• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mark Dantonio only wants conference champs in play-offs...

The Authority

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
06 - OSU and Michigan have the #1 and #2 highest BCS points. NCAA mucks w/the system and puts UF ahead of them... this was fine. No one wants to see a repeat of that game.

11 - LSU and OK st. have the highest BCS point totals. NCAA mucks w/the system again and puts Bama in that NC game.

NCAA does what it wants.

It was the BCS, not the NCAA.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was the BCS, not the NCAA.

Which is why this system can only cause more issues. That was the human element that put them into that game. I do think Alabama was the best team that year, but I understand OSU feeling slighted.

The Authority

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which is why this system can only cause more issues. That was the human element that put them into that game. I do think Alabama was the best team that year, but I understand OSU feeling slighted.

Perfect example.

LSU beat Bama and Bama got rewarded for the loss while LSU was penalized for the win.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perfect example.

LSU beat Bama and Bama got rewarded for the loss while LSU was penalized for the win.

Bingo. We're pretty much on the same page. Like I said in the current system I do not think it should be just conference winners, but I am more opossed to teams sitting out championship Saturday and making it into the playoffs than only conference champions. Conference championships have to be scratched, move to 8 teams with the big 5 conference winners. They would then be seeded by their current rankings.

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not just OSU, but fans as well. Didn't know one person who wanted to see Bama/LSU again. Instead of watching two teams who hadn't faced each other before, we got screwed and had to watch a repeat.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does the NCAA not basically control the BCS?

The BCS compromised of 5 computers, a Harris Poll and a coaches Poll. The NCAA has no connection to the BCS or the playoff.

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The BCS compromised of 5 computers, a Harris Poll and a coaches Poll. The NCAA has no connection to the BCS or the playoff.

Ok. Was thinking the NCAA had a connection to the BCS.

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What Dantonio said...

doesn't really matter at this point, does it? what he said resonated with the concerns of everybody interested in college football...what he said has generated a shitload of discussion across the nation...

seems the discussion here reflects the phenomenon.

ps...now that you've all seen the name "Dantonio" 100+ times these past couple of days...do you think you'll EVER forget it?

:suds:

gggw

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not just OSU, but fans as well. Didn't know one person who wanted to see Bama/LSU again. Instead of watching two teams who hadn't faced each other before, we got screwed and had to watch a repeat.

I know I would have rathered watch LSU play OSU... But obviously for the reason they matched up better with OSU. I still feel the proper teams faced off, but we would only know that difinitively if a playoff was in place.

Runeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,650.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO, they got it right both years; the 06 Ohio State and Michigan teams both got shelled in their respective bowl game and LSU/Alabama teams were clearly the two best teams in CFB.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO, they got it right both years; the 06 Ohio State and Michigan teams both got shelled in their respective bowl game and LSU/Alabama teams were clearly the two best teams in CFB.

As much as it pains me to say this, in the OSU/Florida game Ted Ginn Jr went down like the opening play I believe. Not saying they win the game, but I think it would have been tough for Florida to blow out the Buckeyes with him healthy the entire game. You can blame that on the team dogpiling him.

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know I would have rathered watch LSU play OSU... But obviously for the reason they matched up better with OSU. I still feel the proper teams faced off, but we would only know that difinitively if a playoff was in place.

True, but even if a playoff system were in place that year, I still leave Bama out because they couldn't win their division. As far as I'm concerned, they were 3rd in the SEC that year.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, but even if a playoff system were in place that year, I still leave Bama out because they couldn't win their division. As far as I'm concerned, they were 3rd in the SEC that year.

They were easily deserving in my opinion and should have been in a playoff set up. I just don't like that Bama would have gotten another go at Auburn right after they were defeated. I think Michigan State could have won it all unless they played Bama in a playoff setting. MSU was a worse matchup for FSU than Auburn.

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As much as it pains me to say this, in the OSU/Florida game Ted Ginn Jr went down like the opening play I believe. Not saying they win the game, but I think it would have been tough for Florida to blow out the Buckeyes with him healthy the entire game. You can blame that on the team dogpiling him.

Yeah, Ginn going out ruined that game. Changed the dynamic of the game and allowed UF to stack the box and shut everything down. Too bad, could have been a much better game.

bigred472

theoldestidiotonthisboard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I only agree to the extent you are trying to choose between teams with similar records. if it's between a 12-1 conference champ and a 11-1 team that didn't win the conference champ, you take the 12-1 team.

The problem with his statement is when the conference champ is some 9-4 team because of one bad game by a 12-0 or 11-1 team.. That conference needs represented but you can't include a 9-4 team in the playoff.
-------
Why can't you include a 9-4 team in a plyoff? There are many reasons for a team to be 9-4----a young team that goes on a tear towards the end of the season. A team that had been decimated early in the season.

If you choose something other than conference champs then just put the names of all the top 25 teams in a hat and draw out 4. Winning you conference HAS to mean something.

The Authority

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It just makes sense. Winning your conference is an extension of the playoff.

The Authority

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They were easily deserving in my opinion and should have been in a playoff set up. I just don't like that Bama would have gotten another go at Auburn right after they were defeated. I think Michigan State could have won it all unless they played Bama in a playoff setting. MSU was a worse matchup for FSU than Auburn.

However winning the division actually penalized your team. You had to play an extra game and ran the risk of being eliminated. Meanwhile they were rewarded a bye for losing.

It just doesn't work or make sense this way.

Last edited by a moderator:

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
However winning the division actually penalized your team. You had to play an extra game and ran the risk of being eliminated. Meanwhile they got a bye for losing.

It just doesn't work or make sense this way.

How is everyone else not getting this?!?! I don't care that they are a powerhouse and probably 9 times out of 10 beat everyone else out there. On that day, they lost.. end of story and end of season.

The Authority

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How is everyone else not getting this?!?! I don't care that they are a powerhouse and probably 9 times out of 10 beat everyone else out there. On that day, they lost.. end of story and end of season.

Because they are too caught up in the whole this conference is so much better than that conference debate.

Its stupid.