• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mariota and Titans vs. Winston and Bucs

MIKE75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Game is gonna be Titans at Bucs,3:25 central time on CBS

Below is what each QB has done this preseason.....

Mariota has completed 21 of 30 passes,70% of passes completed,326 yards,11 yrds avg.,1TD/1INT and 102.9 QB rating.

Winston has completed 23 of 47 passes,49% of passes completed,311 yards,6 yds avg,0TD/2INT and 52.7 QB rating.

Both QB's have bad offensive lines. Both have teams coming off of 2-14 seasons. As far as supporting cast i think Winston has more talent surrounding him with Vincent Jackson,Mike Evans,Doug Martin,etc.

Only three times in 20 years has a quarterback been chosen with each of the first two picks of the NFL draft. The first time was in 1998 when Indy chose Peyton Manning and San Diego chose Ryan Leaf. The second time was 1999 when Cleveland chose Tim Couch and Philadelphia chose Donovan McNabb. The third time was 2012 when Andrew Luck chosen by Indy and RGIII chosen by Washington.

Manning and Leaf did play each other that rookie season in 1998 and ironically both QB's completed 12 of 23 passes and Indy beat San Diego 17-12 that day. Both teams finished near the bottom of the standings that year.

Couch and McNabb didn't play each other that year and both teams finished near the bottom of the standings.

As far as Luck and RGIII the two did not cross paths during their rookie seasons, which eventually culminated with both Luck’s Indianapolis Colts and Griffin’s Washington Redskins earning playoff berths. Griffin would lay claim to that year’s AP Rookie of the Year honors.

Unlike Luck and Griffin, Mariota and Winston both won Heisman Trophies. Winston was awarded for his 2013 campaign, while Mariota earned 2014’s honors.

This kind of phenomenon is rare enough before factoring in the history of the two rookies. Mariota and Winston dueled in January’s Rose Bowl that saw Oregon defeat Florida State to the tune of 59-20.

Even then, the matchup was billed as “Heisman vs. Heisman” because it was such an infrequent, special occurrence.

In April, the Buccaneers selected Winston with the number one overall pick, leading the Titans to select Mariota with the second. This was the first time in NFL draft history that the first two picks were Heisman winners.

This will be just the fifth time since 1970 that the first two draft choices have faced off in the season opener, and the first time ever between two quarterbacks.

Add in the fact that the previous season’s two worst teams start the season against each other, and the game seems loaded full of odd coincidences.

That’s why Sunday’s game between the Titans and Buccaneers is all the more special.

Mariota was 36-4 in his career at Oregon with 105TD/14INT, He threw for over 10,000 yards and rushed for over 2,000 yards. His TD/INT ratio is among the best in college history.

Winston was 26-1 in his career at Florida St. with 65TD/28INT. Both QB's completed 66% of their passes.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting matchup. Pretty sure this has to be the first time in NFL history that QBs taken first and second overall in the draft begin their careers playing on opposing teams. I like the Bucs in this one, particularly if Mike Evans plays, but Winston is certainly capable of turning the ball over and hurting his team.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mariota has not been nearly as big of a disaster as I thought. In fact he's played well at times. Winston on the other hand.....meh. Mike Even is a game time decision and I'm not really impressed with either defense. Going with Tennessee on this one.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mariota has not been nearly as big of a disaster as I thought. In fact he's played well at times. Winston on the other hand.....meh. Mike Even is a game time decision and I'm not really impressed with either defense. Going with Tennessee on this one.

*Evans. Dammit.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00