• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Magic Johnson Is Returning To The Lakers - YES

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kupchuck's days are numbered. Magic is going to find the solution. AND, when he does, we will see a franchise revival that will be amazing. When your this deep in the muck, you need major change
if they can find a way to get out from under Deng's and Mozgov's contracts and use that money to sign free agents that will actually help the Lakers get better Lakers fans should worship the ground Magic walks on (dont they already though?)

Mozgov just got a DNP-CD......in the first year of a 4 year 65 million dollar deal. YIKES.

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if they can find a way to get out from under Deng's and Mozgov's contracts and use that money to sign free agents that will actually help the Lakers get better Lakers fans should worship the ground Magic walks on (dont they already though?)

Mozgov just got a DNP-CD......in the first year of a 4 year 65 million dollar deal. YIKES.

Thats one area Magic will address. But Kupchuck made the contracts so burdensome it will take another two years to move them.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No he is arguably one of the worst.

Actually, he's not. He's one of the more well respected GM's in the league. It's Jim that everyone complains about. It appears that the only real issue with him is that he has been too much of a stickler for the rules when it comes to FA, which has resulted in the Lakers starting the last few FA periods playing catch up.

The Deng and Mozgov signings weren't good (I really wish there were team options on those 4th years) , but there was a salary floor they had to get to and he knew they weren't getting any true difference makers, so he went with solid vets/locker room guys.

Deng and Mozgov haven't produced much on the floor, but they have done a great job mentoring the kids. Particularly Mozgov mentoring Zubac and Deng mentoring Russell and Ingram.

LogicMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, he's not. He's one of the more well respected GM's in the league. It's Jim that everyone complains about. It appears that the only real issue with him is that he has been too much of a stickler for the rules when it comes to FA, which has resulted in the Lakers starting the last few FA periods playing catch up.

The Deng and Mozgov signings weren't good (I really wish there were team options on those 4th years) , but there was a salary floor they had to get to and he knew they weren't getting any true difference makers, so he went with solid vets/locker room guys.

Deng and Mozgov haven't produced much on the floor, but they have done a great job mentoring the kids. Particularly Mozgov mentoring Zubac and Deng mentoring Russell and Ingram.

In a world where men cant agree to cordially disagree I believe here you and I can. You simply cannot give Mozgov that deal, no way no how

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In a world where men cant agree to cordially disagree I believe here you and I can. You simply cannot give Mozgov that deal, no way no how

Don't get me wrong, I think it was too much money and definitely too many years. I just understand the thinking and why they did what they did. I also give both Deng and Mozgov credit for contributing something to the team.

The unfortunate thing is that most of what they are contributing isn't readily visible by looking at their play on the court (which is ultimately where a players value is determined). Plus, when you are in the position the Lakers were in the off season (which wasn't entirely their fault), sometimes you have to hand out a bad contract or 2.

At least they weren't the worst FA signings.

LogicMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will give him credit for one thing............Ingram. I think with 20 pounds, this kid is going to be a star.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will give him credit for one thing............Ingram. I think with 20 pounds, this kid is going to be a star.

What about Clarkson, Nance and Zubac?

The Gasol trade?

Manufacturing picks when they had none, some by being unable to unload what was left of Andrew Bynum?

:noidea:

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Five Trades Lakers Should Consider At The NBA Trade Deadline - Lakers Nation
I almost thing Deng is worse....Deng is for more money, is older, and really struggles at the 3.....he is basically an undersized 4 at this point at the most.

both are disasters- coming off the bench in year 1 of 4 year deals that totaled almost 140 million combined.

Think of that- for the next 3 years AFTER this year--- if the salary cap is about 100 million- about a third of your cap is committed to Deng and Mozgov.

that is absolutely crippling.

Mozgov at least can guard the rim a little bit, and protect the young guys defensively a little bit. I think he has a little more value then Deng.

I thought Deng looked positively cooked 3 years ago- he kind of had a mini-resurgence in Miami as primarily a stretch 4, but it appears the wheels have really fallen off.

