• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mariners 2014/2015 Offseason

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the thing with cruz is more immediately measurable is why i commented on it

all of the other stuff i've grieved over for years. :(

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And this (Which I actually like as I do with the Chavez move):

AND GUTIERREZ, TOO?

The Mariners are also moving closer to a reunion with veteran outfielder Franklin Gutierrez, who is seeking to make a comeback after missing all of last season while dealing with severe gastrointestinal issues.
Gutierrez, 31, drew interest from several clubs after playing 10 games in December for Caracas in the Venezuelan Winter League, but he indicated a preference to return to the Mariners if he continues his comeback.
Any deal with Gutierrez would likely be a minor-league contract with an invitation to big-league camp. Privately, club officials say Gutierrez would almost certainly open the season at Tacoma to measure his recovery.
Gutierrez is a nine-year veteran who played for the Mariners from 2009-13, although various injuries and ailments limited him to 173 games over the final three years.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think anyone could complain about Guti, but if he were to actually make the club does he or Jackson play a corner spot.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see Guti as a RF these days IF he plays at all. I hope he can come back. He was actually our best CF since Cameron.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol

We got Guttierez and Chavez.

Our outfield is complete.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yahoooooo! We are now close to having the best OF in the majors. Just 3 players away from getting there!!!!!! :)

Thisnamewasntaken

Formerly from ESPN
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Always liked Guti, but I think it's safe to say our FO half assed it this offseason. We made an amazing splash with Cruz (well I liked the signing) but then they didn't do anything else to compliment the move or put us over the top..it's a damn shame too. I hope Guti can get healthy and make and amazing comeback. I'd rather see him out there with Jackson & Ackley then that scrub platoon they slapped together.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Always liked Guti, but I think it's safe to say our FO half assed it this offseason. We made an amazing splash with Cruz (well I liked the signing) but then they didn't do anything else to compliment the move or put us over the top..it's a damn shame too. I hope Guti can get healthy and make and amazing comeback. I'd rather see him out there with Jackson & Ackley then that scrub platoon they slapped together.
The Ruggiano/Smith platoon actually has a decent chance of being a good compliment to the Cruz signing, and at a much lower cost of adding someone like Melky.

They still have to actually perform to the level they project to, but to say we did nothing else is really not true. I wouldn't say we made any more big splashes other than Cruz, but we were 1 game away from the playoffs. We don't necessarily need to make multiple big splashes.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Ruggiano/Smith platoon actually has a decent chance of being a good compliment to the Cruz signing, and at a much lower cost of adding someone like Melky.

there's a reason it's a much lower cost.

ruggiano/smith is a gigantic fucking joke.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yahoooooo! We are now close to having the best OF in the majors. Just 3 players away from getting there!!!!!! :)

it's so bad

add a DH, but still field one of the worst outfields in the AL, and not even by a little

it's just so sad

Last edited by a moderator:

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it's so bad

add a DH, but still field one of the worst outfields in the AL, and not even by a little

it's just so sad

It's just so Jack.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but we were 1 game away from the playoffs. We don't necessarily need to make multiple big splashes.

Pet peeve of mine, but to me we were 1 game away from a 1 game series to make it to the playoffs. The division winners made it to the playoffs. We were 11 games back from making the playoffs. 11. When you play for the division you are up against 4 teams. When you play for the wildcard you are up against 14 teams.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pet peeve of mine, but to me we were 1 game away from a 1 game series to make it to the playoffs. The division winners made it to the playoffs. We were 11 games back from making the playoffs. 11. When you play for the division you are up against 4 teams. When you play for the wildcard you are up against 14 teams.

Like I pointed out earlier in the thread. They were a game out in what was arguably the easiest road to a playoff spot in years. 88 wins got you the 2nd wildcard last year. It was 92 or 93 in previous years. You also were dealing with multiple contenders that were having issues they dont normally have like Texas, New York, Boston and Tampa. Also we have had trouble beating Houston when they were bad. Now they are getting much better.

Tough to look at last year as glass half full because at the end of the day it was a huge missed opportunity. Have they improved the team enough to gain at least 6-7 wins against better competition? You also have to take into account that pitching will almost certainly drop off because it was producing at a pretty historic rate last year.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They still have to actually perform to the level they project to, but to say we did nothing else is really not true. I wouldn't say we made any more big splashes other than Cruz, but we were 1 game away from the playoffs. We don't necessarily need to make multiple big splashes.

My problem with that platoon is why couldn't that have been done, while dealing Ackley and Walker for something and signing Melky? Melky and Cruz and Jack not sitting on his ass and making real trades could've made this team better.

And was pointed out, there is a .001% chance that the cards fall perfectly for the Mariners like it did last year and they still didn't make the playoffs. Hell even going into to September, had anyone said the teams in front of them would've stunk it up the way they did then the Mariners should've been a shoe in to be in but they choked it away themselves. That year was the definition of an anomaly.

Msfann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Mariners front office relies on luck more than anything.

Luck isn't enough to win championships.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If this outfield performs well behind the plate or on the field, I'll be happy.

It's impossible for a baseball fan to look at it and think it's not a staggering weakness top to bottom, though.

I know some people think it's crazy to expect Nintendo and Z to put together a team that is a frontrunner to win the AL West. The "but we were almost good enough to make it into a 1-game playoff to actually get into the real playoffs" idea is a loser perspective, imo.

As NW said, nobody knows how long this window will be open. Baseball fans understand that, and Seattle sports fans more so than just about anybody else.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Amen!!!!