• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Marquise Williams

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also guys,

I apologize for leading you astray on this one. Although I don't think it is over I had it on very good authority That it was a done done deal and I was dead wrong. Recruiting is as fickle as a jaded woman and twice as unpredictable.

My bad boys.

bigesse16

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
No worries. Alot of people were under that same impression. TSL is on full meltdown mode because of it. I hear we're making another in home visit to clarify what's going on, so I guess we'll have to wait and see.

This just makes me cautiously optimistic again. It's kinda like the Kiaro Holts deal in the summer, when we thought it was between us and UF, then UNC came out of nowhere. I just don't know how to feel about Hughes and Anthony. We look like we're in good position, but Hughes may be swayed by playing with his brother or the used carsalesman Butchie may spin it like he's done with MW. With Anthony, I'm intrigued to see his reaction to the Muschamp hiring.

Also, is the Pitt situation refering to this year's recruiting or for the future? I don't see a whole lot of recruits we were looking for, and those we were, I'm not sure how hard we were recruiting them.

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, they are high school kids for one thing. Very impressionable and change their minds rather easily. While it would be a great get to have MW come to VT, we do seem pretty solid at QB for the next few years. I would like to see some more OL recruiting, not just TEs we bulk up.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No worries. Alot of people were under that same impression. TSL is on full meltdown mode because of it. I hear we're making another in home visit to clarify what's going on, so I guess we'll have to wait and see.

This just makes me cautiously optimistic again. It's kinda like the Kiaro Holts deal in the summer, when we thought it was between us and UF, then UNC came out of nowhere. I just don't know how to feel about Hughes and Anthony. We look like we're in good position, but Hughes may be swayed by playing with his brother or the used carsalesman Butchie may spin it like he's done with MW. With Anthony, I'm intrigued to see his reaction to the Muschamp hiring.

Also, is the Pitt situation refering to this year's recruiting or for the future? I don't see a whole lot of recruits we were looking for, and those we were, I'm not sure how hard we were recruiting them.

Here is one:

Kyshoen Jarrett - Yahoo! Sports

He is still committed to Pitt, I assume, but we were in his final 3 and he may still come for an official. I know he has only used 2 officials thus far and has 3 more.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, they are high school kids for one thing. Very impressionable and change their minds rather easily. While it would be a great get to have MW come to VT, we do seem pretty solid at QB for the next few years. I would like to see some more OL recruiting, not just TEs we bulk up.

I agree. We need to recruit blue chip O-Linemen and hope we get a few. I am not sure why we can't land the Massey, Turner, Moses, Holts kinda guys. But we have wiffed on a few. I don't think Painter was as good as the ratings said afew years ago. Hopefully L. Gibson and Shuman will be good ones. I wouldn't bet on much for Farris. I am afraid to say it is because they are not coached as well as maybe they could be and/or they werent that GREAT to begin with. Good enough to get the job done but our stable of RB's and TT make them look "not as bad" much of the time. Speaking of our guys on the trenches, what's up with Nick Acree?? Anyone know what his role will be going forward?? I thought he would be a 3 year starter initially. He is a beast. Maybe just a weightroom warrior??

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. We need to recruit blue chip O-Linemen and hope we get a few. I am not sure why we can't land the Massey, Turner, Moses, Holts kinda guys. But we have wiffed on a few. I don't think Painter was as good as the ratings said afew years ago. Hopefully L. Gibson and Shuman will be good ones. I wouldn't bet on much for Farris. I am afraid to say it is because they are not coached as well as maybe they could be and/or they werent that GREAT to begin with. Good enough to get the job done but our stable of RB's and TT make them look "not as bad" much of the time. Speaking of our guys on the trenches, what's up with Nick Acree?? Anyone know what his role will be going forward?? I thought he would be a 3 year starter initially. He is a beast. Maybe just a weightroom warrior??

Acree's learning curve is slow. Beamerball did a thing about the young guys a few weeks back and his name did not even come up. He is a freak but used his size to dominate in high school so learned bad technique. he amy still be a 3 year starter but only expect to see him on kick block teams next season. The Hopkins brothers are fantastic and I would bet on Harley actually getting into the line fold before Acree.

