• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Let's Talk Dan Campbell

DetroitDevil

Consoles are for ages 3 and up & broke adults.
Supporting Member Level 2
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll admit I'm a bit shocked. He has sat out two coaching cycles after being in demand. It makes you wonder which teams he is waiting on.
Not the commodes or pete carrolls wake.

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe if he had a better FG Kicker....and he might this coming year...

Nah, he just doesn't like kickers. Badgley was kicking well and made a 54 yarder last week. He just doesn't like kicking. As was said earlier, he's a meathead.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe next year he’ll change up if he has a decent FG kicker.
I think he will. I still think he’ll take some chances, but I imagine it will be less than this year.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't blame Campbell. You can agree or disagree with his aggressive approach, but his decisions were still rational. A coach can make a conservative call or an aggressive call, and neither one is right or wrong at the given moment. People are paying too much attention to results, which are variable in any given situation. Sometimes an aggressive call leads to a good result, while sometimes it doesn't. However, it's the same thing with conservative calls. Sometimes a conservative call leads to a good result and sometimes it backfires on you.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't blame Campbell. You can agree or disagree with his aggressive approach, but his decisions were still rational. A coach can make a conservative call or an aggressive call, and neither one is right or wrong at the given moment. People are paying too much attention to results, which are variable in any given situation. Sometimes an aggressive call leads to a good result, while sometimes it doesn't. However, it's the same thing with conservative calls. Sometimes a conservative call leads to a good result and sometimes it backfires on you.
Not surprise to hear you defend it, because you've stated that you want teams to go for a first on fourth down almost always.:rolleyes:

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nah, he just doesn't like kickers. Badgley was kicking well and made a 54 yarder last week. He just doesn't like kicking. As was said earlier, he's a meathead.
In a dome though.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll admit I'm a bit shocked. He has sat out two coaching cycles after being in demand. It makes you wonder which teams he is waiting on.
Could be a case where a guy overplays his leverage. Or waits for that perfect opportunity that never comes.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not surprise to hear you defend it, because you've stated that you want teams to go for a first on fourth down almost always.:rolleyes:

True! LOL. Dan Campbell's only mistake was kicking a FG at the end of the first half. He scores a TD there and the Lions would've ended up winning by 1 or going into OT if the Niners had gone for 2 points at some point.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He didnt sit out last year did he? No one was going to offer him a gig last year after being OC for 9 games.

Him turning down the Washington gig just proves he is smart. New owner wanting to see things happen with an absolute dogshit roster. Recipe for 1.5 year head coaching gig to whoever takes that one.

It would be a surprise if he actually turning down the Seahawks job. That job would be enticing or any coach. But my guess is that he knows he wasnt going to win that one so he puts out this statement turning down WA but also acting like he was turning down Seattle.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be a surprise if he actually turning down the Seahawks job. That job would be enticing or any coach. But my guess is that he knows he wasnt going to win that one so he puts out this statement turning down WA but also acting like he was turning down Seattle.
It would be a surprise if this speculation were actually true.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Usually, I’m co-signing this perspective in the way people Monday Morning QB. But not in this case. There are still a ton of football fans who haven’t adjusted to the aggressive perspective in the sport and philosophically they’re opposed to going for it in those spots. I bet most of the people here saying the two decisions were bone headed were saying that Sunday in real time as it played out.

I was. They aren't the scrappy "what have we got to lose?" Lions that everyone thinks is a cute story anymore. Badgley is roughly 80% lifetime and just < 90% the last 3 seasons from 40-49. The Lions made 53% of their 4th down tries this season and this was the Niners at their place. I love the guy but he needs to tap the brakes on that stuff.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He's 12 for 15 > 40 yards the past 2 seasons.

DetroitDevil

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well what if he just wants to have a better resume before making the leap to HC?

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well what if he just wants to have a better resume before making the leap to HC?

If I had to guess, he sees this team as a SB roster next season, especially if they have another great draft. If the Lions do have another solid offensive season and/or make a SB run, he will most likely be THE top candidate next year.

It would be tough to walk away from a team, potentially watch them go to a SB, and your coaching a team with 5 or less wins. One more season won’t hurt his resume.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tough to improve an OC's resume from "I took a shitty team offense and a cast-off Qb and made them into a top 5 offense for 2 years straight." That dog won't hunt.

DetroitDevil

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tough to improve an OC's resume from "I took a shitty team offense and a cast-off Qb and made them into a top 5 offense for 2 years straight." That dog won't hunt.
He also has been with the lions since 2019, and started as a quality coach… before being promoted to TE coach. Moving on is the only way up for him, but for some reason he didnt pull the trigger. It cant be just that DC and Seattle are shitholes.

Can it?

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He also has been with the lions since 2019, and started as a quality coach… before being promoted to TE coach. Moving on is the only way up for him, but for some reason he didnt pull the trigger. It cant be just that DC and Seattle are shitholes.
It could be family reasons (wife/family doesn't want to move), could be that it's not about money (his contract was 'adjusted' last year). Maybe he wanted the LAC job b/c they already had the QB. Could be that he really likes being an OC and doesn't really want to be a HC all that badly.

I don't really buy the "I want to go to the SB in Detroit next year" b/c that is very unlikely just b/c of the nature of the game every year.

Considering where he is, If not HC, he has nowhere to go but down.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,071.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Detroit is in a good spot.

Add some playmakers on defense and another good draft and they should be even better.