• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mariners Draft

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MLB Draft Tracker

Complete Mariners draft. It may just be me, but one thing I noticed is that Jerry drafted more average to smaller guys (contact I assume) than big guys both in the field and on the mound.
I didn't find it too out of the ordinary but noticeable, now that you mention it. It does seem like Dipoto likes to live in that "ideal" baseball size, 5'11"-6'3", and is more willing to get the 5'8" "smaller" guy than Jack Z was.

Personally I would rather have my position guys be a majority of high contact hitters and a lower percent of players that fit into that "all or nothing" Peguero mold. Jack Z seemed to gravitate towards the later especially during the last few seasons.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well not knowing too much about the majority of guys the Mariners drafted I am pretty happy with what appears to be the Dipoto draft style. It appears to be a much different philosophy than the Jack Z regime. I am curious to see what these guys got in the future.

Ya, time will tell as always but found the difference of build in the players most interesting. Less gazelle or brick wall type players and more 'dirt bag' type players.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jim Caple ESPN Senior Writer
caple_jim_m.jpg
The Mariners also drafted former catcher Dan Wilson's son, Eli, in the 37th round. Eli was a four-year varsity player at Garfield HS.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really, Harper had a much more unique situation than most players. Harper got his GED after, I think, his sophomore year in high school so that he could play 1 year of college then be eligible for the draft in what would be his senior year of high school. He was likely going to be a top 3 pick no matter what which is why he wanted to get drafted early. One of the reasons he wanted to go to CSN is because its a wood bat league.

Kinda my example to the tee, his competition didn't matter. He was 16, 17 and 18 year olds then played a bunch of nobodies, not exactly the cream of the crop when it comes to competition.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kinda my example to the tee, his competition didn't matter. He was 16, 17 and 18 year olds then played a bunch of nobodies, not exactly the cream of the crop when it comes to competition.
Disagree, Harper is extremely unique the dude would have gone top 3 as a sophomore in high school the competition that he played against was never considered it was simply a formality to be eligible for the draft at an earlier age. Lewis on the other hand was an unknown until his last 2 years at Mercer, wasn't even drafted out of high school.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disagree, Harper is extremely unique the dude would have gone top 3 as a sophomore in high school the competition that he played against was never considered it was simply a formality to be eligible for the draft at an earlier age. Lewis on the other hand was an unknown until his last 2 years at Mercer, wasn't even drafted out of high school.

Guess we can disagree, Harper was a stud prospect no doubt, but his competition was horrible he played against which IMO dispell that competition is the end all be all.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guess we can disagree, Harper was a stud prospect no doubt, but his competition was horrible he played against which IMO dispell that competition is the end all be all.
Yeah its just apples and hot dogs to me, completely different ball game. I think any player drafted out of high school and makes it to the big leagues would be a better example of horrible competition. I really don't think for a second that the level of competition for a prospect is the end all be all but just one more thing to consider when drafting a player, and possibly a reason a player might drop 5-10 spots in a draft that sees over 1,000 players drafted.