• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Magic Johnson Is Returning To The Lakers - YES

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Breaking news - Johnson is returning to the Lakers as an advisor to Jeannie Buss. Johnson still owns a small share of the Lakers and will not have to give up his share for this role. This is a huge step for the Lakers that makes me well...

:hammer::thrasher::yes::yes::yes:

is he trying to get some of that Phil Jackson sloppy seconds?

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
GROSS.

It seems like Magic is basically going to be an advisor- its not like he is going to be there grinding everday with his sleeves rolled up.

He is still keeping his Analyst gig with ESPN.

he seems like a guy the real front office will bounce ideas off of, and be available when the team meets with free agents- more so then a guy who actually sits down and plots out strategy and salary cap issues etc.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe that the general problem with rebuilding the Lakers through free agency is that that the players in the NBA do not know who or what Jeannie Buss or Jim Buss are. The history of the Lakers belongs to Jerry Buss who was the vision and his decision making process. By bringing in Magic Johnson into talking to free agents, the players are more likely to be open minded about signing with the Lakers. That's all the Lakers want - is that opportunity. Magic isn't thinking about Phil Jackson and neither is the Buss family. Phil is the Knicks headache

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe that the general problem with rebuilding the Lakers through free agency is that that the players in the NBA do not know who or what Jeannie Buss or Jim Buss are. The history of the Lakers belongs to Jerry Buss who was the vision and his decision making process. By bringing in Magic Johnson into talking to free agents, the players are more likely to be open minded about signing with the Lakers. That's all the Lakers want - is that opportunity. Magic isn't thinking about Phil Jackson and neither is the Buss family. Phil is the Knicks headache
the new CBA is going to have the effect of pretty much seeing the best of the best free agents staying put---- but i def. think Magic being in the room can only help things.

players want to win and players want to get paid is what it comes down to- if Magic/Jimmy Buss/or the Ghost of Red Auerback or Dr. Buss are in the room- the most important things to these guys are 1. Winning and 1b. Money...if you can offer the most of both you prob got a good shot.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
GROSS.

It seems like Magic is basically going to be an advisor- its not like he is going to be there grinding everday with his sleeves rolled up.

he seems like a guy the real front office will bounce ideas off of, and be available when the team meets with free agents- more so then a guy who actually sits down and plots out strategy and salary cap issues etc.
Yes, but keep in mind that Magic Johnson in the past has been openly critical of the decisions made by the front office. To have a highly successful former player who won five championships, went to the finals 8 out of ten times and led the team to victory in the finals as a rookie, giving approval and support - I think that improves on everything they do.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, but keep in mind that Magic Johnson in the past has been openly critical of the decisions made by the front office. To have a highly successful former player who won five championships, went to the finals 8 out of ten times and led the team to victory in the finals as a rookie, giving approval and support - I think that improves on everything they do.
i think thats good though- you want contrarian voices in there - a good system of checks and balances instead of just deferring and having a group-think mentality... (i think thats how you get sigings like Mozgov and Deng- groupthink and no one stepping up and telling Jimmy to slow his roll).

Magic will have the ability to look at things objectively and be able to say- WHOA WHOA- wtf is going on, does this make sense?-----or- great idea- i totally agree with this!- its just nice to have another check and balance who has a good idea of what they are doing.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the new CBA is going to have the effect of pretty much seeing the best of the best free agents staying put---- but i def. think Magic being in the room can only help things.

players want to win and players want to get paid is what it comes down to- if Magic/Jimmy Buss/or the Ghost of Red Auerback or Dr. Buss are in the room- the most important things to these guys are 1. Winning and 1b. Money...if you can offer the most of both you prob got a good shot.
Seems like to me that there has already been a trend with teams building through the draft over time and less movement, but I watch and pay attention mostly to the Lakers and am a long ways from being the sharpest observer. If the Lakers, however could pick up some one like Cousins in the free agency in the next two years, well damn, that would change it but I like what the Lakers have.

If the Lakers were to get super-lucky and get a top three pick again this year - that would really be a delicious cookie

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think thats good though- you want contrarian voices in there - a good system of checks and balances instead of just deferring and having a group-think mentality... (i think thats how you get sigings like Mozgov and Deng).

