• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lions receive one of two D's given by Prisco

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lions fans know that feeling well.

Yeah, and I mean. I had liked Trubisky since last fall, I just never dreamed he'd go that high, or be a Bear. I figured any QB in this class at #3 was a reach, and Ryan Pace has been such a vocal proponent of a "best player available" approach to the draft.

I mean, as a fan-base. We had actually been pretty confident in the new regime as far as talent evaluation goes. The last two drafts brought some real nice young talent on defense and o-line. The only blemish on Pace's record has been White, whose issue hasn't been ability... but bad breaks with health, that there was really zero indication of in college.

We kind of looked like we had a plan to continue building on defense, we have a good young RB/Oline and it seemed like Glennon would bridge the gap at QB until further notice. Then address the skill positions on the outside when we can realistically contend. I don't dislike Trubisky, at all. This just really re-directed the course, and it feels like we really just went all-in. When we had been seemingly playing it pretty smart. It felt like we went from "planners" to "gamblers" overnight.

The fan-base is afraid that this is going to blow up in our faces, and we'll be right back where we started two off-seasons ago. When Trestman and that front office left us with a nightmare of a mess to clean up.

I am indifferent. I'm not panicking. We gambled sure, but if the FO really had that much conviction on the kid. They did the right thing, and I'm looking forward to seeing him play. Whenever that may be... lol

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Prisco wanted to know what it would be like to not be on the receiving end of two D's.

Stomp

Lions Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | 2017 NFL Draft Report Card Report

30. Detroit Lions
GPA: 2.15
Highest Grade: B (Burke)
Lowest Grade: D (Prisco)
Comments: The Detroit Lions got quite a few low grades from the panel this year, but it wasn't necessarily due to the talent they selected. Most of the graders really like first-round inside linebacker Jarrad Davis and believe he will be a starter right away. Most also thought Teez Tabor could be an asset moving forward. The biggest issue graders had came from the lack of filling the desperate pass-rushing need the Lions have. "That's not wise in a division with Aaron Rodgers, " Pete Prisco pointed out. The Lions didn't select a pass-rusher until the sixth round of the draft. There were also mixed responses to the selections of Kenny Golladay and Jalen Reeves-Maybin as early reaches. Ultimately, the talent may be there for these players, but the Lions needs may not be supported in this draft.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | 2017 NFL Draft Report Card Report

30. Detroit Lions
Comments: The Detroit Lions got quite a few low grades from the panel this year, but it wasn't necessarily due to the talent they selected. Most of the graders really like first-round inside linebacker Jarrad Davis and believe he will be a starter right away. Most also thought Teez Tabor could be an asset moving forward. The biggest issue graders had came from the lack of filling the desperate pass-rushing need the Lions have. "That's not wise in a division with Aaron Rodgers, " Pete Prisco pointed out. The Lions didn't select a pass-rusher until the sixth round of the draft. There were also mixed responses to the selections of Kenny Golladay and Jalen Reeves-Maybin as early reaches. Ultimately, the talent may be there for these players, but the Lions needs may not be supported in this draft.

The thing I find funny is pass rushers are usually drafted early. Charles Harris went the pick after us and I would of much rather had Jarrad Davis.

Outside of Garret, Barnett and Solomon Thomas. There were not a lot of good pass rushing prospects. We could of drafted Taco or Harris but neither of those guys seem very impressive. Harris is an Avril clone and Taco didn't do shit in 4 years outside of a few good games his senior year.

Overall, there wasn't a lot of good pass rushers to choose from.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

30. Detroit Lions

Just throw them on the pile of other so called "experts" who are idiots. Thankfully our coaches knew already that Ziggy, Hyder and Washington are not going to be the issue this year. They figured out early last year our lack of coverage was a huge problem and no amount of pass rush was going to change that. Hyder had like 5 sacks in the first 4 games and was one of the tops in the league and our secondary got torched in those games and we gave up like 30 points per game. Once we went to playing off and not worrying about meaningless sack stats, the defense held teams to 17 a game and we went 8-1 the next 9 games. Unfortunately that type of grinding defense will wear a team down over the months. Both Offense and Defense were not very good down the stretch. They all looked tired.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is more to a pass rush than just the pass rusher. Adding LB's that can cover and some extra DB's will improve the pass rush quite a bit I think. Does not matter if you have Reggie white on the line if your DB's cant stay with a receiver for 3 seconds.

So I think the Lions Pass rush will improve this year because Hyder and Ansah will have a little longer to get to the QB this year.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just throw them on the pile of other so called "experts" who are idiots. Thankfully our coaches knew already that Ziggy, Hyder and Washington are not going to be the issue this year. They figured out early last year our lack of coverage was a huge problem and no amount of pass rush was going to change that. Hyder had like 5 sacks in the first 4 games and was one of the tops in the league and our secondary got torched in those games and we gave up like 30 points per game. Once we went to playing off and not worrying about meaningless sack stats, the defense held teams to 17 a game and we went 8-1 the next 9 games. Unfortunately that type of grinding defense will wear a team down over the months. Both Offense and Defense were not very good down the stretch. They all looked tired.

beat me by a few seconds!

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is more to a pass rush than just the pass rusher. Adding LB's that can cover and some extra DB's will improve the pass rush quite a bit I think. Does not matter if you have Reggie white on the line if your DB's cant stay with a receiver for 3 seconds.

So I think the Lions Pass rush will improve this year because Hyder and Ansah will have a little longer to get to the QB this year.

The lack of respect Hyder got last year from media is irritating. All the guy did was anchor that D-line the entire year and made big plays when called upon. We addressed some of the D-line issues in FA too with Washington and Spence. A'shawn also will be much better this year after a slow start and strong finish last year.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The lack of respect Hyder got last year from media is irritating. All the guy did was anchor that D-line the entire year and made big plays when called upon. We addressed some of the D-line issues in FA too with Washington and Spence. A'shawn also will be much better this year after a slow start and strong finish last year.

It feels like every year Ziggy is one of the top in the league for QB pressures, but gets very few sacks. I have to think that with some extra coverage he turns a lot more of the pressures into sacks.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing I find funny is pass rushers are usually drafted early. Charles Harris went the pick after us and I would of much rather had Jarrad Davis.

Outside of Garret, Barnett and Solomon Thomas. There were not a lot of good pass rushing prospects. We could of drafted Taco or Harris but neither of those guys seem very impressive. Harris is an Avril clone and Taco didn't do shit in 4 years outside of a few good games his senior year.

Overall, there wasn't a lot of good pass rushers to choose from.

Contract year.