I mean- the Bulls would not give Deng 13 million a year 3 years ago...the Wizards were in the bidding for him and thought they had traction on a deal thats overall value was almost half of what hte Lakers signed Deng for.

if they want to get rid of either guy it will mean they have to tie a substantial asset or two to each one- or take back a bad contract.

in the above link a guy has a couple deals where one of them is moved--- taking back like Asik etc. (another disaster contract for the Pel's).

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What about Clarkson, Nance and Zubac?

The Gasol trade?

Manufacturing picks when they had none, some by being unable to unload what was left of Andrew Bynum?

:noidea:
letting Pau and Howard walk for nothing certainly did not jump-start the rebuild. I think those were major missed opportunities and came from a place of pure self-denial from Jim.

Nance, Zubac and Clarkson have been nice later round- adds though. Each seems to have some value...however, often times its hard to truly get an accurate value on guys like that on losing teams.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ingram definitely has the highest ceiling.

Its interesting that he has played BY FAR the most minutes out of any rookie. Though his numbers are atrocious, thats not wholly unexpected when you throw a 19 year old twig like him into the fire and play him so many minutes on a really bad team.

As i have said on here before- i think you have to be a little careful not to ruin him--- but throwing the guy into the fire and getting him experience at such a young age and making him fight through it can also be beneficial.

I think if I was to pick any one of these Lakers to be an All Star 5 years from now, id probably have to go with Ingram.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
letting Pau and Howard walk for nothing certainly did not jump-start the rebuild. I think those were major missed opportunities and came from a place of pure self-denial from Jim.

Nance, Zubac and Clarkson have been nice later round- adds though. Each seems to have some value...however, often times its hard to truly get an accurate value on guys like that on losing teams.

Yeah, the Howard thing is definitely on Jim. Mitch saw the writing on the wall, Jim thought the Lakers being the Lakers would be enough to get Howard to stay. There's a little more to the Pau situation. Pau wanted to remain a Laker, but he also wanted to have a shot at another title. He waited to see if the Lakers could land someone else before deciding to leave. In a sense, Pau unintentionally screwed the Lakers by wanting to stay and the Lakers screwed themselves by botching their FA pitches.

I don't necessarily buy the "guys putting up numbers on a bad team" argument. People said that about Love when he wasn't playing well. No one is saying that now.

Plus, it's one thing when it's one guy who is truly standing out on a bad team, especially if it's a bad veteran team. Nance, Zubac and Clarkson are all young guys learning the game on team with several other young guys learning the game.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I almost thing Deng is worse....Deng is for more money, is older, and really struggles at the 3.....he is basically an undersized 4 at this point at the most.

Yeah, at least Mozgov is young enough that if he can get his confidence back, he might be able to return to something close to the player he was before he got hurt.

Deng is just going to get older. He plays hard and there are occasional glimpses of the player he used to be, but it's clear he just doesn't have it anymore. Maybe he'll retire before his contract is up? :noidea:

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My thing is yes, the Moz/Deng contracts are bad, but I'm not as bothered by it because we had no shot at beating GS or SA regardless in the next few years. As for Kupchak, I did see the report of how he waits too
late to talk to free agents and how we've missed out on lesser names playing the waiting game, or basically what we've been telling you guys for years now, when everyone wanted to blame only Kobe.
But Kupchak has made some really good moves and continues to find steals over the years from the last title teams to now, whether it be by trade, or the 2nd rounds of drafts. It is going to be interesting however as it seems that Jeanie may clear house, leaving open a chance for us to make a godfather offer for whomever

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is going to be interesting however as it seems that Jeanie may clear house, leaving open a chance for us to make a godfather offer for whomever

The way things are going and with the plan apparently that ultimately, Magic will call the shots, it's looking to me like the Lakers will keep Mitch and Jim in their current positions, but with Jim's role greatly reduced and Magic helping Mitch with FA meetings, etc. (sort of as a "closer").

From the sound of what is being said, it looks like Magic's role will be similar to Dr. Buss in that he will be in charge of nothing, but influence everything by making sure he has the right people and empowering them to do their jobs.

One thing he has already done that I really liked is that he called other teams and agents and asked about the Lakers to get a feel for what their reputation is around the league. The NBA, probably more than any other professional sport, seems to be about relationships, and there are few better than Magic at relationship building.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm surprised Magic would be so publicly clear about what his plans.

