• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Make an all time team using players from your home state

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I figured if I wanted a 25-man roster, I would have to dig.

I'm living in Nashua now, went to HS in Hollis and college in Keene.

Not too far from me. I'm up in Manch-Vegas. :suds:

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not too far from me. I'm up in Manch-Vegas. :suds:
Ahh yes, I've been to many a Manchester Monarchs games and was a member of the 2007 Class I State Championship baseball team that played for the title at the Fisher Cats Stadium. I think it's called something different.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ahh yes, I've been to many a Manchester Monarchs games and was a member of the 2007 Class I State Championship baseball team that played for the title at the Fisher Cats Stadium. I think it's called something different.

It's called Northeast Delta Dental Stadium now. One of my boys was a pretty darn good baseball player, but he's a few years older than you and they were still playing high school games at Gill Stadium and the school fields when he was at West. .

Guy Incognito

Crack a window, will ya?
Hoopla Cash
$ 342.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
New Jersey

C: John Romano
1B: Erik Karros
2B: Eric Young
3B: Todd Frazier
SS: Derek Jeter
OF: Billy Hamilton
OF: Joe "Ducky" Medwick
OF: Mike Trout

P: Al Leiter, Al Downing, Andy Messersmith, Johnny Van Der Meer, Erik Hanson, Don Newcombe, Bill Hands, John Montefusco, Rick Porcello, Ron Villone, Joe Borowski, Ron Perranoski

Bench: Goose Goslin, Sean Casey, Jason Heyward, Kid Gleason, Hardy Richardson

Pitching sucks. Outfield is solid. Infield blows.

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's called Northeast Delta Dental Stadium now. One of my boys was a pretty darn good baseball player, but he's a few years older than you and they were still playing high school games at Gill Stadium and the school fields when he was at West. .
My senior year was the first year they held the championship in that stadium. Up until then it was at Memorial Field in Concord. I've never played at Gill. Played at Holman plenty of times though.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Arizona surprisingly doesn't have enough for a full (decent) roster but here are some notables:

(tons of players that went to HS or moved to AZ years after their birth like Paul Konerko for example, and ASU/UofA have produced tons of pros so it's weird to see how shallow the talent is here)

-Ian Kinsler
-Kole Calhoun
-Andre Ethier
-JJ Hardy
-Shea Hillenbrand
-Tommy Joseph
-Tom Wilhelmsen
-Jeremy Affeldt
-Chris and Shelley Duncan
-Dallas Braden
-DJ Carrasco
-Eric Sorgard
-Brian Bannister

Probably missing a few, this was off the top of my head

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But Alabama's outfield:

LF- Billy Williams
CF- Willie Mays
RF- Hank Aaron

CA might have a better overall team, but nobody's beating that outfield.
Not arguing that is an impressive OF, but...

Without doing ANY research, California boasts Ted, Barry and Ricky roaming their outfield with Joe D coming off the bench...

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Without doing ANY research, California boasts Ted, Barry and Ricky roaming their outfield with Joe D coming off the bench...

You've gotta do the correct positions. You've got either Ted or Barry in LF, Joe D in CF and you're gonna have to come up with a RF cause Ricky played LF too. Kinda cheap to try to make your 3 starting OFers out of 3 loeft fielders. I used correct positions, so should you.

And regardless, I'm taking Hank and Willie and Billy over anything you throw out there. Greatest CF ever and second greatest RF ever(second only to Maryland native, Babe Ruth) CA might have more depth, but the starting 3 goes to Bama in the OF. Plus there's two HOFers for the OF coming off the bench in Heinie Manush and Monte Irvin.

Kind of cheap to try to start 3 LFers IMO.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
New Jersey

C: John Romano
1B: Erik Karros
2B: Eric Young
3B: Todd Frazier
SS: Derek Jeter
OF: Billy Hamilton
OF: Joe "Ducky" Medwick
OF: Mike Trout

P: Al Leiter, Al Downing, Andy Messersmith, Johnny Van Der Meer, Erik Hanson, Don Newcombe, Bill Hands, John Montefusco, Rick Porcello, Ron Villone, Joe Borowski, Ron Perranoski

Bench: Goose Goslin, Sean Casey, Jason Heyward, Kid Gleason, Hardy Richardson

Pitching sucks. Outfield is solid. Infield blows.

