• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mariners Draft

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mariners draft shortstop Brigman to open Day 2
mlbf_625727983_th_45.jpg
2016 Draft: Bryson Brigman, SS 1:01
Bryson Brigman is a capable defender, though most see him moving over to second base for him to have the chance to be an everyday player
By Greg Johns / MLB.com | @gregjohnsmlb | 2:30 PM ET
SEATTLE -- Day 2 of the 2016 MLB Draft consists of Rounds 3-10. Follow every Mariners pick live. Below is a look at each of the Mariners' picks on Day 2:

Round 3 (87th overall), Bryson Brigman, SS, University of San Diego
The Mariners continued stocking up on position prospects, landing a 20-year-old middle infielder who missed part of the early season this year with a sports hernia, but returned to hit .372 with 31 runs, 22 RBIs and 17 stolen bases in 47 games in his just-completed sophomore season and was named to the All-West Coast Conference first team for a second straight year.

Brigman, who was also a standout youth hockey player growing up in San Jose, is the only player to have appeared on three world championship teams for USA Baseball, playing on the 16-and-under title team in 2011 and helping win back-to-back titles with the 18-and-under team in 2012 and '13.

Brigman played some second base for Team USA and could be an option at that position as well. The 5-foot-11, 170-pounder was selected in the 40th round of the 2014 MLB Draft by the A's out of Valley Christian High School in San Jose, but he elected to go to the University of San Diego.

The Draft concludes on Saturday, with exclusive coverage of Rounds 11-40 beginning on MLB.com at 9 a.m. PT.

Round 4 (117th overall), Thomas Burrows, LHP, University of Alabama
The left-hander was the first pitcher selected by Seattle and some scouts feel the 21-year-old could be a fairly advanced prospect as a hard-throwing bullpen candidate.

Burrows is Alabama's all-time career saves leader with 30 in three seasons. He was 2-1 with a 0.95 ERA and 12 saves with 41 strikeouts and nine walks in 28 1/3 innings over 21 appearances this year as a junior despite missing most of March with an oblique injury.

A finance major at Alabama, the 6-foot-1, 225-pounder has a fastball that tops out around 95 mph and has shown improvement with his slider this season. Burrows attended Mars Hill Bible School in Florence, Ala., where he was the 3A state pitcher of the year as a senior and set school records for home runs and RBIs as a first baseman when he wasn't pitching.

Round 5 (147th overall), Donovan Walton, SS, Oklahoma State
The switch-hitting college senior hit .350 with 44 runs, 14 doubles, a triple, three homers, 43 RBIs and 13 stolen bases in 59 games this past season and became the first player in school history to be a three-time All-Big 12 first-team selection.

The 5-foot-10, 175-pounder from Tulsa, Okla., has been drafted twice before -- in the 36th round in 2012 by the Mets and in the 23rd round in 2015 by the Brewers -- but he stayed in school and is playing for Oklahoma State on Saturday in the Columbia Super Regional against South Carolina.

Walton is a sports management major and academic All-Big-12 selection as well. His father, Robert, played three seasons in the Orioles' Minor League system and is now Oklahoma State's pitching coach. His brother, Davis, was an offensive tackle at Tulsa from 2012-14.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope you all are paying attention here. There will be a test later.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think its safe to Dipoto likes college players.

My initial take on the first several picks is solid quality but I don't really see high upside guys, outside of Lewis. We will have a better idea after some more scouting info comes out on some of these guys. But initially I love the Lewis pick, really like the Burrows picks should be a bullpen arm before to long, Goldstein is a catcher first kind of player which I like out of a catcher, Miller from Millersville, Millerland is interesting don't know much about him but very curious to learn more and Joe Rizzo might be a fun hitter to watch hit.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
David Greer 3B from Arizona State with 10th round.

Sounds like a hitter more than anything else, probably doesn't stay at 3rd, it was also mentioned he has played several different positions.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya we have #11 and #50 today. There is a top 5 player who is a SS that flunked a test (never read what type) and is dropping fast they say. Time M's get dirty and take a chance on this kid. 6'3" 165 high school SS rated #1 at his position. Now projected to go #13

SS Delvin Perez, International Baseball Academy (PR)
Perez is one of the most tooled-up players in the draft class and a no-doubt long-term shortstop. He's a long-term project because he's raw and needs work with his approach at the plate. Tampa has shown they are a patient team when it comes to player development -- they're perfectly fine with letting a player spend 4-5 years in the minors, if necessary -- making Perez a good fit for the Rays, and the Rays a good fit for Perez.

Meanwhile, Puerto Rican shortstop Delvin Perez went 23rd overall to the Cardinals with their first pick after he was reported to have tested positive for PEDs on his pre-draft drug test. MLB Network analyst Harold Reynolds blasted the selection for “sending the wrong message” on a night when the sport is supposed to celebrate amateur baseball, but the Cardinals saw value in a player ranked No. 7 on the BA 500 and getting him so low.
Read more at Draft Day One Sees Several Surprises - BaseballAmerica.com

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only thing I read as to why he dropped was because some worried about his competition at Mercer. Voters didn't worry since they voted him player of the year.

I think Bryce Harper should've dispelled that notion shouldn't he have?

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Bryce Harper should've dispelled that notion shouldn't he have?
Not really, Harper had a much more unique situation than most players. Harper got his GED after, I think, his sophomore year in high school so that he could play 1 year of college then be eligible for the draft in what would be his senior year of high school. He was likely going to be a top 3 pick no matter what which is why he wanted to get drafted early. One of the reasons he wanted to go to CSN is because its a wood bat league.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MLB Draft Tracker

Complete Mariners draft. It may just be me, but one thing I noticed is that Jerry drafted more average to smaller guys (contact I assume) than big guys both in the field and on the mound.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well not knowing too much about the majority of guys the Mariners drafted I am pretty happy with what appears to be the Dipoto draft style. It appears to be a much different philosophy than the Jack Z regime. I am curious to see what these guys got in the future.