• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Marvin on Challenges

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
"I wasn't worried about that. You don't often see where the challenges come into play. The only thing it really would have cost us, which it didn't matter, was the timeouts before halftime. I think both times they had momentum in the game and we ended up picking up the first down. So, it wasn't a big deal. Whether you pick it up or challenge it all depends on momentum, and that is why I took the opportunity to go ahead and do it." Bengals coach Marvin Lewis on whether he was concerned about using all of his replay challenges with 4 1/2 minutes left to play in the first half.

Can someone translate that for me?

Thanks a bunch.

vancelot23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Not a clue. I don't speak doofus. Weyburn could help you.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm shocked he didn't respond with his normal "I'm not going to tell you!!!!!"

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I speak retard.

He was basically using the challenge flag to disrupt the positive vibe that Houston was riding on, this sometimes has a desirable effect in basketball when I time-out is called and seems to ice the hot streak the other team is on. Another similarity would be the nauseating calling a time out to ice a kicker trying to kick a high pressure field goal.

Marvin's assumption of the ability of a time out to challenge is a bit erroneous, but I guess it's more admirable than faking an injury in order to ice the other teams "momentum"

It's just not based on any rational thought process, and indicative of a man who's sort of given up hopes of being truly successful at this job.

daytonbenglfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Shocking that Marvin doesn't own up to mistakes. Do you really think he believes that it was unimportant to be left with no second half challenges in a playoff game?

cincyreds45212

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I had no problem with te first challenge, they spotted the ball short and screwed us on the challenge, he easily had the first down

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had no problem with te first challenge, they spotted the ball short and screwed us on the challenge, he easily had the first down

Huh? His left elbow was down and the ball in his right arm was a good half yard away from the first down. I didn't think it was even close.

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Not only was he short, but who the hell challenges half a yard on 2nd down?!? Call a halfway decent play on 3rd down and you'll get your first down regardless. I don't think I've ever seen anything like that in my life. Embarrassing.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not only was he short, but who the hell challenges half a yard on 2nd down?!? Call a halfway decent play on 3rd down and you'll get your first down regardless. I don't think I've ever seen anything like that in my life. Embarrassing.

That's what I thought as well..... You could tell that Marvin was scared that he couldn't pick up a half of a yard. Given our previous performances in short yardage, I suppose he had reason to be worried. But there aren't many coaches (any?) that would risk a challenge when they can easily sneak it for a first down.

It's funny though.... He had the same issues in the playoff game against the Jets. He overcoached and was scared to let his team play.

bengaldoug

former pessimistic homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Suffice it to say Marvin finds challenges very "challenging"......