Which Billy Hamilton? Deadball era Phillies and Braves CF or today's Reds CF?

jwolt92

The voice of fuckin reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 68,125.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Illinois

C:
Tom Prince/Joe Girardi
1B: Jim Thome
2B: Ben Zobrist/Jason Kipnis
3B: Gary Gaetti
SS: Robin Yount/Lou Boudreau
OF: Ricky Henderson, Kirby Puckett, Fred Lynn, Shawn Greene, Cliff Floyd, Curtis Granderson
P: Bret Saberhagen, Todd Van Poppel, Jeff Fassero, Kirk Rueter, Jason Isringhausen, Mark Mulder

Manager:
Whitey Herzog

decent enough team, not going to terrify anybody but solid outside of pitching

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And Ricky Henderson is from Chicago. Don't cheat here man, CA has the best team in the country, but Bama has the best OF. No need to steal from other states and use 3 left fielders in the OF, one of whom doesn't even qualify for the CA team.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rickey was born in Chicago, but grew up in Oakland,

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rickey was born in Chicago, but grew up in Oakland,

And I could have put Johnny Mize at third base or been a pussy and used a DH to have both Mize and Thomas as starters and had a much stronger lineup for Georgia, but that's not how it works.

And it's where you're born that counts in this thread.

Henderson goes on the Illinois team.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You've gotta do the correct positions. You've got either Ted or Barry in LF, Joe D in CF and you're gonna have to come up with a RF cause Ricky played LF too. Kinda cheap to try to make your 3 starting OFers out of 3 loeft fielders. I used correct positions, so should you.

And regardless, I'm taking Hank and Willie and Billy over anything you throw out there. Greatest CF ever and second greatest RF ever(second only to Maryland native, Babe Ruth) CA might have more depth, but the starting 3 goes to Bama in the OF. Plus there's two HOFers for the OF coming off the bench in Heinie Manush and Monte Irvin.

Kind of cheap to try to start 3 LFers IMO.
No question that the defense is a no brainer in your direction. But Rickey played some center during his career, so put him there (with his wheels AND bat, you want him in the lineup, either way; he would be able to handle cf, even if there wouldn't be a comparison between he and Mays). As for Ted or Barry in right, I can't speak to Ted's arm, but earlier in Barry's career, he had a passable arm, so I would put him in right.

The defensive argument I think makes the Bama OF stronger, granted. But when you have 2 of the 4 greatest all-time OF bats (Babe and Mays) playing the wings, I think you will be alright. And Henderson I rate as a top 10 all time outfielder (probably higher than that).

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No question that the defense is a no brainer in your direction. But Rickey played some center during his career, so put him there (with his wheels AND bat, you want him in the lineup, either way; he would be able to handle cf, even if there wouldn't be a comparison between he and Mays). As for Ted or Barry in right, I can't speak to Ted's arm, but earlier in Barry's career, he had a passable arm, so I would put him in right.

The defensive argument I think makes the Bama OF stronger, granted. But when you have 2 of the 4 greatest all-time OF bats (Babe and Mays) playing the wings, I think you will be alright. And Henderson I rate as a top 10 all time outfielder (probably higher than that).

I think the CA outfield would be stronger with Ted in left, Dimaggio in center and Bonds in right than making room for Henderson who in my book wouldn't qualify for the CA team. For states like NH, where the talent pool is much smaller, I might make a concession for transplants, but for the most talent rich state out there in CA, it'd be hard to get me to bend on that one, especially when CA is loaded across the board. By far the best overall team of the states, but just for the OF, I'd give the nod to Bama.

Georgia's team might be top 10.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I could have put Johnny Mize at third base or been a pussy and used a DH to have both Mize and Thomas as starters and had a much stronger lineup for Georgia, but that's not how it works.

And it's where you're born that counts in this thread.

Henderson goes on the Illinois team.
Well, if you are changing the rules mid-way (born was never stated. ), fine. But he left Chicago for Cali when he was 2. Calling him a Chicagoan is stretchier than Stretch Armstrong and Plasticman's love child while he is being babysat by Reed Richards.

But now Cali has a legit CF.

jwolt92

The voice of fuckin reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 68,125.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Team Illinois has officially assigned Ricky to left field, due to his birth in Chicago

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, if you are changing the rules mid-way (born was never stated. ), fine. But he left Chicago for Cali when he was 2. Calling him a Chicagoan is stretchier than Stretch Armstrong and Plasticman's love child while he is being babysat by Reed Richards.

But now Cali has a legit CF.

I didn't know stating born there was a something needed to be stated, I assumed that would be the assumption by those posting in the thread.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't know stating born there was a something needed to be stated, I assumed that would be the assumption by those posting in the thread.
My brother was born in NJ, but the family moved to Cali when he was about 1.

Give you 3 guesses where he says he is from when asked (and your first two guesses don't count).