• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Let's Talk Dan Campbell

lilchi721

Hoopla Cash
$ 20,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's a meathead that can still read a 4th down bot. They Lions have a bad D and gave up 34+ points. Going for it was very obviously the right call, imo. The fundamental problem is the 49ers are just better. Detroit had the right plan, and still couldn't knock them out.

Campbell doesn't "suck," for going for it when he is supposed to... the better team just won, imo.
So now you blame Aarron Glenn for the lost.

redskinsfan1963

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Na, I am already good. I watched my team play in games they never had before. I am not going to let a bad half at the end derail it. I am normally weeks into draft research by now. If my team had a lot of recent success I am sure it would be different. I have a just happy to be here outlook.....and so did the Lions.
certainly had more of a chance that they did their last championship game.

Stlducks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Campbell is a young head coach in terms of experience. Hopefully he learns from the aggressive play calls and learns when to be aggressive and when to take the points.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The lions should have kicked field goals on both 4th down attempts. You're on the road against the #1 seed and one of the best offenses in the league. Take as many points as you can get.. That stupid lucky catch hurt too.

Campbell is a buffoon.....

Detroits 35% 4th down convrrsions,seems like a lot,but thats a 65% your not making it.......35% might be a good number when your winning a game,going for the kill,or in the regularseason vs piss poor teams and youdothat,but against top notch teams,goinf to the SB and to be in a place at SB.......absolutley dumb.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Napoleon Dynamite Fighting GIF

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's be honest, even IF Campbell did what everyone "wanted" him to do and the Lions still lost they would be calling for his head for NOT going for it on 4th and others...

I don't falt him at all for trying to keep the foot on the peddle.... It just didn't work out because players didn't execute
I totally disagree. Those of us who watch a ton of football (and I'm assuming that's pretty much everyone on this board) make a decision in our own mind abut whether we think it's the right or wrong call before the ball is even snapped. So I don't think people are saying it was dumb because it failed, they are saying it was a bad decision because when he made the decision and before the play was even run it was immediately and obviously stupid. Now if someone felt it wasn't a bad decision until after the play was over and then criticized it I agree with you, but that's disingenuous and not what I think happened here. There are always people who accuse others of second guessing, but to me that's just because it's the only way they can defend their thoughts that it wasn't a stupid decision, because it sure as hell was x 2. And I won't even get into how stupid it was to run the ball at the goal line on the last drive and basically end the game whether you score or not, because with the new onside kick rules it's almost impossible to recover one.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's be honest, even IF Campbell did what everyone "wanted" him to do and the Lions still lost they would be calling for his head for NOT going for it on 4th and others...

I don't falt him at all for trying to keep the foot on the peddle.... It just didn't work out because players didn't execute
I tend to agree. If Campbell had gone for FGs both those times and he only made one of them and they still lost, Campbell would be criticized today for not being "true to himself" or not riding the horse that got him there.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What game were you watching? They were up 10 when they passed on the first FG and down 3 on the second.
No, what game were you watching?:D

They were up 14 which is a huge part of why it was such a horrible decision. To go up 3 scores at that point of the game would have been huge. Instead they stayed up two scores and let the momentum swing towards a team that hadn't had it all day. If they were up 10 and a FG would have still kept it a 2 score game I could see it a little more. But even with 2 TDs and 2 two point conversion you are still down if you kick a FG there. It's not just saying going for it is dumb, it's saying going for it in that specific circumstance is dumb which is why the comments that "he always does it" are off base and not applicable. Every situation is different. I love Campbell and would take him as my team's HC in a second, but that doesn't mean these specific decision weren't moronic.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not likely. Belicheck and Campbell have different styles in the way they run and coach their team. When a guy gets his chance to be a head coach in the NFL he has to be himself. You take the good with the bad. Campbell, right or wrong, was the same guy he has always been as a head coach yesterday.
That is just it. He needs to improve. He is great at some things but sometimes has no common sense.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, what game were you watching?:D

They were up 14 which is a huge part of why it was such a horrible decision. To go up 3 scores at that point of the game would have been huge. Instead they stayed up two scores and let the momentum swing towards a team that hadn't had it all day. If they were up 10 and a FG would have still kept it a 2 score game I could see it a little more. But even with 2 TDs and 2 two point conversion you are still down if you kick a FG there. It's not just saying going for it is dumb, it's saying going for it in that specific circumstance is dumb which is why the comments that "he always does it" are off base and not applicable. Every situation is different. I love Campbell and would take him as my team's HC in a second, but that doesn't mean these specific decision weren't moronic.
Agree. If you kept reading you would have seen that we went through this. It was just a typo. 14 was the number. I did said 3 scores though. It was an easy decision and Campbell messed it up.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I totally disagree. Those of us who watch a ton of football (and I'm assuming that's pretty much everyone on this board) make a decision in our own mind abut whether we think it's the right or wrong call before the ball is even snapped. So I don't think people are saying it was dumb because it failed, they are saying it was a bad decision because when he made the decision and before the play was even run it was immediately and obviously stupid. Now if someone felt it wasn't a bad decision until after the play was over and then criticized it I agree with you, but that's disingenuous and not what I think happened here. There are always people who accuse others of second guessing, but to me that's just because it's the only way they can defend their thoughts that it wasn't a stupid decision, because it sure as hell was x 2. And I won't even get into how stupid it was to run the ball at the goal line on the last drive and basically end the game whether you score or not, because with the new onside kick rules it's almost impossible to recover one.

I am referring to all the sports "experts" on twitter and ESPN calling for his head.. Had it worked out and the Lions won all you would have heard about was how he such a gutsy coach and what a brilliant idea it was. Since it didn't work, "He was so wrong, never should have done it."

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am referring to all the sports "experts" on twitter and ESPN calling for his head.. Had it worked out and the Lions won all you would have heard about was how he such a gutsy coach and what a brilliant idea it was. Since it didn't work, "He was so wrong, never should have done it."
Anyone calling for his head is crazy. I could see him lessening his Wild West mentality with 4th downs in the future, but it does make it difficult to defend this offense.

With a new OC next year, I imagine they will be less risky. I guess we’ll see. Hopefully he continues to grow as a Head Coach.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone calling for his head is crazy. I could see him lessening his Wild West mentality with 4th downs in the future, but it does make it difficult to defend this offense.

With a new OC next year, I imagine they will be less risky. I guess we’ll see. Hopefully he continues to grow as a Head Coach.

Seems like all the "experts" are bashing him

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I tend to agree. If Campbell had gone for FGs both those times and he only made one of them and they still lost, Campbell would be criticized today for not being "true to himself" or not riding the horse that got him there.
Said this earlier, they weren't the same decision to make...going for it up 14 to put the game away isn't the worst idea, no problem with that one. Not taking points to literally tie the game in the 4th quarter is really stupid.