Terrapins' loss to Syracuse) with a broken leg, but has produced a promising start to his junior year.

Diggs had 127 yards and a touchdown against West Virginia on Saturday, and has 17 catches for 230 yards and a score this season. He's also a threat as Maryland's primary kickoff returner.

Other top players

QB C.J. Brown: The sixth-year senior (technically graduate student) missed nearly all of 2010 and the entirety of the 2012 season with injuries. A threat to take off at any time, Brown rushed for 161 yards against West Virginia — a yard shy of his school record for a quarterback.

LB L.A. Goree: Maryland's top tackler through two games, Goree missed last week's game with a back injury.

CB Will Likely: The well-regarded sophomore was forced into the lineup last year when injuries robbed the Terps of their top two corners. He's already made 14 starts and is coming off a day when he forced a fumble, picked off a pass and returned a punt for a touchdown.

WR Deon Long: Like Diggs, Long missed the final six games of last season with a broken leg, so this will be his first game against Syracuse. On the season, the senior has 10 catches for 129 yards and a touchdown.

BEST UNIT

Special teams
In its first three games, Maryland has a blocked punt returned for a touchdown to go with Likely's punt return for a touchdown. Kicker Brad Craddock has made his first five field goals after going 21-for-25 last season, and Diggs is a force on kickoff returns. The most glaring weakness is the punting game; junior Nathan Renfro can be inconsistent, and West Virginia blocked a punt for a safety last week.

WHAT MARYLAND DOES

Run the read option

While Diggs and Long are the field-extending threats in the Maryland offense, the Terps are much more effective when Brown provides a dangerous element in the rushing game. He isn't the most accurate passer, but his ability to run makes him much more dangerous in this offense than he would be as a pocket passer.

Maryland will probably try to get the other elements of its rushing attack going against Syracuse. Tailbacks Brandon Ross and Albert Reid combined for 4 yards on seven carries against West Virginia.

MATCHUP TO WATCH

Maryland WRs Stefon Diggs and Deon Long vs. Syracuse's secondary

If Diggs, the Terps' leader in receiving yards in each of their first three games, and Long can get free and create chunk plays, it will make Maryland vastly more difficult to contend with than a year ago when it lost 20-3 to the Orange. If the Orange's defensive backs can keep that tandem in check, the Terps will struggle mightily to move the ball against Syracuse for the second consecutive year.

TELLING STATS

Career 100-yard rushing games for Maryland quarterback C.J. Brown, tied for fourth in school history with former New York Giant Da'Rel Scott.

Yards allowed by Maryland in its 40-37 loss to West Virginia on Saturday, believed to be the most surrendered by the Terrapins since giving up an ACC-record 858 yards to Florida State in 1992. West Virginia ran 108 plays in its triumph.

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand my man. Work is what funds our fun.

I have two season tickets. You can have one if you make it to the game. They are pretty decent seats....row f (6 rows off the field) on the 10 yard line on the SU side of the field.

If you're bringing family or friends, there really isn't a bad seat in the Dome for football games. I've been in the 300 sections and even those offer a great view of the field and are usually pretty cheap.

Awesome jonvi!!! If I can square the time away I will come up just to see you. I have four in Durham if you wanna come down for a game.