On the other hand, apparently Arkema is strong as an ox and incredibly mean and nasty (just what you want for an interior lineman). As for Farris, I liked that oick up a lot. He was a Hokie fanboy since childhood and would not even look at other D1 schools or send them film after Tech offered him, so his recruitment numbers were a bit skewed. He, literally, was a Hokie from day 1 so nobody even tried to pursue him, and when they did, he flat out would not listen.

Gibson looked good in the Spring and summer, and from all I have heard continues to impress. he will compete for the starting LT spot next year but may have trouble beating Becton out. Shuman is a Shuman and will be a good one. Also, don' sleep on Lil Wang. He has impressed a lot. I expect to see Shuman-Wang-Via-Arkema-Gibson along the front in 2012 with Farris taking Via's spot the year after.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Acree's learning curve is slow. Beamerball did a thing about the young guys a few weeks back and his name did not even come up. He is a freak but used his size to dominate in high school so learned bad technique. he amy still be a 3 year starter but only expect to see him on kick block teams next season. The Hopkins brothers are fantastic and I would bet on Harley actually getting into the line fold before Acree.

On the other hand, apparently Arkema is strong as an ox and incredibly mean and nasty (just what you want for an interior lineman). As for Farris, I liked that oick up a lot. He was a Hokie fanboy since childhood and would not even look at other D1 schools or send them film after Tech offered him, so his recruitment numbers were a bit skewed. He, literally, was a Hokie from day 1 so nobody even tried to pursue him, and when they did, he flat out would not listen.

Gibson looked good in the Spring and summer, and from all I have heard continues to impress. he will compete for the starting LT spot next year but may have trouble beating Becton out. Shuman is a Shuman and will be a good one. Also, don' sleep on Lil Wang. He has impressed a lot. I expect to see Shuman-Wang-Via-Arkema-Gibson along the front in 2012 with Farris taking Via's spot the year after.

Forgot about Wang. He will be a good one. I thought he was originally recruited for Dline but with the youth there, it would only make sense for him to play O-Line. Heard much on Andrew Miller. Isn't he a solid option at C for years to come. I am from the area and know some guys from Rockbridge Co. (where Farris is from). They said he was big, but actually VERY soft. A bit of a camp/combine/weightroom warrior but not really a great player, just used his size to manhandle people, and even then didn't always do it..

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
The miller kid is going to be real good for years to come at tech, i know some people that know him and they say he has that "mean streak" like was mentioned about arkema.
From what i've seen of farris, i think he's a developmental player. Hopefully he used his GSY to get stronger and gain some endurance. He seems to wear down at the end of games and i just read that before the GS he was only benching 300# he will have to get a stronger to play @VT. From watching his one on one's you would never think this though because he seemed pretty dominant, maybe like sparks said he's a camp warrior?

bigesse16

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Here is one:

Kyshoen Jarrett - Yahoo! Sports

He is still committed to Pitt, I assume, but we were in his final 3 and he may still come for an official. I know he has only used 2 officials thus far and has 3 more.

He's the one guy I was thinking of. Glad to see we're getting an official. I know Beamer always says that if we can get the kids on campus, we have a shot.

Should be interesting in the next month. We'll have officials from Anthony, Terrell, Jennings, and Jarrett.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's the one guy I was thinking of. Glad to see we're getting an official. I know Beamer always says that if we can get the kids on campus, we have a shot.

Should be interesting in the next month. We'll have officials from Anthony, Terrell, Jennings, and Jarrett.

Jennings is getting an home from Sherman AND FANCY GAP as well, I think tonight and there is no price you can put on having a living legend in your living room. Maybe he can convince Gray to tag along as well.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jennings is getting an home from Sherman AND FANCY GAP as well, I think tonight and there is no price you can put on having a living legend in your living room. Maybe he can convince Gray to tag along as well.

Didn't know they were still actively pursuing this guy. I need to just break down and subscribe to hokiehaven and/or VTInsider. I don't think VT has had a good winter/closing recruiting in a couple good years now. Wonder what a win in the Orange Bowl against a solid #4 Stanford team would do for the Hokies in January..

bigesse16

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Didn't know they were still actively pursuing this guy. I need to just break down and subscribe to hokiehaven and/or VTInsider. I don't think VT has had a good winter/closing recruiting in a couple good years now. Wonder what a win in the Orange Bowl against a solid #4 Stanford team would do for the Hokies in January..

In home visit is great and the fact that we have his last official is even better.