-----------------------------------------------
Magic Johnson said he wants to “call the shots’’ for the Los Angeles Lakers, a week after it was announced he has rejoined the team as an adviser to owner Jeanie Buss.

“Working to call the shots, because it only works that way,’’ Johnson told USA TODAY Sports when asked what he hopes his role with the franchise will be. “Right now I’m advising. I get that. But at the end of the day, then we all got to come together and somebody’s got to say, ‘I’m making the final call,’ all right? And who’s that going to be?

“So, we’ll see what happens.’’

It's a dumb move because it's completely unnecessary. He's been an advisor for like a week and he's publicly announcing for more say so (what he's describing is Jim Buss' job). Just shut up. There's no need to add extra drama to a situation that doesn't need it. Just wait it out. Don't even give a whiff of dirty laundry.

But personally, it doesn't surprise me all that much. He's been subtly taking jabs at Jim Buss ever since Dr. Buss started grooming Jim years and years ago and dropped the subtly to go for outright shots at Jim after Dr. Buss died. In my personal opinion, Magic has always been jealous that Dr. Buss, despite the two being very very close, never turned franchise decision making power over to him and that it instead went to his children (especially Jim).

larryjohn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a dumb move because it's completely unnecessary. He's been an advisor for like a week and he's publicly announcing for more say so (what he's describing is Jim Buss' job). Just shut up. There's no need to add extra drama to a situation that doesn't need it. Just wait it out. Don't even give a whiff of dirty laundry.

But personally, it doesn't surprise me all that much. He's been subtly taking jabs at Jim Buss ever since Dr. Buss started grooming Jim years and years ago and dropped the subtly to go for outright shots at Jim after Dr. Buss died. In my personal opinion, Magic has always been jealous that Dr. Buss, despite the two being very very close, never turned franchise decision making power over to him and that it instead went to his children (especially Jim).

Magic Johnson Believes It Will Take 2-3 Years To Make The Lakers A West Contender

“It’s going to take time and we know that,’’ said Johnson, the Hall-of-Famer who played for the Lakers from 1979-91 and played 32 games during the 1995-96 season. “I’m not going to fool nobody and I don’t want the fan base to think, ‘Oh, I’m back, so it’s going to turn around tomorrow.’ It doesn’t work like that.”

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Magic Johnson Believes It Will Take 2-3 Years To Make The Lakers A West Contender

“It’s going to take time and we know that,’’ said Johnson, the Hall-of-Famer who played for the Lakers from 1979-91 and played 32 games during the 1995-96 season. “I’m not going to fool nobody and I don’t want the fan base to think, ‘Oh, I’m back, so it’s going to turn around tomorrow.’ It doesn’t work like that.”

that sounds about right...another 2-3 years before they are in position to possibly win a playoff series.

You never know though. Thinks move fast in the NBA.

The Warriors look invincible now- but they have some major cap issues to deal with considering Curry and Durant will both be making 36 million a year next year and they have to use cap space to resign Durant.

it basically means that spots 5 through XXXXX have to be filled out with pretty much league minimum guys, with a couple exceptions like the mini-midlevel, some veteran exceptions avaliable.

Thats obviously why they are trying to develop guys like McCaw even if they kinda suck right now as rookies- why they signed that dleague guy- they know that they will need those type of guys in the future- since it looks close to impossible to bring back livingston and iguadala and equally as impossible to replace them with anything but left over type players.

its why i continue to give Griffin and Gilbert credit for adding players like Korver and Frye to the team- legit bench players. Its not easy to do unless you have a GM that is as creative as Griffin paired iwth an owner that will spend like Gilbert.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, that's the thing with Magic though. Dude gets asked a question and he's going to give an honest answer whether he should or not.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, that's the thing with Magic though. Dude gets asked a question and he's going to give an honest answer whether he should or not.
I think it was a more realistic response than the ones Jim Buss was hanging two-three years ago when he guaranteed the Lakers to be contenders of he would step down. When Magic retired from the NBA,it was ten years before the Lakers became realistic, five after Kobe retired, so to me common sense indicated that it could take five years or more.