• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

List of guys who could leave

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rivals.com Football Recruiting - Rivals.com Recruiting Glossary

National Letter of Intent: (Sometimes abbreviated as NLI or LOI) A binding agreement between a prospective student-athlete and an institution in which the institution agrees to provide a prospective student-athlete who is admitted to the institution and is eligible for financial aid under NCAA rules athletics aid for one academic year in exchange for the prospect's agreement to attend the institution for one academic year. All colleges and universities that participate in the NLI program agree not to recruit a prospective student-athlete once he/she signs an NLI with another college or university. Therefore, a prospective student-athlete who signs an NLI should no longer receive recruiting contacts and calls and is ensured an athletic scholarship for one academic year. The NLI must be accompanied by an institutional financial aid agreement. College coaches are not permitted to comment publicly about prospects until they sign a letter of intent

This is a hot button for me....The Student Athlete on Scholarship is a total Sham...this used to be a common argument on the CBS site whether you were for or against kids being paid...the OLD TIMERS and those with their eyes closed say well they are having their college education paid for...really??? at the end of the day really isn't true...

They are in a barter agreement with the school they attend...no monies internally change hands..if they do its monies going from one pocket to the other...total bullshit...:bullshit:

College athletics is now over a $65 BILLION Dollar enterprise....HC's making seven figures with their assistants not too far behind them.... Coach's and Schools also recieive monies from endorsement deals to video games ...all at the exploitation of 18 to 21 year old kids......

What business does anyone know exists in the United States that generates that kind of revenue and doesn't pay it's employee's?!?....

And then has the ball's to make these NLOI a year by year contract...and that they can't really work a job that pay's them..and when would they have time really...between class...practice and off season conditioning....

And if the kid gets hurt and its a career ender...then what?...sure insurance takes care of it..maybe...but the scholarship is gone..................:gaah:

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Athletic Scholarships|College Athletic Scholarship

Pros For The Multi-year Scholarship Plan

Pros For The Athletes:

At the outset, this new rule sounds like it will be all end all boon to all future generations of college athletes. Proponents of the new rule are excited and happy that finally college athletes will not lose their scholarships after an injury or a year of poor performance.
To that end, the NCAA working group headed by Middle Tennessee State President Sidney McPhee felt in proposing the multi-year grants that these past troubling issues were properly addressed and that the student/athlete’s ultimate well-being was now being served by the NCAA.
Pros For The Schools

With this new rule, the schools, especially the wealthier schools could now offer multi-year scholarship contracts, which would put them at an enormous advantage over the schools not offering the more-than-one-year athletic awards when it was time to hit the yearly recruiting road. On signing day, February 1st, 2012, eight states including Ohio State, Auburn, Michigan, Florida, Nebraska, and Michigan were the first to implement the new rule amidst much grandstanding.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will be honest I am/was for not paying these kids...this does change things a bit.

JIMKOON

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
with only 1 year commitment how can ncaa prevent movement each year if player no resigned he can go anywhere right

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will be honest I am/was for not paying these kids...this does change things a bit.

Its always been pure BS....I view it as an unfair playing field for Scholarship athletes...for example...a kid goes to school on a full ride for Art...he creates a peice of art and decides to sell it... he can do it!..

A kids at school on a music scholarship and decides to form a band and make money on the weekends!...He can do it!

Or a kid on a engineering scholarship writes a computer program and sells it..he can do it!

So it cracks me up when Maizel is being chastised for signing autographs for money at a sports memorabilia show and that is a violation!...

RICIDICULOUS!!.....:gaah:

JIMKOON

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its always been pure BS....I view it as an unfair playing field for Scholarship athletes...for example...a kid goes to school on a full ride for Art...he creates a peice of art and decides to sell it... he can do it!..

A kids at school on a music scholarship and decides to form a band and make money on the weekends!...He can do it!

Or a kid on a engineering scholarship writes a computer program and sells it..he can do it!

So it cracks me up when Maizel is being chastised for signing autographs for money at a sports memorabilia show and that is a violation!...

RICIDICULOUS!!.....:gaah:

:agree:

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A coach making 3.5 million per year is paid $41,000 per player, while the player is paid nothing. If Nick Saban takes the Texas job at 10 mil per year (or gets that from alabama), he will be paid $117,000 per player. This is completely out of hand. One way to help fix this problem.

Make every NCAA team give at least one half of their TV and conference money back to the school for academics. Cut the salaries of coaches ADs and athletic staffs in half also.

Allow athletes to receive a limited amount (ie 20k per student) of revenue through advertising outside of the college, but strictly regulated. Doing this can provide an income for student athletes while not violating Title IV and forcing the school to pay the womens rowing team the same as mens football and bball players.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A coach making 3.5 million per year is paid $41,000 per player, while the player is paid nothing. If Nick Saban takes the Texas job at 10 mil per year (or gets that from alabama), he will be paid $117,000 per player. This is completely out of hand. One way to help fix this problem.

Make every NCAA team give at least one half of their TV and conference money back to the school for academics. Cut the salaries of coaches ADs and athletic staffs in half also.

Allow athletes to receive a limited amount (ie 20k per student) of revenue through advertising outside of the college, but strictly regulated. Doing this can provide an income for student athletes while not violating Title IV and forcing the school to pay the womens rowing team the same as mens football and bball players.

I feel at minimum if their likeness is being used in video games they should get a royalty cut...and if they can go out an make a buck by an apprearance fee or autograph signing etc...good for them...

BTW BBW..that new by law is BS..though it may somewhat help a non-power school ( even though I am sure its going to have all kinds of contigencies to be able to revoke in the language) It will hamper schools from being able to over recruit their classes...ie Alabama model for recruiting...and no way are they going to hand a kid a multi year scholly...

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the rumor mill is that Buie and Carswell will not be returning to the team.

As for the pay for play, I am still against that....I would be happier if the player was locked into a 4 year scholly.

Couple of resons i am against pay for play:

All schools will not be able to do this, thus giving a bigger advantage to the "haves"

It will cost non profit sports to disappear, 85 players on one team is a big payout

Money going to players will come from non athletic students and governement funds, so not only will kids get a free ride, they will be buying that pizza with the nerdy Econ students money.

I see no correlation between a coaches salary and a students getting paid, my boss makes a sh$tload more than i do, doesn't mean I am entitled to more.

The likeness issue will be done after this year, now I will have to go through roster by roster to set them, thanks Slaton.

Education can be quantified to way more than a little bonus money here and there...room, board, and the oppurtunity for OTJ training is more than most are afforded coming out of college. That is the contract(or it should be) you come to play we educate, feed, shelter, and train you. That is the deal.

I buy tickets to see WVU, not single players, the college does more to make them who they are in the spotlight than players do the college. IMO

So in ending I am against the way the schollys are set up, not the fact kids are not being paid.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sometimes typing these things out at work sucks...

i forgot to add, while I am against paying players i am also against these coaches making millions off the student tuitions , which are mostly governement funds.

There is no easy solution to the situation since we as fans are the direct cause of inflating salaries and ticket prices. I am a proud WVU ticket holder, but it also irks me that I am part of the problem, and every year we get fuhur away from a solid solution.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I can give real world examples to other student worthy of more than jocks, research at UMD brings in about 500 million dollars to the university...dwarfs anything brought in by athletics....many of the rock star professors make well over 100 grand, while students make zilch but are on scholly.(I assure you academic schollys are not given at a 4 year pace)...you could compare a injury situation to some not making a grade and losing their scholly. Some grad students get paid depending on different factors, but then again so do athletes if they make it to their grad school/profession.

IMO...we would not be having this conversation if student athletes did not devalue their education...is it hard to go to school and play sports? Sure it is, but I see it no harder than what a lot of professionals I work with did earning their degrees.

Lots of points on this subject.

Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the answer is for the NFL to start a farm system. It is time for the NCAA to quit being the farm system for the NFL. They should draft them out of high school if they are good enough and develop them, if they don't sign out of high school then play in the farm system, they should not be able to leave college for the NFL for four years. Let the ones who want an education first get it, the ones who just want to be developed for the NFL should not be forced to go to classes. They could make their 10-15k a year in the farm system and if they don't pan out there then they could pay for an education or flip burgers at McDonald's.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the answer is for the NFL to start a farm system. It is time for the NCAA to quit being the farm system for the NFL. They should draft them out of high school if they are good enough and develop them, if they don't sign out of high school then play in the farm system, they should not be able to leave college for the NFL for four years. Let the ones who want an education first get it, the ones who just want to be developed for the NFL should not be forced to go to classes. They could make their 10-15k a year in the farm system and if they don't pan out there then they could pay for an education or flip burgers at McDonald's.

Not a bad idea, would bet money that the powers to be in the NCAA would die trying to stop it. They realize they are sitting on a money cow.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
College football is one of the fastest growing markets in America. Many give credit to the BCS. Not too sure about that… while the BCS NCG has been a monster hit in TV ratings… most of the other BCS bowls have taken a dive in both attendance and TV viewers.

The playoff will bring more drama and increased revenue.

College football will never give up being the NFL farm system.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have heard rumors in the past that a organization offered the NCAA something in the billions to run its college playoff.....if this is even remotely true and they turned it down, that just tells you how deep this money pitt goes.