• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Make an all time team using players from your home state

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well if you use @calsnowskier rules, you could use Chipper at third since he has a ranch there now.
You changed the rules to "born" midway. It's pretty lame and makes the research side way too easy since baseball-reference let's you break it down by state they were born in. Henderson is from California and it's stupid to argue otherwise.

Hook'Em0608

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Greg Maddux was born in Texas but I didn't mind using him since he was a military brat and lived overseas most of his childhood before settling in Nevada in high school. He really didn't have a defined upbringing anywhere. But...I'm typically a where they were raised not where they were born guy for athletes.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Greg Maddux was born in Texas but I didn't mind using him since he was a military brat and lived overseas most of his childhood before settling in Nevada in high school. He really didn't have a defined upbringing anywhere. But...I'm typically a where they were raised not where they were born guy for athletes.
While there isn't any obvious answer that works across the board, I typically look at where the person became who they are. If someone was born in location A, but moved to location B at the age of 2, and has always identified with location B his entire life, than yea, he is "from" location B.

If someone else was born in location X, moved at the age of 2 to location Y and to location Z at age 5 then continued that trend up to or through high school, than I guess I would go safe and simply not include him in a study like this, but I would be OK with using him for location X since nowhere else would really have a legit claim to him.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You changed the rules to "born" midway. It's pretty lame and makes the research side way too easy since baseball-reference let's you break it down by state they were born in. Henderson is from California and it's stupid to argue otherwise.

I never changed the rule. It's one I assumed would be the first thought for anyone. With smaller states like NH, yeah, I could bend a little bit there, but for a guy from CA to use a guy born in Chicago and try to make an entire outfield out of left fielders, I'm gonna call BS.

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never changed the rule. It's one I assumed would be the first thought for anyone. With smaller states like NH, yeah, I could bend a little bit there, but for a guy from CA to use a guy born in Chicago and try to make an entire outfield out of left fielders, I'm gonna call BS.
I'll agree with the position thing, that's fine. But when you say "from your home state" then I assume you mean "from your home state" not "born in your home state".

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll agree with the position thing, that's fine. But when you say "from your home state" then I assume you mean "from your home state" not "born in your home state".

Where you are born is your home state, unless it's something like the dude you mentioned who was born at a hospital in Vermont because it was the nearest hospital.

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where you are born is your home state, unless it's something like the dude you mentioned who was born at a hospital in Vermont because it was the nearest hospital.
2-Joe-Dirt-quotes.jpg

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well then I guess my home state isn't NH. I'll try to make a list of greatest baseball players born in Iceland. I might actually make the team.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well then I guess my home state isn't NH. I'll try to make a list of greatest baseball players born in Iceland. I might actually make the team.

Where you are born is important, otherwise, you'd legally be allowed to be president.

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where you are born is important, otherwise, you'd legally be allowed to be president.
Sure, it's important. Doesn't mean that's where I'm from or that Iceland is my home country.

SU Nittany Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,096.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
South Dakota (hopefully we can manage our way to a victory):

C-
1B- Terry Francona
2B- Mark Ellis
3B- Kermit Wahl
SS- Marv Olson
LF- Dave Collins
CF- Carroll Hardy
RF- Jason Kubel

BN-
BN-
BN-
BN-
BN-

SP- Jim Scott
SP- Floyd Bannister
SP- Terry Forster
SP- Raleigh Aitchison
SP- Brandon Claussen

BP- Rube Fischer
BP- John Strohmayer
BP- Tom Hausman
BP- Sean Doolittle
BP- Kerry Lightenberg
BP- Justin Duchscherer
CL- Keith Foulke

Manager: Sparky Anderson
Bench Coach: Terry Francona

BigFin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Florida

C Mike Napoli
1B Fred McGriff
2B Daniel Murphy
SS Jay Bell
3B Chipper Jones
LF Tim Raines
CF Andre Dawson
RF Gary Sheffield

SP Steve Carlton
SP Dwight Gooden
SP Zack Greinke
SP Gio Gonzalez
SP Alex Fernandez

Bullpen
Bobby Thigpen
Tom Gordon
Jay Howell
Tim Wakefield

Bench
Anthony Rizzo
Andrew McCutchen
Luis Gonzalez
Boog Powell
Steve Garvey
Manny Machado

Jose Fernandez

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was just creating the team based off where the player was born. However, I'm sure someone could make an awesome Cuban born team.
They'd be good at 1st (Palmeiro or Perez), SS (Campaneris), LF (Minoso), RF (Oliva), DH (Canseco), plus a solid rotation in Tiant, Pascual, Fernandez, Luque, and Cuellar. Chapman as the closer.

They'd be pretty bad at every other position.

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Born in Iowa:
1B - Cap Anson (HOF)
2B - Gene Baker, Denis Menke (Both All-Star)
SS - Dave Bancroft (HOF)
3B - Casey Blake (13 yr pro)
C - Tim Laudner (AS)
OF - Fred Clark (HOF)
OF - Ryan Sweeney (9 yr pro)
OF - John Wathan (10 yr pro)

P - Bob Feller (HOF)
p - Red Faber (HOF)
P - Dazzy Vance (HOF)
p - Mike Boddicker (AS)
P - Shane Rawley (AS)
P - Joe Magrane (AS)