Also, more Marquise Williams drama courtesy of Mike Farrell from his twitter account:

"Our Tar Heel site spoke to Marquise Williams and he said he is committed to UNC for now and will make his final decision after Xmas"

Inside Carolina definitely put some spin on their article, suprise.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Back to MW: it aint over 'til its over and it aint over. Sounds like we all got our feathers ruffled by what was basically an off hand comment.

sidenote: this has been one of the most back and forth/he said she said recruitments i have ever seen. dramadramadrama

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The miller kid is going to be real good for years to come at tech, i know some people that know him and they say he has that "mean streak" like was mentioned about arkema.
From what i've seen of farris, i think he's a developmental player. Hopefully he used his GSY to get stronger and gain some endurance. He seems to wear down at the end of games and i just read that before the GS he was only benching 300# he will have to get a stronger to play @VT. From watching his one on one's you would never think this though because he seemed pretty dominant, maybe like sparks said he's a camp warrior?

Andrew Miller is from the high school I teach. He certainly does have a little mean streak and has the strength to back it up. State champion wrestler in high school and comes from a family of athletes. Had an older brother play football at Duke, a sister that played basketball at Wake, and has another brother that wrestles for VT.

He was originally penciled in as a backup center, but was playing a lot of guard this year. Should be able to play either position depending on what we need at the time.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Miller has played everywhere on the interior of the line and even done some scout team stuff at tackle. He is a true utility lineman and has a great work ethic and nastiness. I am not sure where he slots in, but I know he can play in any of those spots when needed.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
IMO miller will prob be the center next year since we lose warren.

I may be wrong but i think warren is the only OL in the 2 deep that we lose this year.:)

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michael Holmes makes it official. This is from DD of the Roanoke Times. Impressive stats. That is averaging 200 yards and almost 3TD per game including the playoffs. He was also a good defensive player.

"Harrisonburg High School football coach Tim Sarver said Monday that star running back Michael Holmes will sign a letter-of-intent with Virginia Tech.
Holmes committed to the Hokies last week but did not want to go public with his decision until the Blue Streaks finished their season Saturday.
Holmes, the state Group AA player of the year in 2009, rushed for more than 2,800 yards this year and scored 38 touchdowns. He also had offers from Virginia and James Madison."

vtpoop

Same poop, different day
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Andrew Miller is from the high school I teach. He certainly does have a little mean streak and has the strength to back it up. State champion wrestler in high school and comes from a family of athletes. Had an older brother play football at Duke, a sister that played basketball at Wake, and has another brother that wrestles for VT.

He was originally penciled in as a backup center, but was playing a lot of guard this year. Should be able to play either position depending on what we need at the time.

I agree. Miller was an absolute beast of a wrestler in high school, hands down the best I've ever seen. It doesn't always pan out in football, but typically wrestling helps linemen with their footwork, with leverage, and just in general adds that mean streak that is necessary.
BTW Cobrabit, my high school plays yours each year in football, so I'm very familiar with them. As a matter of fact, we played you guys twice this year — in the season opener and in the first round of the playoffs. I think not having Shaq Finney hurt you guys in the playoffs because he single-handedly beat us in the season opener. You guys were banged up in several places though at the end of the season.
The head coach there seems like a pretty decent guy too, at least from the times I've interviewed him.

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. Miller was an absolute beast of a wrestler in high school, hands down the best I've ever seen. It doesn't always pan out in football, but typically wrestling helps linemen with their footwork, with leverage, and just in general adds that mean streak that is necessary.
BTW Cobrabit, my high school plays yours each year in football, so I'm very familiar with them. As a matter of fact, we played you guys twice this year — in the season opener and in the first round of the playoffs. I think not having Shaq Finney hurt you guys in the playoffs because he single-handedly beat us in the season opener. You guys were banged up in several places though at the end of the season.
The head coach there seems like a pretty decent guy too, at least from the times I've interviewed him.

Hopefully his wrestling background will help out.

Having Shaq out for the playoff game really did hurt us. He WAS the gameplan against you guys and came down with the flu right before game time if I remember correctly.

Our coach is a very good guy that would do anything for you. He's been a little frustrated the last couple years with players that want all the accolades, but don't want to put any of the work in. Many of our players quit on the team once we got down in that game. Definitely made me feel sorry for some of the seniors that had put everything into their careers only to watch as their teammates wanted to feel sorry for themselves.