• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Looking ahead to next year----RB

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WVU played five running backs this season.
1. Shell had 750 yards rushing, 4.7 per carry, 7 TD, 19 catches for 130.
2. Smallwood had 650 yards rushing, 4.6 per carry, 2 TDs, 30 catches for 300.
3. Smith had 450 yards rushing, 5.7 yards per carry, 5 TDs, 10 catches for 30 yards.
4. Buie had 200 yards rushing, 4.2, 2 TDs, 6 catches for 70 yards.
5. Garrison had 100 yards rushing, 4.6, 0 TD, 2 catches for 15 yards.

WVU is losing Smith who had the best yards per carry, the longest rush of the season, and was second on the team in rushing TDs. However he had fallen out of favor with DH. He had 89 touches (run/receptions). That comes out to just over seven a game. Those seven touches a game can easily be divided between the remaining players.

WVU should be ok at running back next season.
· Shell r-jr. is a competent back especially when he has a healthy ankle.
· Smallwood jr is a threat to run and catch the ball. He was third on the team in all-purpose yards behind Alford and White with over 950 yards from scrimmage. He needs to be better at breaking tackles. His longest run of the season was only 25 yards which was the shortest of the five running backs. He also has to stop fumbling the ball near the goal line.
· Thomas-Williams r-fr. WVU’s only running back recruit from 2014. Listed at 6-1, 230. #13 RB in the 2014 class. He is here to be the big back WVU has been missing.
· Buie r-sr is a decent 4th back and runs hard. He has games where he provides a spark and games where he averages less than 3 yards a carry.
· Garrison r-sr. is a graduate transfer candidate as he will most likely be the fifth running back again next year. His best game was against Kansas where he ran the ball five times. In games this season he didn't get a single carry.

Recruits
· Deamonte Lindsay. From Martinsburg. 6-1 190. State’s #1 recruit according to ESPN. Could also play safety. #47 RB according to ESPN. Scout has him as a 2 star safety. Hard to grade him because he is clearly the best player on the field but WV competition is not the best. Runs like Eric Dickerson….a little upright.
· Alex Anderson. From Miramar. 6-0. 190. #72 RB by ESPN. #52 by Scout. G.T. and Wisconsin, two running back schools, were looking at him.
· William Cameron. From N.C. 5-10. 160. #109. by ESPN. #118 by Scout. More of “get it to him in space RB.” B.C. and Wake Forest were looking at him.

DrPhil58

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personnally, I liked Smith out of the whole bunch, but it appears his time is up. I wish Holgorsen would stick to just utilizing two backs, but have a couple more ready just in case of injuries. I prefer Smallwood in there for most of the plays and Shell for third down short yardage and goal line plays. I do like the Freshman RB they have on the roster and give him a chance to show what he can do (Dontae Thomas-Williams). Our depth at running back is good and WVU should have plenty in case of the injury bug. Who ever is at the running back position next year, I hope they just hang on to the dang ball.

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Die Hard: great work,but what are we going to do in the off season.

I don't see any great backs on the list. We have a bunch of average backs who were all relatively equal with one thing in common: Fumbles at bad times and in bad places. It will be interesting to see if DTW comes in here and blows away the competition. He is slow, but big and may be a bus of a runner.
I had high hopes from Shell, but on the field he seemed no better than Smith. He does not appear to be that fast either. Not sure how he broke all WPIAL records and was a 5 star recruit.

Next year the fastest guy in our backfield will be Crest.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm partial to Shell...I think the kid is the real deal and will have a monster next year!