Magic will have the ability to look at things objectively and be able to say- WHOA WHOA- wtf is going on, does this make sense?-----or- great idea- i totally agree with this!- its just nice to have another check and balance who has a good idea of what they are doing.
Oh absolutely and think about it. If your name is Porzingis for example, you just became an elite player and you are free agent and you want out of town for a change. Jeannie and Jim shows off the trophies and makes the pitch, and you know enough to know they didn't do that - and it was Pappa Buss, you walk away saying to yourself - they are full shit. To a young kid like Porzingis, Jeannie looks too old to have romantic dreams about - that's for old farts like me - :lol:. Magic Johnson, however is a man that everyone is going to note and when Magic says "Look man, this team is going to be a contender with you on board. We are going to build around you" Magic Johnson's success is going to be taken more seriously.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like to me that there has already been a trend with teams building through the draft over time and less movement, but I watch and pay attention mostly to the Lakers and am a long ways from being the sharpest observer. If the Lakers, however could pick up some one like Cousins in the free agency in the next two years, well damn, that would change it but I like what the Lakers have.

If the Lakers were to get super-lucky and get a top three pick again this year - that would really be a delicious cookie
1. Def a trend towards teams building through the draft- free agency is just way to unpredicatable- and every successive CBA has limited the likelihood of free agents moving- and this last one REALLY did that to the very high level free agents.

2. If they keep that top 3 pick it would be huge. The Sixers had to use a lot of lotto picks before they found a centerpiece guy--- Noel, Okafor, Saric, etc- have value but dont look like centerpiece guys- Embiid is one for sure- but he has injury issues- Simmons could be one too----- my point is- the more swings you get at it- the better- and sometimes you have to hit the right draft- this seems to be the right draft where you can get a centerpiece guy with a top 3 pick.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh absolutely and think about it. If your name is Porzingis for example, you just became an elite player and you are free agent and you want out of town for a change. Jeannie and Jim shows off the trophies and makes the pitch, and you know enough to know they didn't do that - and it was Pappa Buss, you walk away saying to yourself - they are full shit. To a young kid like Porzingis, Jeannie looks too old to have romantic dreams about - that's for old farts like me - :lol:. Magic Johnson, however is a man that everyone is going to note and when Magic says "Look man, this team is going to be a contender with you on board. We are going to build around you" Magic Johnson's success is going to be taken more seriously.
I would DEF take Magic Johnson a LOT MORE seriously then wittle Jimmy thats for sure. lol....

the challenge is getting the free agent---- as i had to explain to people with Kyrie--- guys coming off their rookie deals never turn down max contracts--- you have to get the high level guys on their 2nd contract- and the new CBA allows for the designated player max which is just BONKERS cash to pass up to leave somewhere.

there will be a market for secondary free agents most likely- like the LaMARcus Aldridge level- not quite good enough to get a designated player extension- but still an All Star level player.....those will be the type of guys that i think the Lakers will have to target if they want to make an impact from free agency.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Def a trend towards teams building through the draft- free agency is just way to unpredicatable- and every successive CBA has limited the likelihood of free agents moving- and this last one REALLY did that to the very high level free agents.

2. If they keep that top 3 pick it would be huge. The Sixers had to use a lot of lotto picks before they found a centerpiece guy--- Noel, Okafor, Saric, etc- have value but dont look like centerpiece guys- Embiid is one for sure- but he has injury issues- Simmons could be one too----- my point is- the more swings you get at it- the better- and sometimes you have to hit the right draft- this seems to be the right draft where you can get a centerpiece guy with a top 3 pick.
A lot of teams have tried rebuilding through the draft and it took them more than a decade. The Clippers was one, and they still aren't contenders if you ask me. I do think, however that I would have given the Knicks Rivers for Carmelo. The Clippers would be short a point guard to back up Chris Paul who has totally fucked up one of my fantasy teams, but their front court would once healthy would be Carmelo-Griffin-Jordan-Chris Paul and what's his name. That would be a huge improvement and the reserves will get less minutes in the playoffs any way.

My point is that the Lakers have a pretty good team of rookies all things considered in a short amount of time

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would DEF take Magic Johnson a LOT MORE seriously then wittle Jimmy thats for sure. lol....

the challenge is getting the free agent---- as i had to explain to people with Kyrie--- guys coming off their rookie deals never turn down max contracts--- you have to get the high level guys on their 2nd contract- and the new CBA allows for the designated player max which is just BONKERS cash to pass up to leave somewhere.

there will be a market for secondary free agents most likely- like the LaMARcus Aldridge level- not quite good enough to get a designated player extension- but still an All Star level player.....those will be the type of guys that i think the Lakers will have to target if they want to make an impact from free agency.

