• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Looking at getting a reloading kit

sooner78wakeboard

Sooner Born, Sooner Bred
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been procrastinating this forever, but its time. What kind do you all got or recommend?

OnlyCrimson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I bought a Dillon Presicion RL 550B in January of last year, dies for 45-70, 45 long colt, 45 acp, 38 spl and 223. I built a super nice table and bolted it to and have yet to reload anything with it yet. I really should start putting that thing to good use. I have been saving a lot of brass though, I have over 3000 223, 500 45-70 and 1500 45 acp (guessing)

BF4L

Black/Gold Glasses
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,520.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Single stage or progressive?? Always the question

If you are just starting out I would highly suggest going with a single stage press first though. I have 2 RCBS Rock chuckers. In fact for rifle rounds I prefer these because everything is done by hand. You can get a RCBS Rockchucker fairly cheap on Ebay these days.

If you are set and want to go progressive Dillion is the best. Lifetime no bs warranty and that is really as true statement. Even if your the 4th person to own it and it breaks they will fix it for free.

As Crimson said the 550 is a really nice press. My buddy has a 650 and we use it a ton. I think the only difference between the 550 and the 650 is the 650 auto index's and the 550 does not?? I think the 550 only does pistol rounds too?? Correct me if I am wrong Crimson.

With his 650 we can easily bang out 500-600 rounds at a very easy pace in a hour.

I would stay away from the complete reloading kit deals. Most of the stuff is kinda low end.

sooner78wakeboard

Sooner Born, Sooner Bred
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If you are just starting out I would highly suggest going with a single stage press first though. I have 2 RCBS Rock chuckers. In fact for rifle rounds I prefer these because everything is done by hand. You can get a RCBS Rockchucker fairly cheap on Ebay these days.

If you are set and want to go progressive Dillion is the best. Lifetime no bs warranty and that is really as true statement. Even if your the 4th person to own it and it breaks they will fix it for free.

As Crimson said the 550 is a really nice press. My buddy has a 650 and we use it a ton. I think the only difference between the 550 and the 650 is the 650 auto index's and the 550 does not?? I think the 550 only does pistol rounds too?? Correct me if I am wrong Crimson.

With his 650 we can easily bang out 500-600 rounds at a very easy pace in a hour.
I would stay away from the complete reloading kit deals. Most of the stuff is kinda low end.

Damn! Can you go in depth abit about the difference between single stage and progressive?

sooner78wakeboard

Sooner Born, Sooner Bred
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a badass set up!

garage19-1.jpg

BF4L

Black/Gold Glasses
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,520.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure.

A lot to go over so bear with me.

All cases need to be cleaned and checked for any issues IE: Cracks etc. If you find a crack throw it out. Your life is not worth saving a couple bucks on a bad case.

After cleaning.

You need to deprime all the casings. This is done with 1 set of dies that go in the top of the rock chucker press. Basically pops out the old spent primer.

Once you have all of those deprimed you can use a priming tool RCBS makes a nice one or the press itself. Some come with a primer tube on them. Basically you put a new primer into the case.

Some vary on what should be done first and or 2nd but this is the method I have always used. Once you have all of your casings primed you need to size the case. This is done with another die that goes on top of the press and opens the mouth of the case just a bit to hold a bullet.

Next step is to powder charge the cases. You use a scale and get the exact amount needed I mean exact too. Make sure you do not double charge because that = bad news when you pull the trigger and you have double the powder.

Once that is complete. You are now ready to seat and crimp the bullet onto the case. this is done with another die on top of the rock chucker.

Here is what the RCBS Rock chucker looks like.

RC.jpg

The dillon 550 has I think 4 steps and when you pull the lever it can do multiple things. 1st station deprimes and primes. 2nd Sizes, 3rd powder charges, 4th seat a bullet and it crimps it on the case. All is done by cranking the lever through each phase.

The 650 does pretty much the same but it auto index's so you only actually put the bullet on at the end and crank and the bullet is complete.

This is what the Dillon 650 looks like.

Dillon.jpg

Now it may sound confusing but it really isnt. Patience and making sure everything is correct is very important. I am also kind of broad stroking all of this. The set up can be a pain and making sure everything is right can be difficult to achieve. Like I said though this is kind of a overview.

The big difference between the 2 is one is single stage and you have to change dies a lot. The progressive press..once set up just goes and goes

Last edited by a moderator:

BF4L

Black/Gold Glasses
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,520.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW

Rockchucker with all the needed stuff will probably run you around 300 bucks for everything needed.

Dillon will be more in the 1000-1400 range.

OnlyCrimson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn! Can you go in depth abit about the difference between single stage and progressive?

In simple terms, with a single stage the handle on the press will have to pulled 5 to 6 times per finished bullet, with a progressive once the casing has traveled to all stages a finished bullet is produced on every pull of the handle.

A single stage is like a home mechanic working on a vehicle

A progressive is ford motors assemble line.

OnlyCrimson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My 550 will reload rifle and pistol but not shotgun. As for the auto indexing I have to manually turn the carrier.

I asked a lot of people I know that reload regarding starting with single stage or going ahead and getting a progressive. Everyone of them told me that they bought a single stage first then upgraded to a progressive. They also said that they wish they had spent the money up front and bought the progressive first. I trust them and that is why I bought the progressive.

Last edited by a moderator:

OnlyCrimson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I bought a Dillon Presicion RL 550B in January of last year, dies for 45-70, 45 long colt, 45 acp, 38 spl and 223. I built a super nice table and bolted it to and have yet to reload anything with it yet. I really should start putting that thing to good use. I have been saving a lot of brass though, I have over 3000 223, 500 45-70 and 1500 45 acp (guessing)

Including the above plus a good reloading guide book, scales, cleaners, sorters, primer tubes, trays, baskets and a lot of miscellaneous stuff I spent a little over $1,000 on all of it. (just for price comparison)

BF4L

Black/Gold Glasses
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,520.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My 550 will reload rifle and pistol but not shotgun. As for the auto indexing I have to manually turn the carrier.

I asked a lot of people I know that reload regarding starting with single stage or going ahead and getting a progressive. Everyone of them told me that they bought a single stage first then upgraded to a progressive. They also said that they wish they had spent the money up front and bought the progressive first. I trust them and that is why I bought the progressive.

Fair point and 100% true. I currently looking for a progressive press myself. I am not in a rush cause I can go to my friends anytime I want and use his but it is on my list of things to get. Single stage IMO makes the newbie re loader work a little harder and learn is my point. I can certainly understand what you say though.

I was thinking of the 550 myself due to the fact that you have to manually index it. For some reason (even though I have used a 650 a bunch and never had any issues) I think I would feel better about manually moving things. It may be a bit slower but I think it is safer and better.

sooner78wakeboard

Sooner Born, Sooner Bred
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks all for posting...this has been very informative.

tumblr_mck5ikRWFK1rsy0lf.gif

BF4L

Black/Gold Glasses
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,520.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let us know what direction you go.

Plus how dare that chick show the world how large my penis is..