• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lidstrom: 1 year, just over $6 million

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not a bad number at all, kinda a deal. i mean, personally i feel like his leadership is worth that.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. That's a steal. Kinda makes you think all the "Sweden" chatter was just a bunch of talk to push his contract price as high as he could.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. That's a steal. Kinda makes you think all the "Sweden" chatter was just a bunch of talk to push his contract price as high as he could.

yeah, i'm pretty sure Lidstrom's done this before...i AM surprised however that he didn't take some big cut ala Stevie Y. but, it seems like such hometown discounts are dead.

postmaster

RIP Steve
Hoopla Cash
$ 250.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope that information isn't correct.
I know I might be spoiled by Yzerman but if that number is correct, it means he would never once in his career signed an offer presented by the Wings without playing the I will go to Sweden card to raise his family and push up his contract value.
This cements what I have been saying for years to fans who hate Fedorov and love Lidstrom. Lidstrom is by far closer to Fedorov when it comes to contract negotiations than he is to Yzerman.

postmaster

RIP Steve
Hoopla Cash
$ 250.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just heard $7M. I really hope that isn't true. It seems to be getting higher and higher.

Edit: Freep is confirming the $7M figure
Nicklas Lidstrom returning to Detroit Red Wings | freep.com | Detroit Free Press

"Lidstrom, 40, is expected to sign a deal worth about $7 million, which should be announced by the end of this week. "

Double Edit: they just updated that page and are saying 6.5M

Triple Edit: Now it is down to 6.2M
Lol at me for believing that hack of a source and what they were reporting on the talk radio show.

Last edited by a moderator:

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just heard $7M. I really hope that isn't true. It seems to be getting higher and higher.

It's like a Barrett-Jackson auction. How much for this vintage Detroit model Lidstrom?

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
That's awfully expensive for a 40 year old player, even if it is Lidstrom.

points in the last 3 years: 70 > 59 > 49
+/- in the last 3 years: 40 > 31 > 22

stilll a good player of course, but the trend has been established.
Age be catchin' up.

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yesh... expensive. I guess if you look at how important to his team he is, and how some similar defensemen are paid, it's not bad... but come on Nick. How much money has the Illitch family dumped into your bank account over the years? Take a cut, let Holland go get a good winger, and make one last Cup run.

The Q stache

Cabbie Slayer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wanted him to retire, I'm done with him hurting the Hawks

Automattic

I'm baaaaaaack....
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fair enough. I have no problem with this contract. I'm not the type to say that he deserves it based on what he's done in the past either. I think he deserves it because there is usually a chance that he will play in all 82 games, or at least be healthy enough to. His dropoff in stats don't really concern me that much. The cupboard was pretty bare for most of the season, and when he did pile up his points, it was when we needed them the most. He did have his usual ho hum point streak during the second half, as well. And to top it all off, his partner fumble fucked more pucks this year than he has in his whole career.

Maybe Nick hasn't given the hometown discount, but other players have taken less money to play in Detroit because of Lidstrom. Hossa could have got almost 3 million more per year if he wasn't willing to play for less than Nicks 7.5.
I also look at some of his money going towards the higher education of our young defense. If you ask me, these kinds of things do indeed give a discount to the hometown.