• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mariners 2014/2015 Offseason

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I swear he got a triple though

I actually thought he did as well, but it was 2013 for his one and only (shocked!) triple.

For your enjoyment:

<iframe src='http://m.mlb.com/shared/video/embed/embed.html?content_id=26774489&topic_id=6479266&width=400&height=224&property=mlb' width='400' height='224' frameborder='0'>Your browser does not support iframes.</iframe>

or

Montero's triple | MLB.com

EVille3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Oakland just landed Zobrist from the Rays for Jaso and 2 minor leaguers...

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice one Jack!

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course, that's why I was never convinced they were fully rebuilding, just retooling. They still have a solid rotation with a decent lineup.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup. What is the old saying, "The reports of A's death have been greatly exaggerated."

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup. What is the old saying, "The reports of A's death have been greatly exaggerated."

I don't think they will be a real contender for a playoff spot IMO but them not going full rebuild mold, the Astros getting better and Rangers getting healthier just makes Jack's lack of moves more frustrating as the division on paper gets better while at most Seattle has done is a slight upgrade on offense. Cruz coming in alone isn't going to put them in the playoffs nor IMO will this out of the box thinking of platooning half the lineup.

They still have work to do to become a playoff threat but are basically out of roster spots because their lack of commitment to actual starters, both position players and pitchers.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They still have work to do to become a playoff threat but are basically out of roster spots because their lack of commitment to actual starters, both position players and pitchers.

Yep still alot more questions then answers in the the lineup. LF, CF, RF, SS, 1B are positions that as of now you are HOPING players next the step, stay healthy or bounce back. A year ago today we were sure about Cano and Seagar and that was it. Now fast forward a year later you can be sure about 1 more spot (Cruz) and possibly one other (Zunino). Its just frustrating that the job is always partially done. Its ok to upgrade multiple spots ya know.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep still alot more questions then answers in the the lineup. LF, CF, RF, SS, 1B are positions that as of now you are HOPING players next the step, stay healthy or bounce back. A year ago today we were sure about Cano and Seagar and that was it. Now fast forward a year later you can be sure about 1 more spot (Cruz) and possibly one other (Zunino). Its just frustrating that the job is always partially done. Its ok to upgrade multiple spots ya know.

Which is my problem with Jack, cause technically he has upgraded but not upgraded at the same time with deciding make acquisitions forcing the club to platoon positions. They need full time starters, not just going off of Lloyd's hunches about players game by game. Baseball isn't football or basketball where a player gets to prove he is better than another in practice every day, there needs to be defined roles not split starters. Guys need to be able to go 0-4 and play the next day, or make an error and still play. The platooning didn't work last year down the stretch and I can't think of a time in the history of baseball where a team had a roster where 14 guys started 60 plus games which is where Jack has this roster headed.

ehwq

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice one Jack!

Would you really want him to trade a top prospect and a roster player like Jaso for a 34 year old who is a FA after the season and Escobar?

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beane quietly putting together a very good team. As usual.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would you really want him to trade a top prospect and a roster player like Jaso for a 34 year old who is a FA after the season and Escobar?

In a word....YES! Jaso is a catcher who can't catch. A concussion away from retirement. A platoon hitter at best. The prospect they gave up is a low A player who projects as a serviceable player at best and the other is another low A guy.

Since 2011 season, Zobrist is 5th in total WAR with only guys like Cano, Cabrera, Trout, and McCutchen ahead of him. His age is not a factor (he is only 17 months older than Cano), and the fact he only has one year left is the reason he is available. We are playing for 2015 and not 2017. He walks we get a sandwich pick back anyways.

So to give up a Morrison, a Marte, and a Choi for him and Escobar would have been just fine with me and it would have made us a better team now with little affect on the future.

Lookout Landing:

Amazingly, Beane has managed to do it yet again. The price tag? John Jaso, Daniel Robertson, and Boog Powell. Robertson is a very good, though non-elite prospect -- a 20 year old former 1st round pick who plays middle infield, but hasn't been ranked in Baseball America's top 100 -- yet. Powell is 22 and has a big bat but was also popped for a 50-game suspension this year. He hasn't advanced past A+.

Last edited by a moderator:

ehwq

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In a word....YES! Jaso is a catcher who can't catch. A concussion away from retirement. A platoon hitter at best. The prospect they gave up is a low A player who projects as a serviceable player at best and the other is another low A guy.

Since 2011 season, Zobrist is 5th in total WAR with only guys like Cano, Cabrera, Trout, and McCutchen ahead of him. His age is not a factor (he is only 17 months older than Cano), and the fact he only has one year left is the reason he is available. We are playing for 2015 and not 2017. He walks we get a sandwich pick back anyways.

So to give up a Morrison, a Marte, and a Choi for him and Escobar would have been just fine with me and it would have made us a better team now with little affect on the future.

Lookout Landing:

Amazingly, Beane has managed to do it yet again. The price tag? John Jaso, Daniel Robertson, and Boog Powell. Robertson is a very good, though non-elite prospect -- a 20 year old former 1st round pick who plays middle infield, but hasn't been ranked in Baseball America's top 100 -- yet. Powell is 22 and has a big bat but was also popped for a 50-game suspension this year. He hasn't advanced past A+.

Oh! I just assumed Robertson was really good since he's their top prospect. I was thinking he had similar value to a Peterson/Jackson.

In that case I'll agree with the "nice one Jack" comment.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was their #1 prospect, but you have to remember they traded so many higher ranked guys since the trade deadline this season. Baseball America had him as their #9 prospect in January 2014 when they still had all their other guys around. I compare him more to Marte for us. Powell already got a 50-game suspension this year so who knows with him.

I rate these deals like this; If Beane dealt him, he probably isn't what most people think. If Jack trades him, then he is a future All-Star. :pound:

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since Jack has "revamped" the farm system why in the world would anyone be against giving up prospects for a shot for this season. Outside of Seager what prospect has really shown anything that gives confidence in Jack's minor league decisions or the scouting department. I'd say ok to Paxton but still haven't seen a full year, Zunino is a defensive wizard but hasn't rounded himself into Dan Wilson yet. Prospects are prospects and there isn't a reason to hold onto them if there is a chance to win now. The Mariners need to win now or they will become the 5th most popular sports team in Seattle once the NBA and NHL come here.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because you can't mortgage the future on trades for proven veteran players. It is some kind of baseball rule or something. Just think if we did that in 2003 or so, we would still be waiting on a playoff team....oh wait.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because you can't mortgage the future on trades for proven veteran players. It is some kind of baseball rule or something. Just think if we did that in 2003 or so, we would still be waiting on a playoff team....oh wait.

Haha like when Lou was begging to get trade any of the Mariners highly touted pitching prospects to get a LF but Pat didn't want to mortgage the future and I think only Franklin was the only one of those top 6 pitchers who even made a dent in the league.

But there are lots of conventional wisdom that Jack has gone against which he could've made a deal like that;

Trading a young highly touted starting pitcher with plus stuff for a decent closer
Trading a guy who was pitching at an all star caliber under team control along with an all star caliber reliever (at the time) but not getting even getting a top 4 prospect back
Trading an all star pitcher under team control for a highly touted prospect with no position
Having to put a reliever who was pitching at an all star level along with the biggest trade chip at the deadline but not getting one major league ready play back
Giving a boat load of money to a player who's entire game is stunted by your leadoff hitter then changing his position as well.

I'm sure there's more but that's just off the top of my head.