• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mark Dantonio only wants conference champs in play-offs...

BucksFanInGA

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
soon.jpg

rolltide14_0

~V--I--P~
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,833.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Facing a B1G team in the playoffs is equivalent to a first round bye, so I don't give a shit.

tometom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,219.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I only agree to the extent you are trying to choose between teams with similar records. if it's between a 12-1 conference champ and a 11-1 team that didn't win the conference champ, you take the 12-1 team.

The problem with his statement is when the conference champ is some 9-4 team because of one bad game by a 12-0 or 11-1 team.. That conference needs represented but you can't include a 9-4 team in the playoff.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He knows he's going to have to play Nebraska twice and that Michigan St will be 10-2 going into the CCG. :nod:

Runeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,650.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I were from a weak conference, I would want the same....in spite of fairness. "the emperor has no cloths".

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I only agree to the extent you are trying to choose between teams with similar records. if it's between a 12-1 conference champ and a 11-1 team that didn't win the conference champ, you take the 12-1 team.

The problem with his statement is when the conference champ is some 9-4 team because of one bad game by a 12-0 or 11-1 team.. That conference needs represented but you can't include a 9-4 team in the playoff.

Im down with this line of thinking. All else being equal, go with a team that won its conference. If you dont win your conference it doesnt follow logically that you can be the overall champion. But at the very least have a better record than a conference champ you are going to supplant instead of playing this game of "eyeball test". If the conference champ is undeserving, they'll lose to the conference champ that finished ahead of the other team in question now, wont they?

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Facing a B1G team in the playoffs is equivalent to a first round bye, so I don't give a shit.

Let a scenario like 2012 happen and you would care a great deal.

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with Dantonio.

I believe the 5 power conferences should all increase to 14 members and break-away to form their own Elite division. This new division would have no independent teams, everybody must be in a conference.

Keep the playoffs limited to four teams. In order to qualify for the playoffs, a team must win its conference. After all five Conference Championship Games are completed, the selection committee only has to consider 5 teams for the 4 available spots. The committee seeds the 5 conference champs from 1 thru 5 with a heavy emphasis placed on out-of-conference strength of schedule. Seed number five----sorry, you lose...better luck next year....but as a consolation, seed number five will still get to play in a high payout Bowl.

To help ensure strong out-of-conference games, the following schedule rules will apply to everybody:

Everyone plays 13 regular season games, with 10 games in-conference (5 home and 5 away), plus 3 out-of-conference games. Two of the OOC games must be played against other Elite Power 5 opponents (one home and one away). No FCS opponents allowed, but the 3rd OOC game may be played against a team from the old FBS mid-major conferences (MAC, MWC, C-USA, AAC, Sun Belt). This third OOC game will be a home game for the Elite team, which ensures everybody in the Elite Division has 7 home games. This 3rd OOC game vs. a mid-major FBS opponent must be played prior to November.

Finally, since everyone plays 13 regular season games, Bowl eligibility will be 7 victories, and the start of the season is pulled back one week earlier (approx. August 22,23,24,25). Everyone must play a game week number one in August.....no Byes week number one.

The old mid-major FBS division will still exist with their own similar playoff system, and Bowl games can feature contests between the old FBS teams and the Elite Division teams. Because of the tougher road to Bowl eligibility (tougher scheduling rules and 7 victories), several minor Bowl games will be eliminated------good riddance.

The above system of five conference champions fighting for only four playoff spots is the best of both worlds, as it rewards conference champs, yet still ensures a tough/meaningful OOC schedule. This system also promotes meaningful home and home series games vs. other Elite Division opponents.

Last edited by a moderator:

dennis580

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Also its not possible to limit it to conference champions since there are independents.

potzer25

The most eubillicant poster.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,909.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with Dantonio.

I believe the 5 power conferences should all increase to 14 members and break-away to form their own Elite division. This new division would have no independent teams, everybody must be in a conference.

Keep the playoffs limited to four teams. In order to qualify for the playoffs, a team must win its conference. After all five Conference Championship Games are completed, the selection committee only has to consider 5 teams for the 4 available spots. The committee seeds the 5 conference champs from 1 thru 5 with a heavy emphasis placed on out-of-conference strength of schedule. Seed number five----sorry, you lose...better luck next year....but as a consolation, seed number five will still get to play in a high payout Bowl.

To help ensure strong out-of-conference games, the following schedule rules will apply to everybody:

Everyone plays 13 regular season games, with 10 games in-conference (5 home and 5 away), plus 3 out-of-conference games. Two of the OOC games must be played against other Elite Power 5 opponents (one home and one away). No FCS opponents allowed, but the 3rd OOC game may be played against a team from the old FBS mid-major conferences (MAC, MWC, C-USA, AAC, Sun Belt). This third OOC game will be a home game for the Elite team, which ensures everybody in the Elite Division has 7 home games. This 3rd OOC game vs. a mid-major FBS opponent must be played prior to November.

Finally, since everyone plays 13 regular season games, Bowl eligibility will be 7 victories, and the start of the season is pulled back one week earlier (approx. August 22,23,24,25). Everyone must play a game week number one in August.....no Byes week number one.

The old mid-major FBS division will still exist with their own similar playoff system, and Bowl games can feature contests between the old FBS teams and the Elite Division teams. Because of the tougher road to Bowl eligibility (tougher scheduling rules and 7 victories), several minor Bowl games will be eliminated------good riddance.

The above system of five conference champions fighting for only four playoff spots is the best of both worlds, as it rewards conference champs, yet still ensures a tough/meaningful OOC schedule. This system also promotes meaningful home and home series games vs. other Elite Division opponents.

I'm ok with that

HuskerOC

Huskers 24/7 365
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let a scenario like 2012 happen and you would care a great deal.

What would have happened in 2012 under a conference champs only format that would have been so egregious?

It would have been Notre Dame, Bama, Stanford, and Kansas State.