The Lakers have always been able to land big time free agents. Magic Johnson brings that possibility back to the fold. The only thing that would be better, would be to bring back Jerry West as president of operations with Kupchak and Johnson running the show under him. Just picture what happens with that

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lakers have always been able to land big time free agents. Magic Johnson brings that possibility back to the fold. The only thing that would be better, would be to bring back Jerry West as president of operations with Kupchak and Johnson running the show under him. Just picture what happens with that
i can remember shaq as a big time free agent.....other than that?

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

On this note, I don't have a lot of hope that the Lakers will be ready to take their team to the next level with even a mediocre signing. I think in 2018, however that will be the Lakers big summer

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i can remember shaq as a big time free agent.....other than that?
Pau Gaol was traded, but then he stayed and signed. The Lakers resigned Kobe as a free agent, they signed Karl Malone, but he was already old. They had Jerry West, Kareem, Wilt Chamberlain, and others. Some of the others in here would actually remember all of them. I would have research it. Magic as I recall was a draft that the Lakers got for Elgin Baylor who then was injured with a season ending career with Utah. I wonder if Utah has ever felt resentment that they gave Magic Johnson to the Lakers for nothing. Can you imagine what Malone, Magic Johnson and I think it was Stocton at the time could have done?

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pau Gaol was traded, but then he stayed and signed. The Lakers resigned Kobe as a free agent, they signed Karl Malone, but he was already old. They had Jerry West, Kareem, Wilt Chamberlain, and others. Some of the others in here would actually remember all of them. I would have research it. Magic as I recall was a draft that the Lakers got for Elgin Baylor who then was injured with a season ending career with Utah. I wonder if Utah has ever felt resentment that they gave Magic Johnson to the Lakers for nothing. Can you imagine what Malone, Magic Johnson and I think it was Stocton at the time could have done?
the Cavs traded the 1st round pick to the Lakers that became James Worthy for a basically bullshit.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the Cavs traded the 1st round pick to the Lakers that became James Worthy for a basically bullshit.
Makes you wonder why any one would trust the Lakers in a trade:lol:

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forget the 5% thing but mostly going by that interview in which he sited everything you can imagine about being involved with the team.

Here's the thing though. He's not going to be in charge of anything, but he will influence many things.

He'll mentor the young guys. Help sell FA's on coming to the Lakers. He'll be someone that Jeanie trusts to discuss various decisions and lend advice. He'll be available to assist Luke with anything he may need and of course, he'll likely be the one handling pressers for any big announcements.

So, he won't have final say on anything, but he'll be listened to and any advice he gives will be taken very seriously.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
GROSS.

^^^THIS^^^

As I said in my previous post, he will be in charge of nothing, but influence many things. I think his most important roles will be as someone Jeanie can trust to discuss decisions with, being the "frontman" with the media and in meeting with FA's.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
great comrprehenseive article from Ramona Shelbourne about the Lakers, Magic's return, and the future of wittle Jimmy. Article seems to show how their is a lot of mistrust between the Jeanie/Magic side and the Jim/Kupchak side.

What's next for Magic Johnson and the Lakers?

some surprising things in here- including the Lakers could of had Isiah Thomas if not for waiting on Carmelo Anthony.

ALTHOUGH MAGIC IS said to be personally fond of Kupchak, who joined the Lakers' front office in 1986, about halfway through Magic's playing career, he's also determined to make an honest evaluation of the general manager's performance and abilities in today's NBA.

According to sources close to the situation, Magic has already heard from agents and executives from other teams that Kupchak's deliberate style can be frustrating to deal with and has probably cost the Lakers in free agency in recent years, missing out on a list of names that includes Isaiah Thomas, Kent Bazemore, Kyle Lowry, Ed Davis, Trevor Ariza, Pau Gasol and Eric Gordon.

Thomas, now an MVP candidate and two-time All Star with the Boston Celtics, told Grantland's Zach Lowe in 2014, "I always envisioned myself playing with the Lakers," but they were "waiting on Carmelo [Anthony] and other moves." So Thomas took a new four-year, $28 million deal with the Phoenix Suns (via a sign-and-trade with the Sacramento Kings). The same year, the Lakers expressed interest in Lowry but told him they preferred to wait on Anthony before making their best offer to him. Lowry ended up re-signing with the Toronto Raptors while the Lakers were waiting on Anthony, who ultimately chose to stay in New York.

Part of the reason the Lakers missed out on those cases is a philosophical decision to prioritize superstar free agents above all else. But another read is that the Lakers aren't moving at the speed NBA business is now being conducted.

Said one player agent, who has dealt with Kupchak on several contracts, "He's the only GM in the league who won't engage at all before 9:01 p.m. [PT] on the first night of free agency. Then when he calls to express interest, there's no stickiness to it."

Last edited: