• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mark Dantonio only wants conference champs in play-offs...

The Authority

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 4 best teams get in and it should have nothing to do with conferences. I'm not interested in watching the winner of Ohio State and Michigan State play for the national championship. Both have lost to OCC teams which should have sealed the deal.

Why is losing OOC conference any different than losing in conference?

What if Missouri comes back and wins the SEC?

Do you send the team they beat in the CCG over them because they might be ranked higher?

Every other playoff structure works by way of conference winners going.

BucksFanInGA

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too much black and white analysis in this thread... There is a lot more gray area than a lot of fans seem to be willing to admit to...

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the 5 conference champs should get in along with 3 "wildcards"

8 team playoff is perfectly fine, hopefully they get to that point some day.

Runeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,650.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every time I see your name I start singing "Spoonman" from Sound Garden in my head... and I can't stop...

Sorry; not my fault the B1G has no contenders this year. These things go in cycles and when the day comes, and it will, the B1G has 2-3 teams ranked in the top 4 my opinion will remain unchanged. Why should a team worthy of playing for the title be ignored because they happen to have another team in their conference who is also worthy of playing for the title? You might consider being more mature in your responses.

Last edited by a moderator:

BucksFanInGA

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry; not my fault the B1G has no contenders this year. These things go in cycles and when the day comes, and it will, the B1G has 2-3 teams ranked in the top 4 my opinion will remain unchanged. Why should a team worthy of playing for the title be ignored because they happen to have another team in their conference who is also worthy of playing for the title? You might consider being more mature in your responses.

What are you on about? I like the song...

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If a P-5 + ND is undefeated they should be in. They've done all that is asked of them and there's nothing to point to that proves they couldn't continue to do so. No ifs, ands, or, buts. Undefeated conference champ and you're in.

If there are 4 undefeated conference champs then the committee's job is easy. They're all in. If there are all 5 + ND then use SOS to whittle down to 4. (Both of those scenarios are highly unlikely)

Of the remaining teams. Let the one or two loss teams battle it out with any potential undefeated mid-majors for any empty slots remaining.

The order of precedence for one or two loss teams will go to the conference champs.

i.e. A #2 in a conference takes an automatic back seat to the champion of the same conference. However they do not take a back seat to one or two loss champions of other conferences. In that scenario head-to-head and SOS is used.

Example:

Wisconsin runs the table and is Big 10 champs (12-1).
LSU (11-1) runs the table but misses out on it's CCG to another SEC West team that is undefeated. The SEC West team that represents in the CCG wins and are (13-0). As pointed out above, they are automatically in.

LSU gets in over Big 10 champ Wisconsin due to head-to-head.

Same scenario could apply to Oregon and Michigan St.

TigerBait1971

Roll Tide? What? FUCK YOU! lolz
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If a P-5 + ND is undefeated they should be in. They've done all that is asked of them and there's nothing to point to that proves they couldn't continue to do so. No ifs, ands, or, buts. Undefeated conference champ and you're in.

If there are 4 undefeated conference champs then the committee's job is easy. They're all in. If there are all 5 + ND then use SOS to whittle down to 4. (Both of those scenarios are highly unlikely)

Of the remaining teams. Let the one or two loss teams battle it out with any potential undefeated mid-majors for any empty slots remaining.

The order of precedence for one or two loss teams will go to the conference champs.

i.e. A #2 in a conference takes an automatic back seat to the champion of the same conference. However they do not take a back seat to one or two loss champions of other conferences. In that scenario head-to-head and SOS is used.

Example:

Wisconsin runs the table and is Big 10 champs (12-1).
LSU (11-1) runs the table but misses out on it's CCG to another SEC West team that is undefeated. The SEC West team that represents in the CCG wins and are (13-0). As pointed out above, they are automatically in.

LSU gets in over Big 10 champ Wisconsin due to head-to-head.

Same scenario could apply to Oregon and Michigan St.

H14Fqgg.gif

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Problem with your statement is we really don't know who the best 4 teams are, but we will know who the conference winners are. We THINK bama is good, but their claim to fame is beating West Virginia. What if the mountaineers lose 5 Big 12 games, do we drop bama from the rankings? Say they beat a&m, and we call that a good win, but a&m played 4 Texas high schools this year, is that really a good win? I'm not picking on the SEC, this could be any conference.

