• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Managing expectations here

Peter Gozintite

NO!...but yes.
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 103,499.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I was actually pleasantly surprised at the overall effort the Bears put forth in the Green Gay game. I thought the coaching staff put together a good game plan and the team executed well for the most part. In the end Rodgers proved to be too much to defend for 4 qtrs.

Is anyone else under the impression though, that this was maybe a high point. They had all off season to prepare for this game, we have some really tough games ahead. I just feel like they will be less likely to be this competitive with other high power ranking type teams.

Sorry to be a Debbie Downer, but I cant see us winning more than 5 games this season.

Eeyore-Complex.jpg

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's really tough with our first three games being what they are. However, I was/am pretty encouraged as well, and also at the same time, trying to temper expectations from getting carried away a bit. I would still be very happily surprised if they really competed.

I think this team will actually get better as the year goes on, as teams often do during transition years under first year coaches (as long as they're competent, which I believe Fox/Fangio/Gase to be). The Packers were saying a lot of good things about the Bears D following the game, along with the looks Fangio was showing. That they look like a totally different defense. Now... I don't think they will be a very good unit this year, but I think there will be some bright spots.

Like I said in another thread, I don't think the wins come early on and they are basically out of things completely come roughly mid-season. However, I think they'll start to pickup some momentum later on, when the schedule should lighten. Maybe start playing with some confidence.

To be honest, it also wouldn't shock me if they found a way to beat Arizona. I am not as high on them as other people are, but they've certainly earned the right to be favorites. We shall see. This game will tell us how much last Sunday meant.

Also, every team has a lot of time to prepare for week 1. Kind of evens out. I do agree, though, that week 1 can be very misleading in many ways.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Encouraged, sure, everybody is. But going back to same old same old with this new staff abandoning the run is disturbing.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Defense needs to play better. Missing Ratliff, for sure.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's really tough with our first three games being what they are. However, I was/am pretty encouraged as well, and also at the same time, trying to temper expectations from getting carried away a bit. I would still be very happily surprised if they really competed.

I think this team will actually get better as the year goes on, as teams often do during transition years under first year coaches (as long as they're competent, which I believe Fox/Fangio/Gase to be). The Packers were saying a lot of good things about the Bears D following the game, along with the looks Fangio was showing. That they look like a totally different defense. Now... I don't think they will be a very good unit this year, but I think there will be some bright spots.

Like I said in another thread, I don't think the wins come early on and they are basically out of things completely come roughly mid-season. However, I think they'll start to pickup some momentum later on, when the schedule should lighten. Maybe start playing with some confidence.

To be honest, it also wouldn't shock me if they found a way to beat Arizona. I am not as high on them as other people are, but they've certainly earned the right to be favorites. We shall see. This game will tell us how much last Sunday meant.

Also, every team has a lot of time to prepare for week 1. Kind of evens out. I do agree, though, that week 1 can be very misleading in many ways.

I actually think AZ is better than GB. Comparable offenses, and AZ's Defense is way better IMO.

C

cubzzzfanincali

The defense on the whole wasn't terrible, but it has some weaknesses. They definitely attacked Goldman and Sutton with success, and Alan Ball didn't look too hot. Plus the pass rush left a lot to be desired. But I actually thought the LBs played pretty good, and even the guy whose signing I criticized (Rolle) played fine, and I liked that he also coached Amos right there on the field after a couple of plays. Good leadership.

I also liked the play of the O line (for the most part). They all made some mistakes, but it wasn't a disaster. Wilson was getting open a lot. I'd hope the team tries to use him a little more.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The TD Jones caught was behind Balls left ear and a great catch, he was all over him. Fuller looked worse than Ball, which was disturbing. Got taken on a double move like he was Jennings.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The defense on the whole wasn't terrible, but it has some weaknesses. They definitely attacked Goldman and Sutton with success, and Alan Ball didn't look too hot. Plus the pass rush left a lot to be desired. But I actually thought the LBs played pretty good, and even the guy whose signing I criticized (Rolle) played fine, and I liked that he also coached Amos right there on the field after a couple of plays. Good leadership.

I also liked the play of the O line (for the most part). They all made some mistakes, but it wasn't a disaster. Wilson was getting open a lot. I'd hope the team tries to use him a little more.

For what it's worth, from PFF.

Of the seven rookie defensive tackles who had at least ten or more run defense snaps, Eddie Goldman had the best run stop percentage at 18.2, more than double everyone except Indianapolis’ David Parry.

Agreed on the O-line. The most encouraging thing that came out of the day, IMO. They looked pretty dang good on a lot of running plays. Long was fantastic, I thought, outside of the sack he allowed. Bushrod actually played decently, I remember a long screen play to Forte where he really motored down the field and made a great block on a LB to spring him.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The TD Jones caught was behind Balls left ear and a great catch, he was all over him. Fuller looked worse than Ball, which was disturbing. Got taken on a double move like he was Jennings.

Cobb was invisible most of the game. 5 catches for 38 yards. Most of that was Fuller's work.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually think AZ is better than GB. Comparable offenses, and AZ's Defense is way better IMO.

Comparable offense... to Green Bay? What?

And the Cardinals did not beat one playoff team that had their starting QB last season. They only beat the Cowboys, who started Brandon Weeden. They have a good defense, but no... putting up 31 on the hapless Saints D does not impress me. This will be a close game Sunday, IMO.

C

cubzzzfanincali

For what it's worth, from PFF.

Of the seven rookie defensive tackles who had at least ten or more run defense snaps, Eddie Goldman had the best run stop percentage at 18.2, more than double everyone except Indianapolis’ David Parry.

Agreed on the O-line. The most encouraging thing that came out of the day, IMO. They looked pretty dang good on a lot of running plays. Long was fantastic, I thought, outside of the sack he allowed. Bushrod actually played decently, I remember a long screen play to Forte where he really motored down the field and made a great block on a LB to spring him.

it seemed to me that Goldman was getting pushed a lot, so he was making his tackles, but not at the LOS, more like 5 yards back. I don't have stats to prove it, just an impression.

C

cubzzzfanincali

the fault on the TD I would put on Ball not so much in his coverage recovery, which wasn't bad, but he wasn't able to jam him. Ball's main strength is pressing, once he has to come back it's pretty much too late.

I agree Fuller didn't look too good either. But he was assigned to Cobb a lot, and didn't surrender too many catches. Ball was covering Adams and Jones a lot and they got most of their catches on him. He tends to get out of position. I don't have stats behind me, so could be convinced otherwise.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And the Cardinals did not beat one playoff team that had their starting QB last season. They only beat the Cowboys, who started Brandon Weeden. They have a good defense, but no... putting up 31 on the hapless Saints D does not impress me. This will be a close game Sunday, IMO.

Neat.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the fault on the TD I would put on Ball not so much in his coverage recovery, which wasn't bad, but he wasn't able to jam him. Ball's main strength is pressing, once he has to come back it's pretty much too late.

I agree Fuller didn't look too good either. But he was assigned to Cobb a lot, and didn't surrender too many catches. Ball was covering Adams and Jones a lot and they got most of their catches on him. He tends to get out of position. I don't have stats behind me, so could be convinced otherwise.

The difference though, was Cobb was about as ready to play as our receivers were. Cobb missed alot of time with a shoulder injury. No problem with his legs at all though. Cobb was questionable pretty late, so I thought some of what he was doing was just going to be decoy routes anyway.

C

cubzzzfanincali

I'm not yelling, I am laughing. You really DO hate Detroit, don't you?

C

cubzzzfanincali

The difference though, was Cobb was about as ready to play as our receivers were. Cobb missed alot of time with a shoulder injury. No problem with his legs at all though. Cobb was questionable pretty late, so I thought some of what he was doing was just going to be decoy routes anyway.

fair point. Look, the play of our corners was both sufficiently marginal that I'm not going to get into a "yeah but this corner sucked a little less than that one did" debate. Kyle Fuller needs to start showing some improvement.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm encouraged too... IF they can continue to put in the same amount of effort, get better at executing the plays, and stay healthy- I can see a very good second half of the season.

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
THE FUCKING DEFENSE NEEDS TO HIT THE DAMN QUARTERBACK...... PLAIN AND SIMPLE.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we can get out of the first 6 games with 2 wins... The schedule can provide some relief. Granted they need to keep improving and most importantly stay healthy.

We all knew even with 2010 version of the Bears this first part of the season would have been tough, if we keep that in mind, should be okay.