• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lidstrom to decide in one week

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will he stay or will he go?

May 30, ESPN: Nicklas Lidstrom will deliver his decision on his playing future to Detroit GM Ken Holland in the upcoming week. The Red Wings have their fingers crossed that he'll return, but the reality is, no one has a clue what he's going to decide. If he decides to return for another season, the next step will be to sign a contract since he's set to become an unrestricted free agent July 1. He earned $7.4 million this season, and despite the fact he remains a great defenseman at age 40, the Wings will hope to get him back for less money.

I hope he stays, but geez Lids... is it too much to ask to have you sign a nice little $5M one year deal?

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's made it into my top 5 in all-time defenseman. My list in order is Orr, Potvin, Harvey, Bourque, and Lidstrom. Sorry Larry Robinson, you've been usurped by Nik Lidstrom.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's made it into my top 5 in all-time defenseman. My list in order is Orr, Potvin, Harvey, Bourque, and Lidstrom. Sorry Larry Robinson, you've been usurped by Nik Lidstrom.

no love for murphy, dash? The guy did nothing but win cups... four, i believe, two with the pens and two with the wings. I think he had a memorial cup on his resume, as well.:cool:

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no love for murphy, dash? The guy did nothing but win cups... four, i believe, two with the pens and two with the wings. I think he had a memorial cup on his resume, as well.:cool:

Larry Murphy was a heck of a defenseman, but for some reason, he seemed to always have his fair share of critics. I think he was looked at in the same light as Phil Housley (great offensive skills, not so much in his own end), but he was a key component of multiple Stanley Cup teams. For me, he falls somewhere in the 11-20 category of all-time defensemen (i.e. just outside the top 10).

The Soggy one

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
so if he does retire, what do you guys think the wings will do? who they gonna go after?

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so if he does retire, what do you guys think the wings will do? who they gonna go after?

Supposedly, there a young 17 year old defenseman in Sweden that wears #5 (gee, I wonder why he picked that number) that Hakan Andersson probably has tagged to wear the Winged Wheel one day. Of course, that could be a few years down the road, though.

ritari330

Only a myth
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, I'm channeling my inner Rick(Jimmy)

Darling you got to let me know
Should I stay or should I go?
If you say that you are mine
I’ll be here ’til the end of time
So you got to let me know

Always tease tease tease
You’re happy when I’m on my knees
One day is fine, next day is black
So if you want me off your back
Well come on and let me know

Should I stay or should I go now?
Should I stay or should I go now?
If I go there will be trouble
An’ if I stay it will be double
So come on and let me know

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Supposedly, there a young 17 year old defenseman in Sweden that wears #5 (gee, I wonder why he picked that number) that Hakan Andersson probably has tagged to wear the Winged Wheel one day. Of course, that could be a few years down the road, though.

Are you talking about Adam Larsson, Dash? I think he's supposed to go pretty high next year (although if Lidstrom retires, maybe the Wings will be in possession of a lottery pick next draft :D )

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you talking about Adam Larsson, Dash? I think he's supposed to go pretty high next year (although if Lidstrom retires, maybe the Wings will be in possession of a lottery pick next draft :D )

That's the guy...and don't worry about the Wings, I'm thinking the Flames will be in the lottery next draft.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Lids has already made the decision (just call him Steve Austin)

A source told Booth Newspapers on Monday that Lidstrom has decided to return for another season. The club is expected to finalize a one-year contract extension this week with the six-time Norris Trophy winner as the league’s top defenseman.

Wings officials will announce later today Lidstrom has agreed to a one-year deal. The exact amount was unknown, but it is believed to be near $6 million.

postmaster

RIP Steve
Hoopla Cash
$ 250.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope he stays, but geez Lids... is it too much to ask to have you sign a nice little $5M one year deal?

Apparently it is because all the rumors seem to be hinting at closer to $6M for one year. I was really hoping he would make a bit of sacrifice for the team but I guess that isn't going to happen.

Edit: Dash beat me to it.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently it is because all the rumors seem to be hinting at closer to $6M for one year. I was really hoping he would make a bit of sacrifice for the team but I guess that isn't going to happen.

There is a certain pressure from the other 700+ members of the NHLPA to sign a fair deal. If Lids gives too much of a discount, that contract can be brought up in negotiations when other defensemen are signing deals.

postmaster

RIP Steve
Hoopla Cash
$ 250.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is a certain pressure from the other 700+ members of the NHLPA to sign a fair deal. If Lids gives too much of a discount, that contract can be brought up in negotiations when other defensemen are signing deals.

Who would have thought that no one seems to be giving big discounts in a cap era like some of the ones we saw pre-cap?

Yzerman signed for a tiny salary towards the end of his career and took less money to help the team sign Federov.

Kariya and Selanne sign for pennies to both play for the Aves to try for a cup.

I'm sure there are more but those come to mind right away.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who would have thought that no one seems to be giving big discounts in a cap era like some of the ones we saw pre-cap?

Yzerman signed for a tiny salary towards the end of his career and took less money to help the team sign Federov.

Kariya and Selanne sign for pennies to both play for the Aves to try for a cup.

I'm sure there are more but those come to mind right away.

It makes you wonder if Gary's announcement last Friday that the cap is expected to increase by $2 million put a little pep in Lids step to sign this deal quickly. Look on the bright side post, I'd rather spend $6 million on Nik for one season that $6 million on Kotalikmyballs for two seasons.