• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Marvin Robinson and Mike Jones left the team

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a goal oriented person, I would likely struggle in that department as well.

The comparison of the Army to college football is not exactly apples to apples. Was RR hired to win games or exemplify Michigan culture? Obviously he failed at winning games but I don't see where he ran afoul of some unwritten code.

If the Army Rangers were on a mission, would the brass give them some leeway to achieve their goal? And if the rules were stretched, would the repercussions be the same whether the mission was successful or not?

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a goal oriented person, I would likely struggle in that department as well.

The comparison of the Army to college football is not exactly apples to apples. Was RR hired to win games or exemplify Michigan culture? Obviously he failed at winning games but I don't see where he ran afoul of some unwritten code.

If the Army Rangers were on a mission, would the brass give them some leeway to achieve their goal? And if the rules were stretched, would the repercussions be the same whether the mission was successful or not?

There is no leeway in the military.....You do the job or fail. There are standards.

You fail to do the job someone dies, or you die, or you get court marshaled.

Every young man or woman in the military has a contract and each is different.

Everyone knows what they sign up for.

nonbcsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
unfortunately for RR, he didn't embrace Michigan traditions or win games... but he did his best to deflect the blame.

Chief602

Resident Wookie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but he did his best to deflect the blame

And that is why he didn't get a couple more years, had he shouldered the responsibility and said the defensive woes were on him trying to equip he offense and neglected the D for a couple years he may have gotten a little more time to succeed. All in all, tickled he is gone and we have Hoke!!!!

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
unfortunately for RR, he didn't embrace Michigan traditions or win games... but he did his best to deflect the blame.
no disputing the fact that he didn't win games, especially those first two years in the B1G.
As for embracing Michigan traditions, I have no idea what that means other than winning. Did Martin hire a spread coach to try and turn him into Bo, because that seems to be synonymous with Michigan tradition.
I still believe that RR could have been successful in AA but he was fighting "traditions" and the mess he inherited from Carr.
The program was in shambles when Carr left (App St.) and whatever coach succeeded him was doomed. No doubt that RR's attitude contributed but the blame can't be put solely on him. I have met the man on several occasions and liked him. He doesn't have the presence of a coach like Bo but their dispositions are remarkably similar.

Chief

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm watching the 1997 Michigan Football show I dvr'd. Glen Steele says one of the first things he was told was: "First is that you represent this fine University. Second you represent this great Program. Third you represent the name on your back. Any mark on any of those is unacceptable."

Jalopy, I really can't make it any clearer then Steele did.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry Chief, but you will need to. I can name multiple instances where RR's employers failed in each named category. None, save Martin, lost their job and were subjected to the public undressing that RR was.

Chief

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry Chief, but you will need to. I can name multiple instances where RR's employers failed in each named category. None, save Martin, lost their job and were subjected to the public undressing that RR was.

Now you're mixing actions with consequences. While Martin may have given us all a WTH are you doing vibe at the end, I don't think any of us (outside Desmond) felt like he was alienating/insulting us. His actions also didn't bring discredit upon the school or program outside of pissing off some fans/alumni.

RR didn't do a single thing, imho to endear himself to the school, players (past/present) or fans. Not only that, but NCAA violations. I cannot recall one time where he took ownership for anything. It was always someone else's fault. Let's not even talk about his "get a life" comments regarding The Game.

I was never for the RR hire to begin with. I never really saw anything he did to change that. I'll tell you what, had he taken responsibility... Not only that, but his losses (and there were a lot) were horrific. I don't care if I like the coach or not, as long as we are winning (or at least being competitive in our losses).

It really doesn't matter how anyone explains it to you, I just don't see you accepting it at all.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
J

RR picked the fight when he decided to install new philosophies and traditions. Right wrong or indifferent football at UofM, OSU, Notre Dame, Texas, Oklahoma, Alabama, and a handful of other schools is about tradition and the name brand. You don't just roll in to Auburn and announce no more War Eagle yells! Or tell the OSU band to not dot the I.

RR was an ousider at a school steeped in tradition and before you make drastic changes you should be winning or taking baby steps.

I do agree the state of Michigan football was about as fractured as could be when Lloyd left. My understanding is Lloyd wanted Hoke right then but they (AD and Prez) could not justify a jump that big and Lloyd resented Les Miles politicking for the job.

But RR never worked at a school where compared to a hall of fame coach like Bear Bryant, Woody, or Bo! UofM was not WVU and he was ill prepared to handle the sideshows that come with a top program. He would have been treated the same way at OSU as he was at UofM. Except he would have been hit with a beer bottle for the you lift me up song!

nonbcsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As for embracing Michigan traditions, I have no idea what that means other than winning.

giving the #2 jersey to a RB and trying to give the #1 jersey to a CB is not one of Michigan's traditions... things of that nature...

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't even know there was significance behind the #2 jersey. As for the #1, it has become a recruiting prop. Pretty frivolous reasons to run a coach out of town.

nonbcsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that wasn't the reason he got run out of town, but it wasn't a good first impression, and neither was dismissing the OSU game as being just another game...

maize77blue

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who cares about RRod? I sure don't!! He was the biggest mistake we made in the last 10 years!! Martin was in a big hurry to get a head coach that we took the first big name,who wanted the job? If we play in the big east or the pac 12 it would of been OK. But his style isn't made for a physical conference!!!
I was still behind him just because he coached Michigan. That's what we did wrong, we didn't get behind him. But his losing games was on his own. And he deserved to get fired. And especially after the probation we got!!! Yes, he probably didn't know all the rules but he should of found out!!!
Just let's start another streak for bowl games and winning seasons and we will be fine. That what really got me mad about RRod. He chased off all the good talent because he had to do it his way or no way. If he did what we did in the bowl game and played that style maybe Mallett would of stayed.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That what really got me mad about RRod. He chased off all the good talent because he had to do it his way or no way. If he did what we did in the bowl game and played that style maybe Mallett would of stayed.

This is classic! Do Michigan fans truly believe this? I can debate most anything (sometimes even coherently) but I have no rebuke for this. It reminds me when my five-year-old told me this weekend that I was wrong when I tried to help him with his math. I went to great pains to explain to him where he erred, but to no avail. He remained unconvinced. I feel the same helplessness trying to address comments like this.

nonbcsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lets just let RR go... I think he's landed at a good place in Arizona and will built a decent team over there... if he can get a decent defense, he'll make some noise because his offense will produce.

I accepted him when he was hired, and spent 3 years telling posters on CBS to give him enough time to field his team, but the disastrous loss to Miss St at Gator Bowl was the final straw for me... now I rather concentrate on the good players that he signed that haven't left yet, players like Gallon, Lewan, Schofield, Gardner, Ryan, and Washington.