WVU beat Maryland with a FG with under 2:00 to play.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Does everybody in the Big 10 already have a loss?

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I thought LSU just lost to Mississippi State. Let me check again.

Yep. According to your worldwide leader in sports LSU indeed lost to Mississippi St.

If Mississippi St remains undefeated and wins their CCG (13-0) they are in the Play-off and LSU (11-1) would go into the pool of one or two loss teams.

Wisconsin (12-1) would be in that pool as a conference champ, but LSU would get in over them due to head-to-head.

Get it now?

TigerBait1971

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought LSU just lost to Mississippi State. Let me check again.

Yep. According to your worldwide leader in sports LSU indeed lost to Mississippi St.

If Mississippi St remains undefeated and wins their CCG (13-0) they are in the Play-off and LSU (11-1) would go into the pool of one or two loss teams.

Wisconsin (12-1) would be in that pool as a conference champ, but LSU would get in over them due to head-to-head.

Get it now?

oh I got it, but the 11-1 record for LSU is as likely as me sprouting fairy wings and flying off to never never land with my girlfriend, Emma Watson....

Oney

Hoopla Cash
$ 757.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every other sport everywhere utilizes and recognizes the conference champions as automatic. I don't know why people think college football should be different. Top 4 conference champs, done deal. Win and your in. By reverting back to an opinion poll, or committee's opinion, we lose sight of what the playoff is for in the first place.

What is the point of taking a non-conference champ if their conference champ has eliminated them, as in the example above with MSU and LSU? MSU already beat them.

Last edited by a moderator:

TigerBait1971

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every other sport everywhere utilizes and recognizes the conference champions as automatic. I don't know why people think college football should be different. Top 4 conference champs, done deal. Win and your in. By reverting back to an opinion poll, or committee's opinion, we lose sight of what the playoff is for in the first place.

What is the point of taking a non-conference champ if their conference champ has eliminated them, as in the example above with MSU and LSU? MSU already beat them.

NB4theRematch

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oh I got it, but the 11-1 record for LSU is as likely as me sprouting fairy wings and flying off to never never land with my girlfriend, Emma Watson....

502.gif

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

A 10-3 conference champ is in?

Even though that conference champ lost to a one loss runner up of another conference?

That is not a play-off. That is a do-over.

tometom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,219.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A 10-3 conference champ is in?

Even though that conference champ lost to a one loss runner up of another conference?

That is not a play-off. That is a do-over.
this here is the main thing. You guys keep talking about undefeated and 1 loss teams, but you need to think about teams winning championships with more losses.

Here's an example, it's purely hypothetical:
Oregon is 12-1 and PAC 12 champs
MSU is 12-1 and B1G champs
FSU is 13-0 and ACC champs
OK is 11-1 and the Big 12 champ
Then the SEC gets fucked up by having Florida (with losses to Bama, LSU, FSU) at 8-3 manages to win the SEC championship over say a 12-0 Auburn or Bama or Miss St team. Then there is also a 11-1 Auburn or Bama or Miss St team sitting there in SEC West. So your SEC choices are: Champ Florida at 9-3, Loser to Florida at 12-1 and other SEC West team at 11-1.

There's your worse case scenario. I'm realistic the B1G is down so you take an SEC team over MSU, but which one?

throw in some more oddities. say:
PAC12 beats up on each other and Stanford wins it at 11-2.
ND manages to beat FSU, so they are 12-0 and FSU is 12-1.
Big 12 also beats up each other and it's Baylor at 11-2 and considered champs.
MSU is still 12-1 and B1G champs.
SEC is even worse than above, FL wins it at 9-3, Bama loses the champ game and is 11-2, there is another SEC West team at 10-2.
Now what? Can you really ignore the SEC? ND gets in as undefeated, I think MSU as a conference champ gets in. (but does this change if it's Oregon instead of Stanford at 11-2). Is FSU out since they lost to ND or is that better record trump SEC and Big 12?

Man, this can sure be a cluster if the incorrect team wins their conferences championship game.

UNA Lion

Roar Lions & Roll Tide!
Hoopla Cash
$ 756.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think there should be a sixteen-team playoff.